Talk

Advanced search

Leaving after AS exams

(8 Posts)
user1494482665 Fri 12-May-17 07:11:53

Hi, some advice please. My 17 year old ways to drop out of sixth form and go to college, (knows the course he wants to do, and has been told hell almost definitely be offered a place). He's planning on taking the AS exams, then not returning. He has a part time job, which he says he'll get more hours for until college starts. He's doing ok at school. I'm devestated that he wants to leave. He's a clever boy, but is so disspondent with sixth form that he's given up really. I'm not sure the course is the right one for him. He's doing engineering, as he's researched and thinks it's the best one for future prospects. He's never shown any interest in building or making things, or finding out how things work. Both me and his dad have been very supportive, I've not told him how I feel, but we are not convinced this is the right course for him. He's always been more of an academic student.
Should I meet with his tutor? And, where do we stand with regards to family allowance? Thank you in advance!

LIZS Fri 12-May-17 07:29:56

As long as he enrols on course CB will continue until he leaves college. DN left after AS and is now doing a btec level 3. Sometimes the practical element is more motivating. Maybe agree to review when results come out in August and meantime look into the alternatives.

FastForward2 Fri 12-May-17 08:03:50

Engineering courses at uni BEng/MEng level can be accessed via btec rather than a levels if that is what he is intending. You dont say what has disillusioned him but could it be the changed syllabus, teacher low morale??

A uni admissions tutors for elec eng I have spoken to said that they find those that arrive via the btec route are better at practical side but sometimes need catch up lessons in maths, but no question they can both get there.

Has he looked at the new degree apprenticeships, there is a website you can search www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship. You can get paid and study at the same time, and the company pays the tuition fees so you come out with a degree and no dept. It is hard work but sounds like your son is a hard worker.

You could talk to the tutor, but but also perhaps talk to the college staff where he wants to go. Does it have a good track record getting people into engineering etc etc?

BTW Professional Engineering is difficult and can be very academic at uni level, it has long been underrated in the UK but in some countries is treated on a par with medicine and law! People with engineering degrees can go on into management as they can understand what can make atechnical project success or fail.

PS congrats on having a son who has the motivation to get a job and do the research himself, I think he will go far, but you are right to be concerned and perhaps a chat with the college staff might help you decide whether you agree with his decision.

user1494482665 Fri 12-May-17 18:06:16

Thank you for your advice, very much appreciated. 😀💐

TeenAndTween Fri 12-May-17 18:33:22

What course is he thinking of switching to?

user1494482665 Fri 12-May-17 20:21:28

An engineering BTEC.

FastForward2 Sat 13-May-17 07:36:17

I think he may also need to do Maths if the aim us to go to uni for engineering, you can check the entry requirements on uni websites, or phone them up. Is there a careers adviser at the college?

user1494482665 Sat 13-May-17 07:56:21

His plan is to do the BTEC, two years, then hopefully get a higher level apprentaship. He has never wanted to go to uni. He'd also like to fit a gap year in somewhere, but that's another story! 😀

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now