Talk

Advanced search

Mixed independent secondary Fleet/Camberley/Reading - ideas?

(9 Posts)
rushingaroundmum Thu 11-May-17 10:25:44

Hi everyone, we are starting to think about a secondary school for DS, who is academic, not very sporty, and I think would be happiest in a mixed school. Our local secondary is Robert Mays, which is supposed to be excellent but is huge. Independent is definitely an option but I am struggling to identify mixed secondary options apart from Lord Wandsworth, which is out of our price bracket (as we need to be prepared to send DD when she moves to secondary too). Any ideas would be appreciated. Wondered about Hawley Place and Luckley Oakfield but both seem to have mostly girls?

Witchend Thu 11-May-17 18:04:51

Hawley place only changed to mixed in the seniors last September I think so it will still be mostly girls.

Leeds2 Thu 11-May-17 19:16:03

In the past, Hawley Place would not really be a choice for an academic child. Things may have changed but, I suspect, unlikely.

GU24Mum Thu 11-May-17 22:07:01

Assuming you're in Hook, you are in a bit of a pocket where you aren't near to that many schools! How about Sherfield? Or perhaps stick to single sex as that may open up more choices? I'd agree that the two schools you've suggested certainly don't say "academic" to me, sorry. How far can you travel and what's the best direction for you?

rushingaroundmum Fri 12-May-17 14:22:29

Thank you for all your comments. I suppose we could travel as far as Reading, Farnham, Basingstoke, but not sure that opens up many more options. Interesting that neither school is seen as very academic as I had wondered. Perhaps Robert Mays is our best bet after all!

Mary21 Fri 12-May-17 14:48:04

Leighton Park?

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Fri 12-May-17 14:53:44

I've heard good things about LP.

Have you considered trying for a grammar?

rushingaroundmum Sat 13-May-17 18:42:35

Leighton Park does look good, thank you. Grammars are single sex too unfortunately :-(

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Sat 13-May-17 21:00:18

Burnham and Marlow are mixed, but no idea what the commute would be like for you. I know a child from the area you describe, who goes to Burnham and is very happy there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now