Talk

Advanced search

Boarding School offering BTEC Level 3 Performing Arts

(10 Posts)
HKMum2 Mon 08-May-17 11:37:23

I'm looking for a good/excellent boarding school that is able to offer my DD BTEC Performing Arts in Sixth Form. She'll be moving from Hong Kong to finish her last 2 years and given her passion for the stage and lack of love for exams, would ideally be suited to BTEC Performing Arts rather than A levels. She's never lived in the UK so a caring school with amazing pastoral is a must.
I know about Tring Park but would like to know about others ideally in the South. Drama scholarships would be an advantage too.
Many thanks in advance.

Dawnedlightly Mon 08-May-17 11:39:17

Hurtwood House? It's a performing arts boarding school, don't know whether it offers bTEC though.

LIZS Mon 08-May-17 12:37:13

Bedes near Eastbourne? Hurst College and Brighton College also both strong on performing arts but not sure whether they offer btecs.

bojorojo Mon 08-May-17 12:52:18

Queenswood School near Potters Bar is very strong on Theatre and Drama. (See Good Schools Guide). I do not think they do BTEC, but you would have other girls from HK there. They have a good settling in process. I think Tring Park is a much higher level than BTEC in that it trains for the professional stage. It is also primarily dance or musical theatre at 6th form I believe.

homebythesea Mon 08-May-17 13:27:50

No BTEC at Hurtwood, but neither are they particularly academically selective for A level courses. It's v expensive though so may not be an option anyway (only 6 scholarships on offer so must be exceptionally talented). Italia Conti offer local accommodation I think but not a school as such.

Zodlebud Mon 08-May-17 16:46:30

Westonbirt has just introduced this course AND they offer drama scholarships. It's in The Cotswolds though so may be a little far North.

Zodlebud Mon 08-May-17 17:41:54

I was recently at Tring Park on an Open Day again and I do honestly believe that for a talented child it is totally the right place to gain a sound academic basis and outstanding vocational training alongside each other.

My main concern is the total lack of anything else though - no sport (in case of injury) or other extra curricular stuff.

Boarding accommodation was lovely.

Mary21 Mon 08-May-17 18:29:54

Peter symonds offers btec performing arts and has boarding. www.psc.ac.uk/courses/

bojorojo Mon 08-May-17 21:56:02

Yes but Tring in the 6th form has two strands and neither is acting on its own. Dance is big there and that's why there is no sport. It is perfectly good enough to do drama A level with staff who know the time of day and then go to Drama School at 18 or older. Everyone we know did this route except for the dancers!

Zodlebud Mon 08-May-17 23:10:26

Tring Park has four standalone streams available at sixth form - dance, musical theatre, commercial music and acting. All of which can be complimented with more traditional study.

There are many ways to get into drama school at 18, and I agree a school like this isn't either a necessity or a guarantee of future success. OP wanted a boarding school which offers a specific qualification and very few do.... A-level drama is a very different beast to the B-Tec in the way it is both taught and assessed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now