Talk

Advanced search

My Daughter gets harsh Detention

(30 Posts)
Charlotte1034 Fri 21-Apr-17 20:29:26

Today my eldest DD year 9 came home later from school than she usually would and when she got in I asked her why and she told me she had been at a 20 minute after school detention for burping in PE while playing netball in the gym. she was upset as she got sent out of the lesson and made to change back into her uniform for the rest of the lesson and copy from a textbook. I didn't know what to say to her to be honest she seems fine now she has calmed down . It sounds silly to me and ridiculous can a teacher do this ?

TheSecondOfHerName Fri 21-Apr-17 20:31:14

It could have been worse...

www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/21/austria-belch-conviction-overturned

ImperialBlether Fri 21-Apr-17 20:32:34

Wasn't this a thread a few weeks ago? Exactly the same scenario.

PurpleDaisies Fri 21-Apr-17 20:32:52

It depends on whether she was accidentally burping or if she was deliberately being disruptive or disrespectful. I'd be very surprised if it was a simple as your daughter is making out.

Wolfiefan Fri 21-Apr-17 20:34:13

Have I slipped through time?
Exactly the same thread very recently?!
hmm

TheSecondOfHerName Fri 21-Apr-17 20:38:57

OP: was she wearing plimsolls? wink

Anasnake Fri 21-Apr-17 20:40:09

Repeat thread ?? Definitely read this before

ImperialBlether Fri 21-Apr-17 20:43:17

Repeat thread, yet it happened today to a new poster.

Charlotte1034 Fri 21-Apr-17 20:49:13

True she didn't say alot to me other than that she said she just burped while playing in the middle of the game maybe her teacher deems it to be bad mannered ?

ScarlettFreestone Fri 21-Apr-17 20:58:59

I would want to hear the full story, because you definitely don't have all the information here.

SuperPissed Fri 21-Apr-17 20:59:49

Do you have anything from the teacher confirming that is why she was in detention or do you only have DDs word for it?

Because I agree it does sound silly, so would question if that was in fact the actual/only reason she was kept behind.

Charlotte1034 Fri 21-Apr-17 21:31:54

No should I find out she plays sports for the school so I am a bit worried the teacher will stop selecting her maybe ?

ScarlettFreestone Fri 21-Apr-17 21:41:43

This could be something and nothing but your daughter needs to tell you what actually happened.

ToffeeCaramel Sat 22-Apr-17 12:03:49

If it was a loud burp it's a bit rude, she could have stifled it, so i think it's ok. 20 mins after school isn't very long.

ToffeeCaramel Sat 22-Apr-17 12:04:22

I doubt they'd stop selecting her

tovelitime Sun 23-Apr-17 18:16:34

Did the loud burp follow 15 minutes of whispering to her friend, giggling and trying to make person in front of her laugh? I suspect that there's more to this story than she has shared with you and that she had been arsing about for most of the lesson and the teacher had had enough

Trifleorbust Sun 23-Apr-17 18:51:39

Whatever her version of events, she will have excluded whatever level of detail she believes she can get away with, so that you back her up. If she said the detention was for laughing, she would exclude the fact that she was laughing persistently and inappropriately. If she said it was for standing up, she would exclude the fact that she had been asked repeatedly not to stand up. Etc. This is just what kids do.

ragged Sun 23-Apr-17 18:58:09

Loud burping is gross & disrespectful. Most people can control it.

So, er, how did her friends react? Did she even apologise or was it a half-asked "Oh yeah I'm SO sorry I have behaved like a gross cow in the middle of this stupid PE lessons anyway" kind of apology.

Charlotte1034 Mon 24-Apr-17 09:04:36

I have spoken to her teacher this morning she told me my DD got frustrated with something that had happened in the game and had got into an argument with another girl then when they were next to each other again by DD obviously had to Burp but instead of doing in nicely or away from another player she belched right in the girls face her teacher said she didn't see it but some of the other girls brought it to her attention as she had heard the burp . My DD did then belched again anyway so her teacher went with the decision to send her out of the lesson then the head of the PE department gave her detention so I agree with there decision her teacher said she has noticed my DD and this girl have been at each other alot since the girl came to the school in January . The teacher said my DD needs to stop others from winding her up because she is good at sport and she has liked her since year 7 but says she reacts to things that are said to her and then ends up being the one punished

Charlotte1034 Mon 24-Apr-17 09:06:03

My DD apologised to her teacher and the girl in question and to me and her dad so I hope it's a lesson learnt

RancidOldHag Mon 24-Apr-17 09:33:48

She got in an arguement, belched in someone's face on purpose, and then wonders why she's being sanctioned for it?

Yes, she needs to learn some self control - year 9s are age 13/14 (assuming you are in England) but both her behaviour and her blame-shifting would have suggested a much, much younger DC had you not mentioned the school year.

Ingles2 Mon 24-Apr-17 09:41:21

Haha please! Your dd burped loudly in someone's face as an aggressive act and you are here wondering if the teacher should give her a 20 mins detention! FYI, that kind of behaviour is cheap and nasty, usually used by the more aggressive kids and will be noticed by everyone.. So if it's team selection you're worried about, you can forget about that! Honestly!

ToffeeCaramel Mon 24-Apr-17 10:01:10

Ah ok, so she got off quite lightly with the 20 mins really. Good she has apologised now.

ArtemisiaGentilleschi Mon 24-Apr-17 10:04:10

She sounds disgusting.
I hope you have told her how unacceptable her behaviour is.

She isn't the girl from the other week is she? A serial burper? shock

Allthebestnamesareused Mon 24-Apr-17 10:34:43

That is why parents should be in possession of the full facts before complaining on an internet forum about how ridiculous a teacher has been!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now