Talk

Advanced search

Wimbledon High

(20 Posts)
NappyValleyMum Fri 21-Apr-17 11:37:24

Let me say at the outset that this school and Woldingham are my two favorites for dd10. Visited and loved Wokdingham. WHS was based on ethos, location and groundedness reputationally. Only saw it for the first time today. Loved the head and her passion. She clearly lives and feels the values that I went to see the school for.

The open day today, however, underwhelmed me otherwise. The facilities are poorer than many state schools. I wondered why they bothered with a uniform as half the girls were in PE kit, and thr violinist in y11 who played for us was in own dress. The y10 girl who took us around was unengaging and unengaged. I felt none of the passion that the head displayed. The buildings smelled in many places. I also felt the marketing team had not ensured that the school'a best foot was put forward.

I really like the idea of WHS. Pls, pls can some of you who know it well pls reassure me that it is all I think it is? I went in a net promoter...and came out of today (thank goodness for the head) less sure. Surely that is not what marketing intends?

Wimbledonian Fri 21-Apr-17 12:04:18

Yr 11s aren't in uniform as they are doing GCSEs and are allowed to wear their own clothes this term
If you don't like the fact that they wear PE kit and clearly do PE that's a bizarre reason not to like it.
It's a London school on a small site and inevitably doesn't have masses of space. I suggest you look at KGS to see a really cramped school!
How many state schools locally have swimming pools on site, a theatre with professional equipment, incredible music and rowing? None that I know of.

SmashedIt Fri 21-Apr-17 12:20:59

I'm an ex-WHS girl and I really enjoyed my time there, I've heard that the new head is fab. Whilst it's been a couple of years since my last visit, I think that you're wildly exaggerating the facilities of state schools. I've taught in quite a few myself! Have you been to see the sports field at Nursery Road?
There is a pool, a theatre, a cooking/tech department, the arts attic... Not to mention the separate facility for sports!
And yes, year 11s in their final term and the sixth form are allowed to wear own clothes, I'm afraid that that's common for most schools.
Additionally, I'm not sure about your hatred of p.e. Kit? Would you rather they did sports in their pencil skirts or not at all? P.e. Kits are standard at all schools!

If you have any questions feel free to pm me

NappyValleyMum Fri 21-Apr-17 13:58:59

I don't hate PE kit... but there were more out of uniform than in. Why not let them all dress in own clothes?

cakeisalwaystheanswer Fri 21-Apr-17 14:12:20

They were probably in PE kit because they had matches before/after the open day or because they were demonstrating some type PE activity at some point in the open day. I am local and it is very common to see WH in sports kit as it is Kings College, and all the other local Indy schools because they do so much sport. It would not be helpful if they all wore their own clothes on open days as visitors wouldn't know who to approach to ask questions etc.
If you prefer Woldingham then thats your preference, don't try and force yourself to like WHS.

ivy30 Fri 21-Apr-17 14:15:19

The girls are allowed to stay in PE kit or change earlier for the clubs that happen after school to save them time and that will explain so many you've seen today, probably my dd was amongst them.
Girls have so many opportunities there apart from the academic work - many clubs and activities to try and find something they enjoy. The theatre is great and swimming pool is on site (will be refurbished before the start of the next school year). Very strong music department and excellent sport teams. For major sports they have teams from A to F (most schools will only have A to C) which means that if someone wants to play they have the chance to do so.
Plenty of trips and visits to supplement work in class, not an extreme amount of homework and homework-free holidays and Wednesdays. Exams results are excellent and the head is very enthusiastic as you have already mentioned.

NappyValleyMum Fri 21-Apr-17 15:27:14

Thank you for the reassurance! I really do love the idea of WHS. Their open day just didn't win swing voters in my estimation. Thanks to those who have reassured on the pith of WHS.

jeanne16 Fri 21-Apr-17 18:07:01

Don't choose any school because they have a swimming pool btw. You will find your DC hardly ever uses it. Maintenance costs are so high that schools rent the pool out regularly to other schools!

Dancergirl Mon 24-Apr-17 13:59:30

Don't choose any school because they have a swimming pool btw. You will find your DC hardly ever uses it

Very true. My dd was very impressed with the lovely swimming pool at her school. I assumed swimming would be part of the PE curriculum every year. They had swimming for about half of Year 7, a bit of Year 8 and then never again!

ivy30 Mon 24-Apr-17 15:22:50

Some truth in it, I agree, as well as not choosing the school based on facilities. The junior girls use the pool much more often than seniors, although there is recreational swimming time during out of school hours (normally before school). Also families can become members of the swimming club and use the pool some evenings and Saturday mornings.

FlumePlume Tue 25-Apr-17 14:22:24

Does anyone know anything about dance at WHS? I'm planning on going to an open day to look around, but I was wondering if they have a dance studio / clubs or whether the focus is more on team sports?

The information about homework was really useful - I really like the sound of their approach.

ivy30 Tue 25-Apr-17 16:00:07

There is definitely more emphasis on team sports - netball, hockey, rounders (in juniors), swimming and gymnastics. They do some tennis and athletics in the summer term, and additional tennis coaching is now available on some Saturdays. There is gym/dance as part of junior and start of seniors PE curriculum with the focus on gym.

OhTheRoses Thu 27-Apr-17 21:24:17

It may be that of you didn't like it, it's the wrong school for your family.

It's academically rigorous, pretty pastoral, has music and art for those who love it. Small, local and friendly. A very sensible uniform Imo and certainly does NOT smell.

It sounds as though you and your DD would be happier elsewhere so I suggest that's what you do.

NappyValleyMum Sat 29-Apr-17 20:33:09

No need to tell me to go elsewhere. I came on here because I genuinely want to probe. My expectations were not met on the day (and it did smell). But instead of writing it off, I came here to get under the skin of the school from those in the know. No need to blow me off for asking (based on the open day) very valid questions. But thank you to those who took the time to provide colour. I plan to go back and see the school again.

OhTheRoses Sat 29-Apr-17 20:51:26

You have criticised someone else's child and named the year.

I'm in the know. It's an environment that doesn't appreciate your sort of conduct. You didn't like it, you've publicly dissed it. Go elsewhere .

GU24Mum Sat 29-Apr-17 21:07:19

I don't know anything about the school but I've got girls in similar schools and some days they are mostly in PE kit: it just depends on their schedules. If they have PE either as a lesson or a club (am, lunchtime or after school), most don't bother changing. If that conceptuallly bothers you, it may rule out other schools too.....

jeanne16 Sun 30-Apr-17 07:53:10

Ohtheroses. What on earth do you mean by 'I am in the know'? That sounds quite threatening. Wimbledon High is a highly successful and massively over subscribed school. I am sure they will easily survive some minor criticism in this thread.

goodbyestranger Sun 30-Apr-17 10:08:24

jeanne I think OhTheRoses was merely responding to OP's request for views 'from those in the know'.

I can't see that saying a Y10 girl was a bit uninterested is an issue OhTheRoses.

I went to a sister GDST school. I'm not sure they're as good as they used to be, relative to other schools but they're ok.

sunshinesupermum Sun 30-Apr-17 10:15:32

BFs DD went to Woldingham, loved it and thrived there. It has all the space and facilities you want.

ToffeeCaramel Sun 30-Apr-17 10:59:33

Woldingham is near me. We've been to a concert there and i know someone with a dd there and people who applied but couldn't afford it! By all accounts it's lovely there. Such a lovely location/environment and they sound very supportive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now