Talk

Advanced search

Wyvern Academy, Darlington

(6 Posts)
teachermum73 Thu 20-Apr-17 19:59:03

Hello! Does anyone have experience with Wyvern Academy in Darlington? I'm moving to the area and this is the nearest secondary with places available. DD is due to start y7 in September.

Tinuviel Fri 21-Apr-17 12:05:39

I did my first teaching practice there but it was a long time ago. It's had a couple of name changes since then and only became Wyvern very recently. A friend of my sons was there till last year and did well but their results aren't great generally.

Here is a comparison of Darlington results. Wyvern was Darlington School of Maths and Science. HTH.

teachermum73 Fri 21-Apr-17 12:25:31

Thank you! We are trying to get DD into hummersknott as it is the nearest to us but it is oversubscribed and we are having to go to appeal. As a teacher, I know that OFSTED doesn't give the whole picture but I want DD to be happy. It's so stressful!

alphabetti Sat 22-Apr-17 23:49:38

I have a child at Hummersknott and another due to start in Sept and it was my and my child's 1st choice school and I am really pleased with it. I really hope your child manages to get s place there.

I know people who have children at Wyvern that are doing well there. from what I've heard the school is not the best but is not the worst in Darlington either.

PickAChew Sun 23-Apr-17 00:00:45

Has it changed name again?

Unless the local culture has changed radically with the school management, it's not a school I'd choose over any other.

teachermum73 Sun 23-Apr-17 09:51:59

It changed name at the start of the year and I believe there is new management in place. We are going to go through the appeals procedure for the 2 schools we want but I we will pay Wyvern a visit so I can see the place for myself and ask a few questions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now