Talk

Advanced search

Teachers...is this normal or am I over reacting?

(50 Posts)
yohoohoo Wed 19-Apr-17 23:36:29

Can I have some advice on this situation which happened today...

DD 12 stayed behind at school tonight to help set up for an exhibitionon for tomorrow night. During this time she went with a teacher in her car to a local shop to buy some some snacks and materials. Teacher couldnt park so gave DD bank card and pin number for her to go in a buy the stuff.

Im shocked 😕 because:

I thought DD was at school
Is it the norm for pupils to go out in the teachers car just the 2 of them
Was there insurance
My child was out of the teachers sight in the shop
My child was asked to use the teachers card and had pin number

Im just shocked or is this quite the norm???

EduCated Wed 19-Apr-17 23:39:35

It does seem an unusual situation, and one lots of teachers would avoid putting themselves into.

hesterton Wed 19-Apr-17 23:40:40

Neither normal nor are you over reacting. Very unwise of teacher. But probably all done with the best intentions. Why don't you have a word and say you don't want this happening again.

FanSpamTastic Wed 19-Apr-17 23:40:52

I'm not a teacher but a parent with kids at secondary. I would say it is a tad unusual. My dd has gone in a car with a teacher to an after school event - but school called and asked for permission and she was with another pupil, so not alone. I knew she was going and when they would be back.

AntigoneJones Wed 19-Apr-17 23:41:03

why have you started a second thread on the same topic ?
obviously this is not the norm, and the teacher is foolish and naive.

yohoohoo Wed 19-Apr-17 23:41:49

DD thinks it's hillarious being given the bank card and pin number well impressed.

I just feel uncomfortable about all of it.

justkeeponsmiling Wed 19-Apr-17 23:42:07

Why have you started three separate threads about this tonight confused

yohoohoo Wed 19-Apr-17 23:42:53

Because I'd like more "teacher" input

yohoohoo Wed 19-Apr-17 23:44:14

Lots of parents posting but I'd like a teachers perspective. Some areas have more traffic at this time of night hmm

justkeeponsmiling Wed 19-Apr-17 23:45:09

You have had plenty of teacher input on your first thread. Jeeez I get that this is odd but come on!

yohoohoo Wed 19-Apr-17 23:45:12

Plus Im guessing these sections are more appropriate

AntigoneJones Wed 19-Apr-17 23:45:53

<sigh> well I am from a family of school teachers and can assure you that this teacher is not acting in a 'normal' way and she is being very silly.
Sorry I only teach EFL myself ,

EvilTwins Wed 19-Apr-17 23:46:10

I've taken kids to/from events in my car before though their parents always know. I wouldn't give them my bank card though I have given cash to get things for shows etc (but ask for change and receipts) Honestly, I wouldn't make a massive fuss about this. Sounds like it was all done with the best of intentions and you could potentially make her feel like she's done something really awful. How old is the teacher?

EduCated Wed 19-Apr-17 23:48:43

Just seen your other thread, where yes you did have plenty of teacher input (and where your DD was a DS).

Have you considered how (/if) you might approach the school about it?

yohoohoo Wed 19-Apr-17 23:48:59

Justkeepon - there were only 3 teacher replies and 1 was a new teacher.

yohoohoo Wed 19-Apr-17 23:52:06

Im there tomorrow night so am going to speak to the teacher in person just yo highlight I'd rather be made aware if my child was being taken out of school and rather they were not given bank cards

yohoohoo Wed 19-Apr-17 23:53:04

In fact probably helpful for the teacher as well to realise boundaries have been crossed

EvilTwins Wed 19-Apr-17 23:55:21

How old is the teacher? Several people have asked.

AntigoneJones Wed 19-Apr-17 23:56:06

I wouldn't mention it tbh.

EvilTwins Wed 19-Apr-17 23:57:17

Certainly a bit off to speak to teacher at the concert. Which is being done, unpaid, in her own time, for the benefit of the children.

yohoohoo Wed 19-Apr-17 23:57:31

I dont know age need to check tomorrow ... would age be a factor???

yohoohoo Wed 19-Apr-17 23:59:16

Evil...what if something had happened to the teacher and my child today.

NonnoMum Thu 20-Apr-17 00:00:06

A bit unwise of the teacher, but with a concert looming there would have been a mad time pressure (was it to get flowers/refreshemtns/presents etc?) . Please don't mention it until after the concert.

ScarletSienna Thu 20-Apr-17 00:00:30

What is it you would like people to give you advice on about your DD/DS?

AntigoneJones Thu 20-Apr-17 00:00:44

yes but it didn't did it?
I am sure the teacher is responsible and insured...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now