Talk

Advanced search

Merchant Taylor's girls or scarisbrick hall

(5 Posts)
mge Mon 17-Apr-17 16:43:49

We are trying to decide between the two for year 7. Scarisbrick is so up and coming with lovely facilities and a nurturing feel. Merchants has a great academic reputation and is more established. Our DD is very bright and will be fine anywhere I'm sure but the schools are so different it's hard to choose. Any parents at either school have a view? Especially Scarisbrick parents - enough challenge?

Lindayeno123 Wed 26-Apr-17 23:53:38

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

warsawseesaw Mon 08-May-17 10:16:19

Just replying to your query as no-one else has, and I was in exactly the same position (for myself) forty years ago!!!

Which does your DD prefer? My parents let me decide and I chose MT because, like your DD, I was very bright and consequently liked the purposeful, hard-working atmosphere there. It worked out well for me as I ended up at Oxbridge.

Obviously I know very little about either school these days, apart from the glossy, colour magazine I'm sent from MT every year which shows the school clearly still has a very vibrant atmosphere.

Interestingly we've been in a similar predicament for DS2 recently. He's currently at a grammar school but for various complicated reasons will be moving to a boarding school for Sixth Form. He's extremely clever and had a choice between a well-established, business-like, large-ish school with lots of activities on offer, or a more up-and-coming smaller school with a fantastically nurturing, family-like, holistic environment. I thought he'd chose the latter because everyone there was so incredibly welcoming, but he hasn't. He says that it's so important to him that he does well academically that he needs to be somewhere where he knows he'll be pushed and there will be other children of a similar ability to him.

I suppose it depends whether your DD wants to be a big fish in a small pond, or a small fish in a big pond. There isn't a right or wrong answer, it's just a question of what will suit your DD.

Good Luck in your decision-making.

mge Mon 08-May-17 12:16:35

Thanks so much Warsaw, your reply has reinforced I hope, that we have done the right thing. We too ultimately gave DD the choice and I too thought she would go with the warm environment of SH but, like your DS she said she wanted to be academically pushed and has chosen MT. I hope she is half as successful as you were!

warsawseesaw Mon 08-May-17 12:51:58

That's interesting! Sounds like our bright DCs know their own minds. It also has the advantage that they can't ever turn round and say "but you made me go...."

Hope it all works out for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now