Talk

Advanced search

Knee length school socks for adult height 12 year old

(24 Posts)
RaspberryIce Mon 17-Apr-17 13:33:01

Does anyone know which knee length school socks are good for an adult height child? We've bought Next or Marks in the past, but they seem a bit short now she is taller. (5 foot 3.) Anyone know which brands are good and are knee length? I take it knee length socks are still worn in summer? Dd isn't that interested in clothes so doesn't really notice what the others are wearing.

user1490817136 Mon 17-Apr-17 13:38:55

Try ebay. You'll probably find them as some kind of fancy dress...actually I know you will because I wore some as Lola for book day recently :-)

RaspberryIce Mon 17-Apr-17 16:41:08

Thanks user

Michaelahpurple Mon 17-Apr-17 17:53:35

I bought my son turn-down grey socks in size 9-11 feet from sturdy kids website - they may well have other colours

Fingalswave Mon 17-Apr-17 17:55:23

Have same problem here! Bought Falke in the end but they cost an arm and a leg; last forever though!

handmademitlove Mon 17-Apr-17 17:57:29

My 13 yr old dd tells me knee socks are not acceptable, only trainer socks or ankle socks... but it depends on the School!

dementedpixie Mon 17-Apr-17 17:59:58

Tesco (I think) has over the knee socks in the ladies section that dd likes

dementedpixie Mon 17-Apr-17 18:01:07

P.s. just about everyone else wears tights so dd is about the only one with ling socks but tbh she doesn't care and says that socks are less hassle than tights

AlexanderHamilton Mon 17-Apr-17 18:01:30

We got some for dd from Primark. She is 15. Her uniform is either grey tights or grey knee length socks.

AlexanderHamilton Mon 17-Apr-17 18:03:08

However all the other schools are black opaque tights, summer or winter. Because ds's school is grey, tights are hard to come by.

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 17-Apr-17 18:07:49

Primark have black ones (teen dd likes them under her long kilt)

RaspberryIce Mon 17-Apr-17 18:18:29

Thanks for all the suggestions. I know knee socks were popular at her school a couple of years ago as i remember checking out what was popular before she started there. They may have gone out of fashion since then though. I know over the knee socks aren't allowed, although they may work as knee socks depending on how long they are. I'll check out your suggestions and try and find out what's popular at her school. I thought of the school uniform shop too which sell Pex brand.

MEgirl Mon 17-Apr-17 23:23:00

John Lewis has very good knee length socks. They are the only ones I buy now for DD who is 5'6".

RaspberryIce Tue 18-Apr-17 00:18:14

Thank you

2014newme Tue 18-Apr-17 18:15:51

Knee socks would be seen as babyish here.

RaspberryIce Wed 19-Apr-17 07:04:36

Told dd to have a look at what people were wearing but she forgot. Will hold fire a bit I think. Once dd2 starts there she'll let me know as she notices this sort of thing. Dd1 doesn't care, which is fine, but i don't want her to look babyish.

Firefries Wed 19-Apr-17 07:08:00

I second John Lewis.

DumbledoresApprentice Wed 19-Apr-17 08:01:04

I'm a teacher at a school where only knee socks or tights are allowed. I'd say about 75% of the girls wear the knee socks in summer. There are some that wear them even in the depths of winter. I feel cold just looking at them. We don't allow their socks to be up past their knees but I know there are some who roll down overknee socks to just below the knee. Then as soon as they leave school the skirt gets rolled and the socks get unrolled. grin

dementedpixie Wed 19-Apr-17 08:27:08

What on earth is wrong with socks over the knees? Covers more leg than under the knee socks.

RaspberryIce Wed 19-Apr-17 08:43:14

At dd's school they wear their skirts above the knee so I assume they think over the knee socks don't look right. Probably the mini skirts and suspenders sort of look they are wanting to avoid. Just guessing

RaspberryIce Wed 19-Apr-17 08:44:22

They are allowed ankle socks at dd's school though.

RaspberryIce Wed 19-Apr-17 08:45:40

When i posted this thread i was worried someone might think i was the plimsoll troll stealthily trying to move the subject from socks to Converse/Vans. grin (I'm not.) grin

RaspberryIce Wed 19-Apr-17 08:52:20

We wore over the knee socks at my secondary school, but it was the fashion to wear quite long skirts, so they just looked like tights. We wouldn't have dreamed of wearing knee socks back then.

Dixiechickonhols Wed 19-Apr-17 21:48:07

Dd similar height has ladies knee socks from John Lewis good quality and longer than the m and s school Ones

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now