Brit School Second Chance Appeal(27 Posts)
Please can anyone give me some advice, my daughter didn't get offered a place at the Brit School for this years Musical Theatre strand post 16 course 2017. She obviously is devastated. So we have appealed for a second chance meeting /audition. Can anyone tell me if they have any experience in this area, how likely are our chances of being successful? This year were record breaking numbers applied and she wasn't offered a reserve place. On the day of the audition, she was on medication for tonsillitis, and felt this affected her scoring. Her world has stopped as The Brit School is the only School she wanted to attend.
Did the school know about her tonsillitis at the time of her audition? If so they would have already factored this into their decision and looked to see if she was extremely strong in dance and acting and they would have been able to make an assessment on her voice, even if it wasn't at it's strongest, and maybe put her on the reserve list. The fact she didn't make the reserve list doesn't bode well though.
If not then I'm not sure whether they would accept an appeal. The world of musical theatre is beyond competitive - I watched my sister go through it. You have to be the best of the best to get these places at 16, or parents with deep enough pockets to fund somewhere like Tring Park.
If it had been an audition for a role in a show then she wouldn't have got it - there are always other people who can take your place. They can afford to pick and choose. This might be a bit of a wake up as to just how good you need to be (sorry if that sounds harsh).
All is not lost though. There are amazing musical theatre courses available at 18 which you can also get funding for. She has two years to work on her triple threat skills and make sure they are all as strong as each other.
I know one twin who got into the Brit School, albeit on a different stream, and the other didn't despite them appearing professionally on stage and TV regularly. It just came down to how they performed on the day.
Sorry if I sound a bit down about this but it is such a tough world to be in. I am already managing my own daughter's expectations as she adores musical theatre but lacks the skills in one area. It's just not going to happen regardless of how much she wants it and its my job to guide her through this.
Fingers crossed though!!!
They are reviewing her application. They were not aware she had tonsillitis as she didn't think it was professional to mention it. But we have evidence of the medication and prescription as we needed to supply her school with it. She is strong in singing and acting not so strong in dance. She has performed in many shows even the west End and won many competitions but as you say it's how you perform on the day. She's very driven and determined to show her full potential, fingers crossed she gets another chance. Thanks for your comments.
If she has a weakness in dance AND performed less strongly in singing due to tonsillitis then you may need to prepare for the worst. They will be able to pick and choose those who were strong in all three.
Dance is also my daughter's weakness, and even at this young age there's a huge difference between those who "can" and those who can't. Passion and commitment is not enough.
I seriously hope she gets a second chance but my gut reaction is she won't.
Have you had experience with the Brit School or the appeal procedure?
Only second hand through the twins I mentioned. They appealed on the basis that they both had the same experience and one got in and the other not even the reserve list. It came down to how they performed on the day. The twin who didn't get in is now at LIPA aged 18
Weren't the auditions a 2 stage process? The second being more workshop based. Presumably they looked at performance on both days before their decision. How long was she ill for? I suspect the fact she hasn't made reserve list means that they just didn't feel she would fit as well as others, sorry.
I need some help my daughter is on the reserve list for the brit school for theatre she is very upset so please tell that every one on the reserve list gets in
There was a thread about the reserve list last year but by summer neither had got in
My daughter made the reserve list for post 14 course a couple of years ago but we never got a call....This year there were record breaking numbers for musical Theatre so if it's that strand then it will depend how high up on the reserve list she is. I wish her all the luck. Xx
But maybe this year a lot of reserve list kids would get in
I hope it's positive news for you. Do keep us posted! X
My daughter auditioned for KS4 music this year and is 1st reserve for "out of area". So close & yet so far!
She desperately wants to attend Brit School and so asked to appeal for a second chance, which we did, and I'm pleased to say has been successful.
Does anyone know if she actually stands a chance of gaining a place as we are "out of area" and she is already 1st reserve? Or no matter how well she performs at her 2nd chance, all the "out of area" places have been awarded and so she can't gain a place unless one of the "out of area" places is refused, in which case she will already be offered the place as she's 1st reserve.
Itsallaboutthekids - how did you get on? Have you got a 2nd chance? I hope so.
I wish your daughter all the luck in the world. My advice is keep positive and yes she does stand a chance albeit a small one.
And Yes my daughter was successful with her appeal and has another audition in June!
Good luck and keep me posted about your daughters progress.
How did your daughter get on? I hope it went much better for her this time.
My daughters second audition went a million times better, she was so happy afterwards. Unlike the floods of tears after her first audition! We still don't know the outcome yet. Feeling a bit sad this morning as it's the induction days today and tomorrow and wish she was there. But she's being a real trooper and staying positive.
Have you heard anything yet for your daughter? Really hoping you've had good news.
Has she looked at BOA? It's a performing arts school in Birmingham.
We live in Surrey and my DD applied for KS4 so far too young for BOA!
Do you have any experience re Brit school procedures?
No experience of Brit but know head of BOA - they take from 14 years. Sixth form come from long distances.
There's a place in Guildford too. Can't remember name but one of my daughter's friends is there.
We've just had our letter for second chance - still on reserve list! :-(
How did you get on littleme2475 and itsallaboutrhekids? I really hope you've had better news than us
My daughter also had a second chance for music strand 14 - 16 but we have not heard yet. I am not hopeful though because one of her friends that was offered a place said the induction day was last week and that there were appeal students there. I am wondering if they send the acceptance letters out first and then the rejection letters later. I suspect they did this first time round too as a couple of her friend who got offered placed received their acceptance letters almost a week before my daughter received her rejection letter. The waiting is torture!
I'm so sorry you're going through this too, it really is torture! I called them the Monday before the induction days where they said they hoped to hear by the end of the week and they'd somehow let those successful know before the induction days. As I'd still not heard by the Friday lunchtime I called again and they told me they'd had nothing back from music and confirmed my DD wouldn't be at the induction days. I guess I knew then it would be bad news ☹️. They said then they hoped we'd hear by yesterday.
I still hadn't heard so I called them again yesterday lunchtime and was told the letters were ready and they were waiting for them to come to them ready for posting yesterday.
We go away tomorrow and it was my dd's last day at school yesterday so I emailed and asked if they would email me a copy of the letter. They responded they won't normally do this but agreed our circumstances warranted this and so emailed us our letter.
So I guess you'll get yours on Monday.
We are "out of area" and I found out today for certain that there was never any chance of my DD gaining a place from 2nd chance as "out of area" places are so restricted and were already offered and accepted. My DD is already 1st reserve so our only hope now is if one of the 2 out of area acceptances start and decide it's not for them - pretty much no chance to then!! 😭😭😭
I have to say I feel a lot better today knowing DD got the best possible result! Although it's such a shame that she never had a chance - blooming "out of area"!! Still she thoroughly enjoyed her 2nd audition and it was great extra experience ready for the post 16 audition!
I have everything crossed for you that the postman brings you good news on Monday - GOOD LUCK
Hi Liongirls, being on a reserve list must be agony. It sounds like your daughter did really well and I hope so much she gets offered a place.
It sounds like we should prepare ourselves for bad news.
We will also be trying again for post 16 but will be sure to apply to other colleges!
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.