Talk

Advanced search

Brit School Second Chance Appeal

(14 Posts)
itsallaboutrhekids Sat 15-Apr-17 11:54:03

Hi All

Please can anyone give me some advice, my daughter didn't get offered a place at the Brit School for this years Musical Theatre strand post 16 course 2017. She obviously is devastated. So we have appealed for a second chance meeting /audition. Can anyone tell me if they have any experience in this area, how likely are our chances of being successful? This year were record breaking numbers applied and she wasn't offered a reserve place. On the day of the audition, she was on medication for tonsillitis, and felt this affected her scoring. Her world has stopped as The Brit School is the only School she wanted to attend.

Zodlebud Sat 15-Apr-17 21:07:28

Did the school know about her tonsillitis at the time of her audition? If so they would have already factored this into their decision and looked to see if she was extremely strong in dance and acting and they would have been able to make an assessment on her voice, even if it wasn't at it's strongest, and maybe put her on the reserve list. The fact she didn't make the reserve list doesn't bode well though.

If not then I'm not sure whether they would accept an appeal. The world of musical theatre is beyond competitive - I watched my sister go through it. You have to be the best of the best to get these places at 16, or parents with deep enough pockets to fund somewhere like Tring Park.

If it had been an audition for a role in a show then she wouldn't have got it - there are always other people who can take your place. They can afford to pick and choose. This might be a bit of a wake up as to just how good you need to be (sorry if that sounds harsh).

All is not lost though. There are amazing musical theatre courses available at 18 which you can also get funding for. She has two years to work on her triple threat skills and make sure they are all as strong as each other.

I know one twin who got into the Brit School, albeit on a different stream, and the other didn't despite them appearing professionally on stage and TV regularly. It just came down to how they performed on the day.

Sorry if I sound a bit down about this but it is such a tough world to be in. I am already managing my own daughter's expectations as she adores musical theatre but lacks the skills in one area. It's just not going to happen regardless of how much she wants it and its my job to guide her through this.

Fingers crossed though!!!

itsallaboutrhekids Sat 15-Apr-17 22:11:09

They are reviewing her application. They were not aware she had tonsillitis as she didn't think it was professional to mention it. But we have evidence of the medication and prescription as we needed to supply her school with it. She is strong in singing and acting not so strong in dance. She has performed in many shows even the west End and won many competitions but as you say it's how you perform on the day. She's very driven and determined to show her full potential, fingers crossed she gets another chance. Thanks for your comments.

Zodlebud Sun 16-Apr-17 19:28:24

If she has a weakness in dance AND performed less strongly in singing due to tonsillitis then you may need to prepare for the worst. They will be able to pick and choose those who were strong in all three.

Dance is also my daughter's weakness, and even at this young age there's a huge difference between those who "can" and those who can't. Passion and commitment is not enough.

I seriously hope she gets a second chance but my gut reaction is she won't.

itsallaboutrhekids Sun 16-Apr-17 21:46:09

Have you had experience with the Brit School or the appeal procedure?

Zodlebud Mon 17-Apr-17 09:29:08

Only second hand through the twins I mentioned. They appealed on the basis that they both had the same experience and one got in and the other not even the reserve list. It came down to how they performed on the day. The twin who didn't get in is now at LIPA aged 18

Zodlebud Mon 17-Apr-17 09:33:23

I also work in the industry.

LIZS Mon 17-Apr-17 09:40:36

Weren't the auditions a 2 stage process? The second being more workshop based. Presumably they looked at performance on both days before their decision. How long was she ill for? I suspect the fact she hasn't made reserve list means that they just didn't feel she would fit as well as others, sorry.

Littleme2475 Mon 17-Apr-17 12:44:43

I need some help my daughter is on the reserve list for the brit school for theatre she is very upset so please tell that every one on the reserve list gets in

LIZS Mon 17-Apr-17 12:50:02

There was a thread about the reserve list last year but by summer neither had got in sad

itsallaboutrhekids Mon 17-Apr-17 13:08:40

My daughter made the reserve list for post 14 course a couple of years ago but we never got a call....This year there were record breaking numbers for musical Theatre so if it's that strand then it will depend how high up on the reserve list she is. I wish her all the luck. Xx

LIZS Mon 17-Apr-17 13:15:16

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/secondary/2608143-Brit-School-reserve-list-please-HELP

Littleme2475 Mon 17-Apr-17 13:47:11

But maybe this year a lot of reserve list kids would get in

itsallaboutrhekids Mon 17-Apr-17 14:48:20

I hope it's positive news for you. Do keep us posted! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now