Talk

Advanced search

Is there a correlation between exam success

(32 Posts)
Meloncoley2 Sun 09-Apr-17 14:09:28

and the amount of time spent creating the work of art that is a revision timetable?

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 09-Apr-17 14:31:25

It would be nice to think so bit I'm pretty sure that no such correlation exists.
There is, however, a proven link between the time spent on, and artistic merit of, mind maps and spidograms of individual revision topics.
Perhaps the timetabler could be ushered more in that direction?

Meloncoley2 Sun 09-Apr-17 18:45:54

The thing that cracks me up, is that though it's obviously a tool of procrastination, the creation of the timetable, also requires 'breaks' to recover.

Ontopofthesunset Mon 10-Apr-17 14:02:26

My son requires a break after lunch to recover from eating before he can start work again.

Allthebestnamesareused Mon 10-Apr-17 15:11:09

grin. Obviously. Also when I used to get ahead of my timetable I would always have to do a completely new one. All As (no A* for O levels!!) so it must be true!

errorofjudgement Mon 10-Apr-17 20:06:37

To be totally sure of the correlation though it's important to use colour. Lots of colours.
Really it's like it's a grade per colour, so for As then you must use at least 5 different colours.
Honest grin
wink

Ta1kinPeace Mon 10-Apr-17 20:53:40

my revision timetable for my first A levels was exquisite - a work of art

the one for my second A levels was scruffy and altered as the need arose

portico Mon 10-Apr-17 21:00:36

That's all a waste of time and puts proper revision into abeyance. I get my boys to read chapters, and answer in chapter questions. They are too lazy to take notes. They then do as many exam questions as possible and review progress against the mark scheme. Mind maps would be useful when first taking notes. Nothing beats good 'ole' diligent revision, focussing on exam questions.

BackforGood Mon 10-Apr-17 21:05:16

I wish grin

I used to spend quite a lot of time putting together micely coloured timetables!

FlyingSquid Tue 11-Apr-17 17:23:34

My A-level chemistry revision itself was a work of technicolour art. I practically wallpapered the room in colour-coded essential equations.

Unfortunately my best mate did the same in different colours, so neither of us could visit the other without dire risk to subliminal revision processes.

FlyingSquid Tue 11-Apr-17 17:24:07

'micely coloured' = small and grey, BackforGood?

highinthesky Tue 11-Apr-17 17:27:44

Well on the basis that I never created one and barely did any work either during my A-levels....I'd say that a revision timetable might have encouraged to take my studies a bit more seriously when I was 16/17.

portico Tue 11-Apr-17 17:51:26

Back in the day, 1982, when I did my O Levels, we never had access to mark schemes. Move forward to now, and kids have access to exam papers and mark schemes online. That should be more than enough revision resources right there.

FlyingSquid Tue 11-Apr-17 18:04:51

...and it were all fields around here, Portico?

I'm a similar vintage. I think, in retrospect, I preferred the 'give it a shot and hope the examiners like you' approach to O levels.

booellesmum Tue 11-Apr-17 18:09:21

Oh this made me laugh. DD spent yesterday making a beautifully coloured in revision timetable.
There has been revision done today though - yay!
(Not biology though as she can't find the text book - the timetable will probably have to redone! smile )

portico Tue 11-Apr-17 18:14:44

FlyingSquid. I wasn't being funny. I was merely stating with mark schemes, there need be no faffing about switch me no maps et al. Golod old fashion revision with exam questions and mar schenes for s all that is needed.

Aye, them were t'days when crisps cost 15p. And we're we 'appy. No! 😜

portico Tue 11-Apr-17 18:16:48

Apologies for typos, redone below:

FlyingSquid. I wasn't being funny. I was merely stating that with mark schemes, there need be no faffing about with revision time tables, mind maps et al. Good old fashion revision with exam questions and mar schenes for s all that is needed.

Aye, them were t'days when crisps cost 15p. And were we 'appy. No! 😜

portico Tue 11-Apr-17 18:20:38

FlyingSqud....I did my O Levels in black and white...lol

portico Tue 11-Apr-17 18:21:37

As you can see, my spelling is still in sepia.

reup Tue 11-Apr-17 18:27:55

I loved making them - they were very scruffy but I often had to redo them as I didn't do exactly what I planned! I got excellent exams results - back in the 80s when Oand A Levels just seemed to be about regurgitating facts and I have an excellent memory.

reup Tue 11-Apr-17 18:29:27

I'm not sure how mark schemes or doing exam questions alter revision timetables. They aren't a way of revising they just say what subject you are going to do for which section of the day.

LIZS Tue 11-Apr-17 18:29:39

Hope not cos dd is refusing to make one!

ErrolTheDragon Tue 11-Apr-17 18:46:58

My DD refused to do a timetable, even though the school was 'making' everyone do one - her teachers know that her untimetabled methods are effective so left her to them. She did however work out roughly how much she needed to do, scheduling past papers (A levels inc double maths so lots of those).

portico Tue 11-Apr-17 18:55:14

I enforce 20 minute byte size sessions for homework or revision. Boys travel 1.5 hrs in morning and 1.5 hrs back, so I try to impress efficient ways of working on them. We call each 20 minute session a block. That's how we communicate, i.e. How many blocks did you do tonight. Then I ask, what did you do in each block.

portico Tue 11-Apr-17 19:00:21

Watching Child Genius now. One of the contestants has a huge whiteboard in her bedroom. I like the idea of putting a huge whiteboard in the bedrooms of my children. Good for homework and revision.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now