Mummabird1971 Sat 08-Apr-17 21:43:55

My son has been on a manage move and it has been terminated
He will now go back to his original school on a restricted timetable
I'm worried about the amount of work for his GCSEs he will miss
Has anyone else been through this ?

TeenAndTween Sun 09-Apr-17 16:23:12

I've not been through this, but to help others with advice you may wish to say:
- what year is he?
- what kind of restricted timetable? (e.g. only in before lunch, or not attending for certain subjects?)
- is the reason for all this poor behaviour or something else
- is there any kind of SEN at play here?

admission Sun 09-Apr-17 16:43:45

There is really no such thing as a restricted timetable unless it is very much a short term situation of re-introduction to the school. I would asking the school why they are not providing full time education for your child. The downside of this will be that if your son misbehaves there is a more than fair chance the school will permanently exclude him.
You really need to be asking yourself and your son why the managed move did not succeed and how your son is going to be able not to transgress again at school. There probably needs to be a very different attitude to everything about school or you will find yourself in an even more difficult situation with a permanent exclusion which will cause even more issues around GCSE courses.

TheSecondOfHerName Sun 09-Apr-17 17:38:23

DS1 had a modified timetable for the last term of Y10 and most of Y11 (for medical reasons). He dropped down from 11 GCSEs to 8. He managed to get A & B grades in 7 of them, which was enough to get him through to the next stage in his education.

What year is your son in?
If he is in Y10 or Y11, how many GCSEs does the school plan for him to sit?

Mummabird1971 Mon 10-Apr-17 11:10:01

He's in year 10
This all happened on the last day of term so we're not able to sort anything out for 2 weeks
Obviously my son has brought this on himself and we are talking to him about his behaviour and improving himself
But obviously as his mother my only concern is to get him through his GCSEs and a restricted time table will not provide him with the level of teaching he requires

Mummabird1971 Mon 10-Apr-17 11:12:34

Hopefully he will sit 7 GCSEs and is on course to achieve at least 4 above c
We're looking at tutors to assist with maths

elisa2502 Mon 10-Apr-17 11:30:39

As a Teacher they have done this as without it he is close to permanent exclusion. The manage move has failed so they have come up with this (which they are entitled to do) to avoid a PEx.

OhTheRoses Thu 13-Apr-17 07:35:32

Surely your principle concern should be supporting your son to behave as well as he can. Develop his emotional awareness, get underlying issues diagnosed: Dyslexia, ASD, ADHD, Borderline Personality Disorder, etc. CAMHS, private therapist, local authority.

Then I'd worry about his GCSE's. He has to come first. His education, probably via FE and probably later than the norm needs to come second.

What does he want?

LornaD40 Sun 16-Apr-17 22:53:58

What were the reasons for the managed move and why did it fail? Am sure there is lots of good advice available on here depending on the reasons. Has he seen an ed psych?

I'd agree that a restricted (part time? Or less subjects?) timetable is likely to affect his gcse outcomes. The bigger worry is that he is at high risk of permanent exclusion and potentially being educated in a pru, which is even less than ideal.

Badhairday1001 Sun 16-Apr-17 23:10:01

I would be more concerned that the managed move has failed and he is at serious risk of permanent exclusion. Having taught in a number of PRU's I would say that his chances of succeeding in his GCSE's are much higher in his current setting even on a restricted timetable. I would concentrate on supporting him and working with the school. Could he have undiagnosed SEN? Is there any extra support he could be accessing? Why is he behaving this way in school?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now