Talk

Advanced search

Physics GCSE rearranging equations

(7 Posts)
RosieLig Thu 06-Apr-17 08:04:18

Hi

My son is struggling with Physics and they've highlighted that around 30% of the paper is substituting in and rearranging equations. I think they sub in first (different to Maths where they rearrange then sub in?) Anyway are there any good sites or resources where he can practise a load of these?

Thanks!

larrygrylls Thu 06-Apr-17 08:20:29

He can use formula triangles for all of them (they won't teach him maths but will get him through the exam) except kinetic energy and gas laws. There is loads of stuff on BBC bitesize and Khan academy (gcse is ks4). For most boards there are past papers and mark schemes online.

Good luck!

ActuallyThatsSUPREMECommander Thu 06-Apr-17 08:25:07

There's an app called Dragon Box 2 which is meant to teach you algebraic techniques without you noticing. It's quite fun.

Crumbs1 Thu 06-Apr-17 08:26:44

I'd get him a couple of sessions with an online tutor - Skype lesson. Alpha tutors were good.

catslife Thu 06-Apr-17 10:19:01

* I think they sub in first (different to Maths where they rearrange then sub in?) *
It doesn't matter whether which way round he does this for the final exam, the important things are having the method correct and obtaining the right final answer. He should use the method which works best for him.
There are no marks for formula triangles and these should be avoided unless Maths is very weak as other methods can still result in some marks if a small error is made.

portico Thu 06-Apr-17 10:46:34

You have just go to practise a lot of numerical questions. Must commit the formulae and units to memory first. Trying to teach Y7 DS about formulae for density, weight and pressure. I then given him random questions to work out. Not the best method, but the only one I know.

RosieLig Thu 06-Apr-17 19:07:07

Thanks all!! I was kind of hoping to find a job lot of these questions all in one place. They seem dotted about.

The study guide says to sub in first as I think that's where the bulk of the marks come in.

He's not sitting until 2018 but thought we'd tackle this particular issue now that we have a bit of time in the holidays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now