Talk

Advanced search

So close yet so far away

(6 Posts)
Buggerlugs123 Wed 05-Apr-17 14:52:39

Just wanted to see whether anyone has experience of school waiting lists.
We put in a late application due to a move (albeit in the same city) and a bit of a cock up and found out today DD is number 1 on a catchment list.
I know it is a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' scenario but does anyone have experience of how long it took to get a place at this point of the year? I'm going out of my mind with the not knowing!!!!

SoulAccount Tue 11-Apr-17 08:53:11

Well, no one has a crystal ball, and there can be no set pattern because places come up for all sorts of different reasons.

But a lot of people plan to move house at the beginning of the summer hols, so places may well move then, if not before.

But other people could then join and overtake you at the head of the list, if they live closer, have a child with higher priority criteria etc.

Anecdotal experience on these boards suggests you will get the place, though.

EduCated Tue 11-Apr-17 18:10:01

Tantalisingly close! Bear in mind that you can move down a list, should someone who better meets the criteria (I.e. lives closer, usually) joins the list.

Are you in an area with a lot of private schools? That can often lead to movement too.

Buggerlugs123 Tue 11-Apr-17 18:51:52

Thanks for your replies-yes a couple of private schools so fingers crossed we get a place before the summer holiday.

Fififi17 Tue 11-Apr-17 22:52:01

Hi we had a bit of blip when one twin with special needs had a place and the other one didn't. My other son was first on the waiting list and was offered a place 3 weeks later so I would say you are so very close. It's hard as it is unsettling for the child but hopefully you will hear very soon.

Buggerlugs123 Wed 12-Apr-17 19:48:10

Thanks Fififi17-fingers crossed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now