Talk

Advanced search

Register independently to take AS levels?

(7 Posts)
Number42 Mon 03-Apr-17 11:08:06

DD (16) is in Y12 and wants to switch from school to a local college (long story) in N London where we live. Obviously we're going to talk to the college about all this but she wants to try to take her AS levels anyway this summer, regardless of what the college do or don't do about them. Does anyone know if there's some way of registering just to take exams without joining an educational institution - ie turn up at X address, on Y day, and there's a room full of people with an official invigilator, you take the exam and it's all official and bona fide.

Meloncoley2 Mon 03-Apr-17 11:51:16

I am pretty sure you can do this. What about contacting your local college and asking if they allow external candidates to sit? You obviously have to pay the exam fee etc

Allthebestnamesareused Mon 03-Apr-17 13:54:18

My friend did a GCSE with a tutor but sat the exam at a local secondary school. Obviously there is a fee to pay.

catslife Mon 03-Apr-17 16:31:32

If you know the name of the awarding body (usually referred to as exam board on MN) e.g. OCR, AQA then look up arrangements for entering exams as a private candidate on their website. This should list which centres local to you take private candidates. If this is for exams in May/June 2017 there may be additional fees for making a late entry as you have passed the main deadline. You need to find an exam centre by 21st April 2017.

titchy Mon 03-Apr-17 19:03:04

You do know they won't count towards her final A level grade don't you?

JustRichmal Tue 04-Apr-17 09:01:15

Dd did GCSE as an external candidate. We phoned round lots of secondary schools and colleges until one agreed. There was the exam fee and an admin fee to pay.

The AS levels do still count towards A2 in maths and all the modules will still be available next year. I do not know about other subjects.

Number42 Tue 04-Apr-17 10:39:51

Thanks a lot for all those helpful responses - I'll check out the suggestions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now