Talk

Advanced search

My poor child (Y7) needs help

(24 Posts)
Soba Fri 31-Mar-17 17:21:14

My child is a bright kid(Y7).We switched over to the U.K. System last feb in middle if school year from the American one.His school has no textbooks and he comes back with single sheet of few examples thrown in as revision for test that does not begin to address the deapth of questions asked in the test.He has two tests and scores dreadfully low and these differ dramatically from his earlier school performance.His teacher has politely refused to reccomend any text book or workbook.Hes suffering a huge crisis of confidence.Can any teacher recommended a math text book for year7.Youd probably be saving this poor child from doom and despair.

Soba Fri 31-Mar-17 17:21:42

My child is a bright kid(Y7).We switched over to the U.K. System last feb in middle if school year from the American one.His school has no textbooks and he comes back with single sheet of few examples thrown in as revision for test that does not begin to address the deapth of questions asked in the test.He has two tests and scores dreadfully low and these differ dramatically from his earlier school performance.His teacher has politely refused to reccomend any text book or workbook.Hes suffering a huge crisis of confidence.Can any teacher recommended a math text book for year7.Youd probably be saving this poor child from doom and despair.

toomuchtvandsocialmedia Fri 31-Mar-17 17:24:57

Do the school subscribe to anything like Mathswatch? Alternatively Hegarty Maths or Khan Academy on you tube are free with great videos. What is the school's plan to help him catch up?

misscph1973 Fri 31-Mar-17 17:26:11

That's not very helpful of the teacher. It must be hard to change systems. Have you looked online,maybe there are apps? perhaps look at home schooling materials?

SaltyMyDear Fri 31-Mar-17 17:26:36

Welcome to the UK education system.

Go to Amazon or WH Smith's. There are loads of Y7 maths books. Anyone of them is fine.

BertrandRussell Fri 31-Mar-17 17:30:23

Have you talked to his teacher?

PoundlandUK Fri 31-Mar-17 17:34:15

uk.mathletics.com/secondary/

Make sure the settings are correct for you (set for UK curriculum). I'd suggest starting 1 year below current one. You can change the year/grade a couple of times per year. There are some gaps between US core and UK national curriculum...so taking a step back will fill those in nicely.

Get to know the program inc tutorial videos. There are also workbooks you can print out to help with sticky areas.

Good luck, I swapped DC from AUS to UK which was also very gappy. This really helped.

SheepyFun Fri 31-Mar-17 17:39:51

The only thing I'd add is that in most British school tests, no-one is expected to get 100% - that would mean the test is too easy. At least part of it should be difficult for every child in the class. I know this has been an issue for American friends of mine who've switched into the English education system. That doesn't mean your son isn't struggling; he may well not have covered the same material before arriving at this school. Have you checked with his teacher how he's doing relative to the rest of the class?

Soba Fri 31-Mar-17 17:43:06

Yes ofcourse!His teacher is actually very kind and inspires a lot of comfort in my child relatively in the present situation.He has listed out issues such as inability to apply his knowledge etc.which all boil down to inexperience with practice questions of different kinds,though they say it's done at school and he is not fast enough as the rest.But those questions never come home.They stay with the teacher save for a few occasional ones .For whatever reason an entire year has passed and no reccomendations of practice books have reached my child.

1nsanityscatching Fri 31-Mar-17 17:44:27

Dd's school uses books Books 1 and 2 years 7 and 8 and books 2 and 3 years 8 and 9.

Soba Fri 31-Mar-17 17:44:40

@Poundland Uk🙏🙏🙏thank you!!!

Soba Fri 31-Mar-17 17:49:56

@1nsanityscatching thank u for the recommendation.I will look for it!

LorLorr2 Fri 31-Mar-17 17:50:23

I wonder why the teacher refused to recommend a textbook!
Could you afford a Maths tutor to come by for an hour a week to guide him?
Or, on the Amazon website search "year 7 maths textbook" and some good options should come up.

SaltyMyDear Fri 31-Mar-17 17:55:34

The teacher doesn't recommend a textbook because his school don't use textbooks!

She's not being mean. She just doesn't know of any good textbooks.

Particularly since the GCSEs are new. All the existing textbooks will be out of date.

Soba Fri 31-Mar-17 17:57:00

@Lorlor2 The school does not use textbooks to begin with.Anazon yielded Collins maths framework which was very different in terms of the exploring all angles if a concept,though it did cover some amount If basics.

iseenodust Fri 31-Mar-17 18:06:07

BBC Bitesize KS3 covers all topics for first part of secondary school and is free.

TeenAndTween Fri 31-Mar-17 18:17:45

You need to look for CGP or Letts guides in WHSmiths or Waterstones.
You need KS3 (years 7-9).

Buy the science and maths ones.

Absolutely no point asking for text books.

LockedOutOfMN Fri 31-Mar-17 22:42:44

Does the school use any Maths websites? Ours sets Maths hw on Doddle or MyMaths and also uses those for cover lessons and extension work in class.

Does the school offer intervention e.g. at lunchtimes?

jeanne16 Sat 01-Apr-17 18:37:40

It is considered 'lazy teaching' to 'just' use a textbook in State Schools in the UK. That is why teachers spend their lives photocopying random sheets off the Internet.

Ask the teacher to send you the Scheme of Work which every school must have. That will show you the topics they are meant to be covering. You can then get a textbook which will cover these topics.

relaxo Sun 02-Apr-17 12:29:09

UK schools don't use printed textbooks in all subjects as politicians keep tweaking with the content of the syllabus.

For maths, the Internet is your friend. Most schools pay for their kids to have access to a maths site like MyMaths, Mathswatch etc.

indy69 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:31:16

Hi look at Pearson ks3 progress maths. They have Pk theata delta books available online and at book stores. Very comprehensive

indy69 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:34:37

Sorry Pi. Autocorrect drives me crazy

Nuttybutnice Thu 06-Apr-17 07:08:23

For sciences, geography and history try Oaka Books - bright, full of illustrations and clearly laid out - follow KS3 and Commin Entrance syllabuses. My daughter loves them.

Nuttybutnice Thu 06-Apr-17 07:08:55

common entrance - oops!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now