Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else in the throes of Prefect Application Angst?

(24 Posts)
lljkk Tue 28-Mar-17 21:09:14

DD is taking this Very Seriously. Application in tomorrow. X fingers.

lljkk Wed 29-Mar-17 21:27:09

just us, then, ha! Application turned in, so lull for now...

Stickerrocks Wed 29-Mar-17 22:23:29

It went in almost three weeks ago, then OFSTED turned up on the doorstep a few days later. I think this has thrown a spanner in the works as nobody has heard a squeak about their application since. DD is vaguely hopeful as she was asked to show around the inspectors and give them feedback in their pupil sessions.

lljkk Thu 30-Mar-17 06:52:48

DD isn't scheduled to hear anything back until after Easter, anyway.
For some reason there's a separate application process to be one of the senior anti-bullying leaders, so we've had that angst, too.

swingofthings Fri 31-Mar-17 16:06:43

DD put in her application a couple of weeks ago and was told two days ago that it was successful. She only applied to add strength to her medical school application.

lljkk Fri 31-Mar-17 19:29:36

Swing, is she going for ordinary prefect or one of the captain positions?

starfleet Mon 03-Apr-17 13:15:10

DS's school had their a few weeks ago. Carried his form around for a few days before it emerged a bit dog eared when he got it out to fill in the night before they were due in.

They chose 12 Boys/12 Girls and the 3 with most teacher/cohort votes from each were interviewed for Head Boy/Girl/Deputies. DS was voted as one of the prefect team.

swingofthings Mon 03-Apr-17 17:08:07

Swing, is she going for ordinary prefect or one of the captain positions

I'm not sure! She said she had been elected prefect and will go for Head Girl next year. Not sure where the captain position fit in this!

lljkk Mon 03-Apr-17 21:17:39

Ah, we have house captains & subject captains (like Drama & math & so on). Plus deputy HG/HB and probably a few other roles I forgot. Only yr11s apply.

I am overly involved. blush. DD has talked about this since yr7 so I know how much she wants each position she applied for. I suggested a lot of edits on her application letter. I PROMISE I have never written a school assignment for her, but it somehow felt legit to whack Track Changes on & give her my full opinion on what could be better phrased/stated. I did not see the final version. She has been on the panel to interview candidates for several yrs & joined almost every school support/leadership club going. Played a very long game.

bojorojo Tue 04-Apr-17 12:28:50

A word of caution. I think it is fair to say my DD had been widely touted to be Head Girl. Duly applied and I didn't see the application but I know she was very well respected as a suitable candidate. However nothing happened and the notice about the successful candidate was posted 10 minutes before she did her aural for French AS. She was found crying uncontrollably and they made her do the exam. I do realise she over-invested in this aspect of her school career but was given every encouragement to think she would do well.

The girl chosen was hardly known to anyone and had never gone out of her way for the school. Now, 8 years on, no-one hears from her and it's my DD that organises reunions, speaks to girls about her career and is still involved. She was devastated at the time but who knows how these positions are decided? Just be careful about how much your child wants this and how you are going to deal with disappointment if it happens. I didn't think I would have to but my DD was very upset and felt everything she had done was ignored. She was right of course but it doesn't make it easier to bear. The French exam was not a roaring success either! The whole scenario was cruel.

lljkk Tue 04-Apr-17 19:54:10

That sounds awful, Boroj. But great your DD was able to recover well (eventually). I think our process for HG might be more transparent (HG is on DD's wish list; DD has interviewed HG/HB candidates). She has talked at length about who the others are that seem like good contenders for HG. I think DD will be satisfied as long as she at least gets an interview.

Stickerrocks Tue 04-Apr-17 20:08:51

The school announced in assembly that letters inviting people for HG/HB interview would be handed out on Friday or early this week. Nobody has heard a thing since & their stress levels are rising. I do wish the teachers would either do what they say, or simply not say anything at all.

bojorojo Wed 05-Apr-17 00:31:28

I came to realise that the girls supported each other in good times and bad. However a process that is less than transparent and fair wreaked havoc and some young people do want to do these 'jobs' very much. The children also know who the best candidates are and it really upsets everyone when bizarre decisions are made. The school had a bit of form on this and in other years it had tended to divide the year group into them and us. Ultimately it didn't make any difference but it was hard to take at the time and that they ruined DDs French exam too. She actually cried in the exam. It was not something I had anticipated happening!

Stickerrocks Wed 05-Apr-17 20:20:00

Well the interview process looks harder than the one I had to get my current role. No big surprises in the final 5 with DD and her best friend both picked. Such a shame there will only be 1 HG & 2 deputies with 2 disappointed.

lljkk Wed 05-Apr-17 20:59:32

Seems like what most people care about is a fair process. Losing a fair race is acceptable. Not knowing where the goalposts were is very discouraging, though.

I suppose I had better talk to DD about steeling herself for bad news that might just come on an exam day; it's not worth it to lose out twice.

lljkk Wed 05-Apr-17 21:00:11

oh, and ps Stickle: congrats to your DD for getting on the short list!

bojorojo Thu 06-Apr-17 00:00:32

lljkk - I think a fair process is vital. The girl chosen was pleasant but had no other obvious attributes and had not participated much in school life and hadn't been a House Captain, sports captain, or indeed anything. She ended up with about the worst A level results and there were some excellent girls completely overlooked, not just mine! If everyone can see why someone is chosen, they get behind them. Our school had a Head Girl's team of 6, so not getting an interview was crushing to a number of the girls. Their contribution to school life had been completely overlooked and they didn't know why because this was supposed to be a selection criteria. Obviously it wasn't. Just check the timetable for selection does not coincide with an exam!

beggingbehind Thu 06-Apr-17 22:39:30

My DC applied last year (In year 11 now) hed only joined school in year 10, I didnt like how the school did it, only students picked the 20 prefects, within this the 6 with the highest votes could go for HG/HB and deputys. Then the staff decide. So basically prefects where a popularity contest. My DS has SEN, SEMH and slight physical disabilities so spends alot of his time doing lessons in the SEND part of school. So unsurpisgly he didnt get picked for prefect, he loves makeing a diffrence and helping younger pupils and is a public speaker, delivers assemblies, is school council, charity commitie, anti-bullying comiitie ect. Most people just applied to get a diffrent couoloured polo shirt (Which are white and came see through cue evreyone laughing!)
The school (staff) also choose:
2 librainas -WHo get black polos btw!
4 Sport captains- 1 for each house
2 head chritte comity members
Arts Captain
Core Captain
Subject Captain
4 friendly faces - anti bullying
2 SEND prefects

These are all choosen by staff a couple weeks after prefects, even though prefects are highly advertied these end up doing more, they can be choosen from the 20 prefects though, so DS was very happy when he was told he was a head charity member (you get a cool badge) and a SEND prefect (You get a red polo! not see through) and has done so much this year, much more than the prefects where half dont do anything refuse to help after school, do transtion, open evenings anything. It annoys me
Rant over!

lljkk Fri 07-Apr-17 06:04:17

I told DD the story about (disappointing) HG news being given out on exam day. She was horrified!

Sounds like your DS got the better deal not being a prefect, Begging.

beggingbehind Fri 07-Apr-17 11:28:48

He certainly did! I feel i should mention its a big year group his 280! so it gets very competitive

bojorojo Fri 07-Apr-17 15:28:56

Late joiners appeared to have no problem getting into the final 6 at our school. Just another issue that came up - no track record! The vote was allegedly staff, girls and final interview with Head and Chair of Governors. No-one believed the staff vote or student vote counted for anything!

Stickerrocks Tue 25-Apr-17 11:57:05

Interview day....

lljkk Sat 13-May-17 07:40:56

How did it go, @Stickerrocks ?!

DD is satisfied to be shortlisted for HG. Interviews for that early next week. I approve of the timing, they have 4 days notice, they were told last thing on a Friday, & then it's done with fast, so minimised the pressure. Thinking about the choices, I think the school want the most reliable kids to be HG-HB. DD has a reliability weakness but presumably many have. She is very relaxed about getting it or not.

There was a surprise choice among the 7 girls short-listed, but no one DD despairs of.
DD has a fave among the lads shortlisted for HB, and a lad she would struggle to work with, eek.

lljkk Mon 15-May-17 20:59:40

DD has interview tomorrow for HG smile.
Has a really good attitude about it (phew). What will be will be.
Good luck to anyone else trying to help their kids. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now