Talk

Advanced search

Epsom & Ewell High School

(9 Posts)
ClaireSutton1975 Sun 26-Mar-17 16:22:53

My DS has been offered a place at Epsom & Ewell High school for Yr 7 September intake. Completely unfamiliar with the school so would be grateful for any feedback! We're visiting next week. Thanks.

teddygirlonce Mon 27-Mar-17 19:07:29

Think Epsom & Ewell High School and Blenheim High School are regarded as less desirable ('naice') locally than Rosebery and Glyn Schools.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Mon 27-Mar-17 19:09:38

Rosebery and Glyn are very difficult to get into and are single sex schools.. EEHS is probably the least desirable but I hear good things about Blenheim.

littlenicky61 Thu 30-Mar-17 16:31:43

My daughter is at Blenheim ( year 9 ) and I have been very impressed so far . I didnt like Epsom and Ewell when I looked round and in my opinion is the least desirable in the area but having said that I know quite a few parents whose children go there and they are doing really well .

Cozan Tue 29-Aug-17 10:33:40

I am searching for a school for my two boys 12 and 15 and our only options are Epsom & Ewell or Therfield. Why is Epsom and Ewell less desirable?

jeanne16 Wed 30-Aug-17 08:37:11

Epsom and Ewell was put into Special Measures in about 2008/9 and this makes it less attractive. The school was not full as people went elsewhere if possible. That is more serious than people realise as it affects the school's funding. It also means that every week a number of new pupils would arrive, most unable to speak English and the school would have to integrate them.

There was nothing wrong with the teachers and the top sets did fine. However there was a large section of the school that consisted of very difficult pupils, some with behavioural issues and others with severe learning issues. This had quite a negative feel on the school. Doing lunch and break duty as a teacher was not a pleasant experience.

Cozan Wed 30-Aug-17 09:01:50

Thank you very much for your reply. We are from Turkey and just moved from Istanbul to Epsom. My boys went to a private English school in Istanbul but I am sure they will need support on English if not in other lessons eg Maths, Science etc. The only available school in our area shows Epsom & Ewell and Therfield plus Bleinheim which shows 'Needs Improvement' on Ofset report. Do you have any idea about Therfield School?

jeanne16 Wed 30-Aug-17 14:45:21

I don't know anything about Therfield. Blenheim was considered better than Epsom and Ewell but that was a few years ago so I may be out of date.

glitterlips1 Fri 22-Sep-17 14:27:22

Blenheim's Ofsted is now at "requires improvement" and has recently appointed a new head. The children use iPads as homework diaries plus other various things and are allowed to wear earphones to listen to music during certain lessons. Some may like this but I personally wasn't keen when I went to view the school. Epsom and Ewell's Ofsted rating is "good' and is smaller than Blenheim. Epsom and Ewell appointed a very strong head who seemed to turn things around for the school. I know a lot of children who go to both schools and some of my friends children did very well in their GCSEs at Epsom and Ewell. Like with any school there are good and bad points about both and it is a case of visiting to see which stands out for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now