Talk

Advanced search

S4 in Scotland: bad to miss first week of Oct-Dec term?

(6 Posts)
Euphemia Fri 24-Mar-17 08:12:56

I'm a primary teacher so I've never taken DD out of school during term time for a holiday. I'm currently employed in the same authority as DD's school.

I'm considering a move of authority, and although both have two weeks' holiday in October, they're not the same two weeks!

The past few years we've gone to the US for ten days then (cheaper, bearable heat, quieter): if we did so this year DD would miss the first week of term. Is she likely to miss loads of work and never catch up?!

I'm aware that we have a maximum of three years left when we can go away in October, so one hand I want to use them for similar holidays, but on the other hand I don't want to foul things up for DD.

Salmotrutta Sun 26-Mar-17 16:38:16

Secondary teacher here!

If she's in S4 she'll be doing Nationals then?

It's not the ideal tbh - she could be missing UASPs/assignment stuff not to mention quite a reasonable chunk of curriculum content across all her subjects.
Yes, she would probably catch up perfectly well but as you know some missed content may put her at a disadvantage or have a knock on effect.
What if she had an illness that added to her absence as well?
You could invest in some Success Guides and make sure she does a bit of extra reading/utilises BBC Bitesize etc.
We had a decision like this regarding a wedding abroad many years ago when our DC were doing standard grades and we just didn't attend the wedding.

Euphemia Sun 26-Mar-17 16:57:06

That's really useful, thanks.

It's a PITA this thing with the holiday mismatch. I've been fancying a move for ages but I'm always put off by the holiday hassle.

Ach well, three more years and it won't be an issue!

MargotsDevil Sun 26-Mar-17 17:00:42

Also Scottish secondary teacher. Last week of term pre October holidays is usually assessments and catch up of anything missed that term in my classes - so potentially if she's missed anything else that term it could exacerbate the problem.. sorry!

Salmotrutta Sun 26-Mar-17 17:02:11

Actually I've just realised if she's S4 next year then the UASPs are being removed!
So that is one less thing to worry about!
I understand your swithering though - it would be far better if all authorities took the same holidays!

Euphemia Sun 26-Mar-17 17:08:35

I'll pop her Guidance teacher an email this week I think. I keep prevaricating over this move, I'm driving myself mad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now