Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Decision needed

(21 Posts)
ohh Wed 22-Mar-17 17:03:04

Dd had picked her favourite subjects for GCSE as doesn't know what to do when older. We basically helped choose strongest subjects/most interested in. Now has been told has to drop one!! As they clash on timetable next year. Choice is either Drama or IT (more on Web building and a bit of programming.). I suggested IT as might open up more jobs but she thinks Drama better for people skills ( she can be a bit shy )and it's heavily on English which she excels at. Any suggestions?

galaxy671 Wed 22-Mar-17 18:04:42

What course are they doing in IT? ICT GCSE isn't available for current year 9 and below.

Submit Wed 22-Mar-17 19:02:54

Which would she enjoy most?

LoveB Wed 22-Mar-17 19:05:00

Does she want a job in IT? If not then I really can't imagine her not having a GCSE in IT being an issue.

If she thinks Drama, then go with Drama!

ohh Wed 22-Mar-17 22:14:25

Thank you for your replies. It's called GCSE IT (database and graphics) and is not GCSE Computing which is more programming. She is very good and likes both;hence she choose them. More annoyed that she has to take History instead I think as she liked both History and Geography but had to choose 1. Which was Geography as she also is completing DofE. I'm thinking more Drama as think she will ultimately prefer it. Doesn't want a job in IT or Drama incidentally! Thinking more of legal secretary or Researcher.

leonardthelemming Thu 23-Mar-17 10:27:32

Drama. (And this coming from a physicist.) She's right about people skills and IT changes so fast it will all be out of date anyway. (As I pointed out on another thread, DS2 has a senior position in IT despite having never studied it at school.)

AlexanderHamilton Thu 23-Mar-17 10:32:28

Drop ICT. It's being scrapped as a GCSE after next year anyway as it isn't seen as rigorous enough.

Drama on the other hand is actually highly regarded as a subject that supports other academic subjects (did you know the percentage of students being accepted to RG unis with A level drama for subjects like law is higher than some so called facilitating subjects.

senua Thu 23-Mar-17 10:44:06

I think that "Drama better for people skills ( she can be a bit shy )" could go two ways. Either it brings her out and enhances her presentation skills or she could retreat into an embarrassed shell. She is suggesting the former, so hopefully it will be that.
How is the course structured? Is there a lot of group-work so she is reliant on others for her mark/grade - what are the rest of the cohort like?

ohh Thu 23-Mar-17 10:48:39

Hello

I suggested Drama to her this am as read up the school blurb and it mentions a lot of planning and research. Also has thought abut being a Researcher anyway! Although she was worried about the solo assesment I said after practice of 2 years you should be ok. She said she the teachers pet in ICT and i said not a good thing and its a BTEC not GSCE.I think Drama is more flexible and confidence building.

Have text her so hopefully she gets it before has to make a decison today.

Thanks ;0

AlexanderHamilton Thu 23-Mar-17 10:51:00

The performance log is a big chunk of marks in the new spec.

It's basically a log/diary of how the performance was devised, why decisions were made. What worked & what didn't etc etc.

Strix Thu 23-Mar-17 10:56:01

ICT is now called Computer Science and is not, as far as I know being scrapped. My year 9 DD has just selected it fir GCSE. I think it's been renamed rather than scrapped. I think there is a stronger focus on programming than there was on the old ICT GCSE.

But, regarding you choice, I suggest she choose the one she thinks she will enjoy more and succeed in. It does sound like drama could go either way. Possibly a bit of a risky choice?

AlexanderHamilton Thu 23-Mar-17 11:11:25

Strix - Computer Science is a completely different GCSE with a different spec.

ICT is only available for examination for the current Year 10 & 11. After that it is bring scrapped as announced by the govt in 2015

A Btec Technical Award will be available this is still in draft stages.

AlexanderHamilton Thu 23-Mar-17 11:12:24

The OP was certain its ICT & not Computer Science her dd was due to take.

ohh Thu 23-Mar-17 11:17:35

Just had a text. Going for Drama. School do both BTEC ICT (website creating and the such)and Computer Science GCSE (programming) Different schools run other subjects.

Think she was only going for ICT because she was already a level 6 in current year 9. She is bright and Drama will push her to be a bit more confident. Plus its a break from very academic subjects. She is good at debating too.

Both choices very risky. wink

ohh Thu 23-Mar-17 16:33:44

Update. Decision still not made as shes avoided the teacher all day! Any Para Legals out there that can advise?

Has to be between ICT Btec or GCSE Drama; good at both and enjoys both.

Thanks
grin

ohh Thu 23-Mar-17 16:39:50

DD just said she has been advised a B/C for Drama and a A* or A for ICT. Think that nails it then......
wine is it too early.........!

galaxy671 Thu 23-Mar-17 17:21:30

Why don't they do computer science?

AlexanderHamilton Thu 23-Mar-17 17:26:46

What year is she in?

She should get a 1-9 Grade prediction for the GCSE or a Pass/Merit/Distinction prediction for the Btec.

Do check with potential 6th forms that they accept Btecs in order to go onto A levels if that is what she is planning to do.

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 23-Mar-17 17:34:18

OHH - As a solicitor I would say that most of the paralegals that are newly employed by firms are actual law graduates or LPC graduates that have failed to secure training contracts (that will enable them to qualify as a solicitor). It is very competitive.

As for GCSEs they would just be looking for a decent whack (eg. 8,9 or 10 of them at A*-C grades or grade 9-5 in new money!) if they were just looking for a legal secretary/paralegal going in straight from school.

ohh Thu 23-Mar-17 18:19:20

Teachers are still saying grades A to C but she will be first year getting all numbered grades. Year 9. The school do Computer Science as a GCSE but she doesn't want all programing so choose the ICT which is a BTEC . Stands for Information and Creative Technology. Definitely will check sixth forms as wants to go to uni. Thanks Alexander Hamilton

galaxy671 Thu 23-Mar-17 20:20:10

There's a lot more to the comp sci GCSE than programming, only 20% I believe on the new spec. But do check like alexanderhamilton said above, at my DS's sixth form they don't accept BTEC as entry onto comp sci.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now