Talk

Advanced search

Ditcham Park or Frensham Heights

(8 Posts)
jappa Sat 18-Mar-17 17:29:34

Does anyone have experience of these schools and their provision for dyslexia/dyspraxia? My 9 year old son was diagnosed at the end of year 4, he's now year 5, and as the secondary school option is looming we are considering private for smaller class sizes and better pastoral care. He's in a lovely state primary now, but the local secondary is huge and although excellent for very able kids, may well not suit our son. Churchers College is another that's been mentioned but I don't think he'd get through the entrance exams there, it's quite competitive. Ditcham and Frensham are less selective. We've also looked at Morehouse, but I'm really not sure his learning difficulties are severe enough for an environment like that. He is a very happy, sociable, confident boy and generally behaves well, although easily distracted and unfocused at times. Personal organisation is very weak, along with working memory and processing problems. Any feedback on any of these schools would be wonderful, thank you.

weary12 Sun 19-Mar-17 17:01:42

I don't have much experience of either. Ditcham is getting a new head after Easter. It only goes to GCSE. I do know some kids at Frensham- quite laid back, wearing no uniform and calling teachers by first name. Depends what you think of that. Have you considered Seaford? It's meant to be very good with learning support but has the full range of abilities.

jappa Sun 19-Mar-17 18:15:47

Thanks I will look up Seaford, I've heard of it on these threads, but don't know where it is. Might be too far as we're in Farnham. Many thanks.

Mary21 Sun 19-Mar-17 18:27:40

Seafood is in petworth. We had Knowl hill suggested to us but I thought is was too small. The Royal School at haslemere has senior boys now

Gianticicle Sun 19-Mar-17 19:16:49

I agree with a lot of what you say. I have 2 DCs with SENs, my DS is at More House (he has Asperger's syndrome and dyspraxia but is not dyslexic). It has been brilliant for him and I would say give them a call, see what they say when they've looked at your DS's reports. My DD is moderately dyslexic, when choosing secondary school for her we considered all those you mentioned apart from Churchers (too academic) and your state school (is it the one by the railway line? If so I can see why you would be nervous, it's not our catchment school though). I went to an Open Day at Frensham Heights and they were very positive about my DD and her dyslexia until they saw her report and then rejected her without further ado. I also agree that the laid back style may not be for every child. Facilities are amazing though. I approached Ditcham Park, after seeing the report they made an appointment for me to see the head, but it was cancelled at very short notice and they were not very forthcoming about another, it was a very lukewarm response, that combined with it being in the middle of nowhere ruled it out for me. Seaford - I didn't actually visit (we are towards Winchester so it is a long way) but it does have a good reputation for learning support, a friend of mine teaches there and agrees. Knowl Hill also worth looking at but it is very small.

jappa Fri 07-Apr-17 09:47:06

Thank you for your replies, and Gianticicle, yes I think you've guessed right about the large local state secondary! My next step is to meet with the head at FH and to supply Morehouse with our assessment report, and see if either school would even be able to offer him a place.
At least I have allowed myself time to work this out and am not in a panic......yet. Onwards.

moid33 Fri 07-Apr-17 12:31:18

Hi - I have two at FH, neither dyslexic and know a few at More House. One boy taken out of FH to go to More House because it was not suiting him.

My boys are very different and both are very happy at FH. It is not an academic hothouse, although I think there are some good teachers which is not the same at every non academic private school.

Positives:
- it is well run, with a holistic ethos which permeates the school
- creative opportunities. In year 7 my boys had lessons for dance, drama, music, art, computer design, ceramics all in the same week. For kids who aren't academic it provides opportunities to succeed and generally they are subjects that provide confidence
- academically you can succeed and there is a wide range of abilities
- not a lot of homework and what is set seems relevant
- kids given a lot of 'freedom', no stupid rules for the sake of it
- an ethos of trust and communication
- no religious indoctrination.

In one of my boys I can see a love of learning

jappa Fri 14-Apr-17 18:29:24

Thanks moid, that is certainly a lovely review of FH. I think my son would be very happy there, but I do worry about the lack of structure, as he is very disorganised. I wonder if he would just get way with doing as little as possible if he weren't pushed a bit too. Dilemmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now