Talk

Advanced search

Yr 7 appeal question

(14 Posts)
user1486838048 Sat 18-Mar-17 13:39:26

Hi, can anyone please tell me if an appeal panel have information in front of them regarding the School we have actually been offered? We have recieved none of our preferences and instead have been allocated a place at a very unpopular under performing school.

We have now changed our 3 rd pref to a slightly better improving school that still has places. I don't overtly mention the offered School in my appeal paper work but do allude to it. This may all change if we get our new third pref (we will still appeal and wait for pref one and two). Would I need to mention this at appeal?

Thank you

titchy Sat 18-Mar-17 13:51:55

Your appeal should be based on how the appeal school is the only school that can offer your child x, y and z, and demonstrate why your child needs x, y and z.

Offered school is only mentioned as one of the many other schools that your child can travel to none of which has x, y and z.

user1486838048 Sat 18-Mar-17 14:00:38

Hi, yes totally get that but what I am clumsily trying to ask is do I need to inform the panel if our offered School has changed? Or do they already know which schools we have recieved offers for?

Thanks

prh47bridge Sat 18-Mar-17 15:14:04

You will get a copy of all the paperwork for the appeal at the same time as the appeal panel. You will be able to see if it says what school you have been offered and, if it does, whether that is correct.

user1486838048 Sat 18-Mar-17 17:10:27

Great, thank you

teabag20048 Sun 19-Mar-17 08:32:48

The appeal panel don't need to know what school you have been offered or why you don't wish to accept it.

Helenluvsrob Sun 19-Mar-17 08:37:43

Surely if the school you would now put 3rd has places you ask them and they give ds a place ? You can still appeal for school 1 but will have a place to fall back on that you are happier with ?

prh47bridge Sun 19-Mar-17 08:42:45

The appeal panel don't need to know what school you have been offered

It can be relevant. It depends on the OP's case.

user1486838048 Sun 19-Mar-17 08:54:37

Hi, thanks, yes in our case our there are some relivent factors regarding our current offered School. However if we get offered our new 3 rd choice by the time of appeal some of these factors (but not all) are removed.

For example, we believe School A (appeal School) can cater for DD's pastoral needs due to a number of factors including smaller PAN than offered School (DD has experienced bullying, evidence provided) HOWEVER our new 3rd choice has a much smaller PAN. It will depend on how our offers shake out if and when we go to appeal what we can realistically use as a valid point. There are others factors we are basising appeal on so won't be left without a case should this happen.

user1486838048 Sun 19-Mar-17 08:59:14

Sorry, also to answer helenluvsrob, re our new 3 rd choice. We don't automatically get this School just because they currently have places. We are just back in the pool for round 2 allocations. Bearing in mind number of places left is much smaller than at round 1 and there are still lots of desperate parents looking about for a school place that is 'OK' but better than a place at the school they have been offered.
If we are lucky enough to get our 3.rd choice we will snap it up but will still do everything to get DD into choice 1 or 2 including waiting as long as it takes

tiggytape Sun 19-Mar-17 17:21:36

To be honest, I am not convinced that comparing PANs in order to indicate a decreased chance of bullying is necessarily the way to go even if the panel are able to see that one school's PAN is much larger.

Prevention of bullying depends on many factors: attitude of leadership, dedicated support staff, ethos of school, pastoral support systems, adherence to behavior policy etc that I don't think it is as simple as saying fewer children = less bullying (forgive me is that's not what you are saying but that's how it read).

For appeal, it is always better if you can to turn that on its head. I wouldn't mention PANS at all. I would say DD has suffered bullying (and present evidence eg emails and correspondence with primary school and reports from GP or CAMHS). And then say all of the things that school A does (preferably that other schools don't routinely) that mean your DD will feel happier at the appeal school and will reassure you all that bullying incidents are better dealt with. So pastoral care, buddying systems, focus events, behavioural policies and anything else that relates to it.

Rudi44 Sun 19-Mar-17 17:52:15

Hi, thanks so much, yes PAN was one aspect but not by any means the only thing. Pastoral care we have referenced as well as other factors.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I know there are lots of appeal questions right now

Witchend Sun 19-Mar-17 19:17:55

If they don't know what school you've been allocated then it's perfectly possible that you could state things like "We want school A because they have a wind band and our dc plays the trumpet" in full knowledge the other school has one-even a better one?

So I've always assumed they would have knowledge of the school you were allocated.
Sorry-idle speculation!

Rudi44 Sun 19-Mar-17 20:07:05

Yes that's what I assumed. We won't be making any wild claims!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now