Talk

Advanced search

TV Series that can inspire career choices?

(42 Posts)
forensicstudies Sat 18-Mar-17 09:43:57

Over the years I've heard various people say that certain TV drama series inspired their career choices. I'm thinking things like law, forensic science.

CSI springs to mind for forensics, but I've just looked at the IMDB parents guide for it and don't think it would be suitable for my Y8 DS!

Do any of you have suggestions of drama series that might be suitable for younger teens?

wossgoinon Sat 18-Mar-17 09:49:24

Hmm

Again not one for kids. But my daughter decided to become a criminologist after watching Dexter

senua Sat 18-Mar-17 10:15:11

I don't get it. Why do you want your DCs' choice of career to be influenced by a fictionalised, idealised portrayal?

Speak to friends & family. Get work experience. Watch documentaries. Read biographies.
Get out into the real world!

GlobalTechIndustries Sat 18-Mar-17 10:26:47

Senu, because sometimes the shows give a deeper insight to the professions that they may not see from just talking with friends or colleagues. Books are good but sometimes to give more of a better perspective then the shows can give this detail.

forensicstudies Sat 18-Mar-17 10:50:43

Senua, don't fret, we'll do all that too. This just gives another angle.

We don't watch much TV together as a family, but when we do its an added bonus if it has some educational value. We watch documentaries, but it's good to have some drama sometimes too.

oklumberjack Sat 18-Mar-17 10:58:43

My dd, who's 12 claims she's interested in Pathology after watching Molly in Sherlock. Im not treating it too seriously at the moment as it hardly shows the 'real' job however it's made her very interested and impatient to get to do dissection in Science and has a renewed interest in human biology.

However she's also interested in Werewolves so......😂

forensicstudies Sat 18-Mar-17 11:00:32

There's a good article about TV-inspired careers here but most of the shows referenced seem to be 15+: www.theguardian.com/money/2006/jun/03/careers.graduation

I think we may try the X-Files though! That's a 12.

Spam88 Sat 18-Mar-17 11:14:06

No specific recommendations, but just wanted to throw out there that whilst tv might be great for fostering an interest in a certain profession, the reality is normally a million miles away from what's depicted (CSI being a particularly good example of this).

I was interested in becoming a forensic scientist following a talk we had from one in school. When I tried to arrange a work experience placement they were very wary of young people who'd found a sudden interest in forensics and made the point (several times) that it was nothing like CSI.

Graphista Sat 18-Mar-17 11:14:10

The good wife, casualty, doctors, the bill, Boston legal, west wing, maybe silent witness depending if squeamish, ER, holby city, masterchef,

There's films too

Erin brokovich, all the presidents men,

Chimchar Sat 18-Mar-17 11:16:50

Rhod Gilbert does a comedy type show where he tries a different career every week. It's 30 mins long.

He did building last night. It was a bit sweary, but fun to watch!

It might just be on BBC Wales. You could look on I player?

here

JooLoo Sat 18-Mar-17 11:28:42

All Creatures Great and Small! If it's available these days!

Clavinova Sat 18-Mar-17 12:21:33

5 reasons you shouldn't take a forensics bsc and what you should do instead:
forensicoutreach.com/library/5-reasons-you-shouldnt-take-a-forensics-bsc-and-what-you-should-do-instead/

University rankings for forensic science - choose your uni wisely!
www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Forensic%20Science

Graphista Sat 18-Mar-17 12:21:43

All creatures currently running on drama, might be on uktvplay catch up.

All4 and iplayer tend to have quite old shows available might be worth a browse

MandMand Sat 18-Mar-17 12:34:30

I know its not on any more but I think Time Team inspired a lot of people to study Archaeology or History. Not a huge amount of jobs in those fields any more though unfortunately, although if done at a good university they are well respected degrees for entry into many graduate training schemes.

The David Attenborough documentaries are very child friendly and could inspire an interest in science, as would the programmes Brian Cox has made about physics and astronomy, such as Wonders of the Universe or Human Universe. Stargazing Live is usually on for a week once a year and is brilliant for kids if they can stay up a bit later than usual.

My children are 7 and 10 and love watching Spring Watch, Autumn Watch and Winter Watch. Its really got them thinking about how different animals adapt to their environments and the changing seasons.

MandMand Sat 18-Mar-17 12:37:22

Sorry, only just realised you said Drama series, not documentaries.

corythatwas Sat 18-Mar-17 13:05:57

Serious risk with this approach, OP: they might be inspired to become actors grin

Allthebestnamesareused Sat 18-Mar-17 17:39:21

Friends' daughter inspired by Ally McBeal to become a lawyer. At age 16 did a week's work experience with my corporate lawyer DH. Put her off - she became an actuary!

228agreenend Sat 18-Mar-17 17:41:45

Watching Police Interceptors repeatedly has encouraged my son to consider the police.

annandale Sat 18-Mar-17 17:47:22

The King's Speech for speech therapy?

Call the Midwife/OBEM

Very old and dated now but I think And The Band Played On at least makes lab science and management of public service look real and as if they are done by reasonable people who enjoy their jobs. Possibly not in year 8, I see it's a 15 and there are a couple of quite harrowing scenes.

Field of Dreams for writing, farming and librarianship??

lljkk Sat 18-Mar-17 18:10:58

Scrubs is good for all things medical. AND it's suitable for an 8yo.

Whereas Big Bang Theory is rubbish in 6 different ways, as well as its terrible portrayal of what it means to be an academic or a scientist.

GnomeDePlume Sun 19-Mar-17 06:43:02

I am wondering what I must have watched as a child to make me think that accountancy was the profession for me. I am guessing that I looked at all the suggestions above and thought 'that all looks far too racey for me!'

Graphista Sun 19-Mar-17 07:23:52

Haha gnome accountancy doesn't have to be boring. My aunt was a forensic accountant. She has as a result dealt with several celebrities, gangsters, famous ceo's... And of course was regularly giving evidence in court.

BikeRunSki Sun 19-Mar-17 07:34:50

I always wanted to be a vet, totally influenced by All Creatures Great and Small, which had the 8pm Sunday slot on BBC1 when I was about 12+. I did the right A levels etc, but actually I don't really like animals. I did a different degree, and now work in that field. I do drive around the countryside in a land rover though, I think that's what I really wanted to do.

GnomeDePlume Sun 19-Mar-17 07:58:36

Graphista, there's an exciting wing to accountancy! <faints>

BikeRunSki I think you have touched on what television shows demonstrate about jobs. It isnt what it is like to actually do the job, more the environment of the job. This can be quite negative sometimes.

I remember my DD swore blind she could never work in an office having seen all those shows where people work in little cubicles. I was able to wangle her onto a business trip where she found out that an office is just a place of work (and where accountants go to swear, a lot)

EssentialHummus Sun 19-Mar-17 08:08:45

This is not a good idea for law IMO, as a lawyer with a sideline in recruitment. So many people come into law because of its sexy portrayal in Suits etc, and leave not long after. For law I think the closest viable thing is 24 Hours in Police Custody, where they sometimes have the duty solicitor on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now