Talk

Advanced search

How to respond to school report.

(7 Posts)
youarenotkiddingme Thu 16-Mar-17 07:26:55

Ds started a new school at the beginning of year 8 due to a whole host of failures at previous secondary and a resulting breakdown.

On the whole I'm thrilled with the school and DS anxiety has reduced massively.

I had his school report this week and I'm not sure if I'm overthinking things so could do with some advice.

Basically report is as I'd expect academically and is written in the usual positive spin but there is lots of comments related to his his concentration and handwriting and interactions with his peers.
Basically saying they need improving. We know this! Ds has asd and other associated difficulties.

I also know that despite all the school are doing they've gone back to writing from laptop, don't do his sensory diet and he isn't getting social skills/Elsa support. All of which would hopefully stop this.

I also don't want to make it sound at parents evening as if I'm making excuses for ds.

So would it be passive aggressive to gently ask them why they think the recommended inputs aren't working and if I or them contact his professionals involved as ask further advice. I'm thinking it's a gentler approach than saying "we'll do his sensory diet then!" (Etc!)

TeenAndTween Thu 16-Mar-17 07:43:19

I would do something like
a) copy his report to tutor, head of year and SENCO saying: we see a number of teachers are raising X Y and Z. We feel this could well be because supports A B and C are not properly in place. Please could you have a talk together about how to address this and get back to me with your plans by the end of next week.
b) If you feel appropriate, then prior to parents evening, email each teacher directly (if you can do this, we can at DDs school) saying I note your comments saying X Y and Z. This is due to his SEN and we have contacted the school separately regarding some expected provisions A B and CX not being in place across all lessons. I am emailing you to inform you of this now so that parents evening can be about academic progress.

youarenotkiddingme Fri 17-Mar-17 12:17:49

Thank you.

I just emailed his key workerand said I was an it concerned about some comments and wondered what was going on.
Waiting for her to get to back to me - said she'll look into it

user1489855835 Sat 18-Mar-17 16:55:43

school should definitely not be wasting time and resources on his sensory diet.

That is entirely up to you, if you want to impose this, it is not in any way anything to do with his educational setting.

youarenotkiddingme Sat 18-Mar-17 18:00:09

User do you actually know anything about sensory motor disorder?
Because ds sensory OT (NHS) has said he needs certain activities throughout the day to remain in a calm alert state. And yes, they are responsible for delivering it or ds cannot learn properly and it impacts on everyone.

lljkk Sat 18-Mar-17 18:12:52

gosh this is so complicated, you need to post on the SN board.

My gut feeling was that I would respond by thinking "Hoorah he has so few problems now!!" compared to before. And then nudge gently at trying to improve things. Good luck.

youarenotkiddingme Sat 18-Mar-17 18:42:55

I do usually post there! A lot in fact!!
It's also helpful to have opinions from other parents of secondary aged kids because it's really easy to get intrenched in the SN battle.

Ds is only doing better in so far as he's less anxious - but this school has a much better ethos and openly admits bullying can happen and deals with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now