Wakefield Girls High, Woodhouse Grove, North Halifax Grammar

(21 Posts)
Wghsmum Wed 15-Mar-17 20:44:16

Hi (Wakefield Girls High, Woodhouse Grove, North Halifax Grammar)
just wondering if anyone has any experience or view on these schools? We are considering these for our DD for year 7 in Sept. Visited each once and did some online search. So far WGHS seems to get the best results but not best facilities. Good vibe of Woodhouse Grove but results not great and possibility of North Halifax but limited extra curricular.
So really could do with some opinions.
Thanks in advance!

Wghsmum Wed 15-Mar-17 20:49:18

Sorry not sure if this is the best place to post as posting for the first time 😊

RedHelenB Thu 16-Mar-17 13:11:04

Which is nearest to where you live?

WhatHaveIFound Thu 16-Mar-17 14:39:11

Woodhouse Grove results don't seem great on paper as they take a wide range of students including overseas boarders and a few children out of their year groups. Discipline had been a bit of a problem but the new head is cracking down. I don't think any of that affects the bright kids who just knuckle down and get on with studying.

What's your DD interested in? Is she a netballer as they're very strong on that there? Great music/drama departments too and a good range of extra curricular activities. Occasional boarding comes in very handy for us busy (self employed) parents.

Which do you live closest to?

carabos Thu 16-Mar-17 14:41:27

Bullying rife at Woodhouse Grove and loads of foreign students- not necessarily a bad thing, but depends what you want.

Wghsmum Thu 16-Mar-17 18:24:11

Around the same distance from all three schools

Wghsmum Thu 16-Mar-17 18:38:37

Discipline and bullying issues are worrying but sports/music/ drama sound good.

carabos Thu 16-Mar-17 21:15:27

Is GSAL too far for you?

Rosieposy4 Thu 16-Mar-17 22:29:12

Woodhouse grove is pretty awful to be fair. Go and watch the behaviour of their first 15 at rugby matches, watch their sports staff and slt and how they react to it ( ie ignore it). Bullying is rife. I have had kids at different secondary schools and taught in several others, i have probably been to more than 50 others schools over the years for rugby. Woody grove is the one i always hate because of the vile rude parents and arrogant unpleasant students. ( in contrast i go to many other schools and wish i lived close enough to send my kids there).
Wakefield girls I don't really know other than a couple of staff and a few kids there. They all seem pretty happy. I don't think you need flash in your face facilities for success and happy settled, successful kids.
Know nothing about North Halifax.

Iamastonished Thu 16-Mar-17 22:42:00

Have you looked at Heckmondwike Grammar and Bradford Grammar Schools?

DD was offered a place at WGHS, but we didn't qualify for a bursary so she went elsewhere. There is also Silcoates which isn't as academically rigorous, but has excellent pastoral care.

Rosieposy4 Thu 16-Mar-17 23:09:35

New head at heckmondwike was not well thought of previously 😳However it is free so big advantage, think you have to probably be closer than OP might be though?
Yes Silcoates is great, i sent one of my dc there and they ended up with A*, A, A at A level. ( and his best mate got A,A,A) so they can stretch the bright ones, just less selective overall.

WhatHaveIFound Fri 17-Mar-17 11:22:51

Luckily we're not all vile rude parents of arrogant unpleasant rugby players grin

Wghsmum Fri 17-Mar-17 20:22:32

Hi all, really appreciate your comments. These are helpful.

Iamastonished Fri 17-Mar-17 20:36:17

I have friends with children at WGHS and Silcoates, and none of them have regretted their decision, although by 6th form most of them are looking at Greenhead because it is a) Outstanding, and b) Free.

Orangesox Fri 17-Mar-17 20:58:22

Have you considered Bradford Grammar School at all?

I'm an old bradfordian so quite possibly very biased but there's no other school that we will be considering when the time comes for our DC. I was most recently there on Wednesday speaking at an event for students looking to go into medical and health science careers and I continue to be thoroughly impressed at the well rounded individuals being educated at BGS. They have fabulous facilities, a comprehensive selection of extra curricular activities and a broad curriculum to allow their pupils to explore their interests to the best of their abilities.

Happy to answer any queries you may have about BGS.

Wghsmum Mon 20-Mar-17 21:32:59

Thanks, we looked into the schools mentioned, however, decided only to look further into WGHS, WG, and NH.

Rawdonmum18 Sat 25-Mar-17 11:46:25

Hi, I'm a parent of a Woodhouse Grove pupil, and another one that has gone all the way through now and at uni. The school is very inclusive and has great opportunities. There is a really good mix of kids from all sorts of backgrounds and whatever your abilities and interests there is something for you. It gets great results from the mix of kids, and has a high % rate for Oxbridge too. The staff are brilliant, so caring and sort any issues out. They go out of their way to give extra help and support. Music and drama is great as are sports. But it is not as some say just a "sports school". It is academic too. My kids have been involved with some of the alternative sports like climbing, squash and swimming, although have also been in netball teams too. The school has a very nice feel and atmosphere. It has prepared them very well for the next stage of their lives. I am sure there are other schools around that may have done the same, but this is my experience of Woodhouse Grove.

doublesnap Sun 26-Mar-17 10:54:36

A friend of mine sent her sons to NHGS, they have appalling pastoral care and it's more about the grades than the mental health of the pupils.

WhatHaveIFound Mon 27-Mar-17 08:28:20

I can vouch for the excellent pastoral care at WG in my experiences over the last year. It was something i never thought we'd have to call upon but exam stresses and other personal issues have needed the help of the school. They've been brilliant every step of the way including late night email updates.

Iamastonished Mon 27-Mar-17 08:42:59

"A friend of mine sent her sons to NHGS, they have appalling pastoral care and it's more about the grades than the mental health of the pupils."

Heckmondwike Grammar lso has that reputation.

Rosieposy4 Tue 28-Mar-17 22:28:53

If it didn't before ( heck grammar) then it will soon if the new head continues in his normal vein

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now