Talk

Advanced search

Tonbridge School - any views

(13 Posts)
whatnext2016 Mon 13-Mar-17 08:03:44

Not much said about this school - aside from now and again people mentioning it being sporty - despite it being up there in the academic rankings. Has anyone seriously considered it? Does anyone know it directly? Academics are impressive but trying to work out whether it really does also have strong music and arts and what the all-boy culture/ feel is like day to day at this school. Any insights much appreciated. Thank you. smile

Enko Mon 13-Mar-17 12:26:32

1 friend with a child there who last time we spoke was thriving.

MidLifeCrisis007 Mon 13-Mar-17 13:06:15

Were you at the open day on Saturday OP?

whatnext2016 Mon 13-Mar-17 13:15:19

Yes I was ... but still have these questions...very difficult to tell from the open day. I am also curious that it's not discussed as a contender alongside usual 'names' given ranking, facilities, proximity to London etc.

MidLifeCrisis007 Mon 13-Mar-17 13:31:48

I'm in the same position as you! We were impressed by what we saw - particularly the boarding accommodation.

The Sunday Times rankings for 2016-17 (based on GCSE and A levels) has Tonbridge in 30th (Winchester 27th....Eton 12th.....Radley 40th.... Wellington 48th and no sign of Harrow in top 100).

It's certainly a contender for our DS2.

whatnext2016 Mon 13-Mar-17 13:56:17

I know - and if you take out the ones they can't attend because they're not girls winkit's even higher... very curious.

Is your DS very sporty? Did you get the feeling liberal arts and music strong and that arty bookish and musical kids etc would thrive as well as those who want to spend their life on the rugby pitch? I want it to be so, but unsure!!

hatchypomagain Mon 13-Mar-17 13:58:04

Very much on the up with prep parents round here - definitely striding ahead and would have been our first choice for boarding.

whatnext2016 Mon 13-Mar-17 14:20:51

Thanks Enko - is the thriving DS of a friend you know very sporty, musical, all rounder??...

and thanks Hatchy - more popular locally than Sevenoaks?

yikesanotherbooboo Mon 13-Mar-17 14:32:29

Current parent; humanities are very strong and huge numbers of boys continue with instruments/ singing/ groups of all sorts.
Every one plays rugby in year 9 for first term but after that there are no compulsory sports and plenty of choice ; lots play racket sports but all the usual are available and the facilities are fantastic.
Easy to get to from London so for se London parents looking at boarding it would be an easy choice.

yikesanotherbooboo Mon 13-Mar-17 14:36:04

Sevenoaks has a slightly different demographic I would say , clever self motivated children aiming for IB. Clearly mixed , very international at sixth form and less of an emphasis on the ctracurricular . The house system at Tonbridge is very strong as is the pastoral side. Lots of bookish boys around .

whatnext2016 Mon 13-Mar-17 16:11:53

Very useful and also reassuring yikesanotherbooboo - thank you for taking the time to post, much appreciated. smile I quite like that it seems slightly out of the limelight just curious to know why...

Enko Mon 13-Mar-17 16:36:39

He is a avid rugby player.

whatnext2016 Mon 13-Mar-17 16:57:52

Enko - smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now