Talk

Advanced search

Can she get in?

(10 Posts)
botwotworks Sun 12-Mar-17 16:45:50

Hi
I don't follow the chat in MN that closely, so apologise if this has been asked before.
I have a child in year 4 & we live in London, in an area that doesn't have grammar schools. At parent-teacher meetings, there aren't any concerns raised & they say she's doing well in everything. "keep up the good work at home" type thing. She's in the top group for maths & literacy. I think she's smart, but her dad & I think she needs to be challenged in what she does, or she will coast.

We think a selective school, surrounded by smart, ambitious kids will work well for her, so would like her to go to a Grammar. To achieve this, we'll need to move to an area with a Grammar, tutoring her for the next year (to be on the same playing field as other kids) & then sitting the tests.

My thing is - is it worthwhile doing all this, when perhaps she's not really that smart ? By this I mean, either that she's not going to be able to keep up, or that the pass mark will be so ridiculously high it's just not attainable for her.

How do I find out? Suggestions anyone ? I'm not sure if her teacher will give me a straight answer, or even if the teacher has enough knowledge of what the required level is.

Anyone??

user1469682920 Sun 12-Mar-17 17:48:23

Find a good tutor and get them to test your daughter. A good tutor would be able to advise on her chances

angeldiver Sun 12-Mar-17 17:59:44

Yep, get a tutor to assess her.
Preferably one who is familar with the schools you have in mind.

allzwell Sun 12-Mar-17 17:59:57

I was in a similar situation three years ago, wasn't sure whether my DD was really that capable of getting into a selective school or if ( assuming she gets in) that would do her good . Glad to say it turned out well. You will not know until you try. I think it is a worthwhile thing to do. Alternatively look into grammars that don't have catchment areas but those you can still commute to., if moving house is too much of a risk.

My DD wasn't tutored, she did Bond online on her own ( we were busy with shift work and younger sibling) and attended a summer course in year 5 ( just before the exams ) at one of the tuition centres.

So, I think it is possible . N so worth it. All the best , OP

user1469682920 Sun 12-Mar-17 19:46:11

Hi just to clarify, I wasn't necessarily saying she needs to be tutored for the tests - just that you could get a tutor to advise on her potential and possibly suitability for particular schools

botwotworks Sun 12-Mar-17 20:16:06

HI, thanks for your advice.

My only concern with that is that I'd worry that having a tutor test her (for suitability) is a little self-serving.

I suppose if I look on MN for recommendations....

antimatter Sun 12-Mar-17 20:31:09

First have her tested to see where she is in comparison with other kids.
Then you can make some plans. Use recommended tutor who is also honest with parents.

bibbitybobbityyhat Sun 12-Mar-17 20:34:15

Gosh, what a lot of effort! Would you really move house for this? Why don't you think she would do well in the top set of a London comprehensive?

PettsWoodParadise Sun 12-Mar-17 21:11:58

DD entered 3 state grammar tests as we are in a region in SE London that borders three grammar areas but we wouldn't have moved for this. One of the schools was superselective but we chose to do home familiarisation rather than tutoring and she got the first school of her choice. It would have been the wrong sort of pressure to move to an area and then know the move might have been vain. I know some who find out in October they got a good score in Kent tests but not good enough for an out-of-county score so they move then within the deadline of first week of December for notifying of change of address in Kent system and successfully get a place. For me that is a lot of changes - new home, new school, long commute for last term of primary or home ed for primary, all at a time when being settled will be a helpful foundation. Yes our DD is very happy in a grammar so I may not be the best to comment, but the grass can sometimes seem greener than it really is when looking from a non grammar area into a grammar area and you overlook the excellent schools that are nearby.

bojorojo Sun 12-Mar-17 22:00:26

Move to Kent or Bucks now and take your chances!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now