Talk

Advanced search

Which Science & Maths revision books for GCSEs?

(12 Posts)
KikiDeliversCakes Thu 09-Mar-17 13:19:33

My DT(een) is in year 9 and they've already started on GCSE syllabus for Science (and probably Maths too). They'll be doing triple science.

DT says some school friends have CGP revision books already and they would like those or something similar - they get end of unit tests frequently and DT thinks revision books will help consolidate learning and help with these tests, not just the end of yr 11 final GCSE exams.

What books shall I get?

My concern is that if I buy a stack of CGP books, for example, will the syllabus be changing in the next few years? Does anyone know??

School uses books rather than online resources for these subjects. DT would prefer a physical book to revise with, rather than something online. TIA.

insan1tyscartching Thu 09-Mar-17 13:27:06

Dd was given the CGP Science revision guide yesterday so for her school they seem to be relevant for the syllabus.Dd is in year 9 too.

catslife Thu 09-Mar-17 14:37:26

Provided you buy revision books for the new 9-1 syllabus, you should be fine.
Current Y11s are the final year to take the old style Science exams. So both types of revision guide are available at the moment.

SweepTheHalls Thu 09-Mar-17 14:38:47

You need to know what exam board you are in order to make a choice smile

Astro55 Thu 09-Mar-17 14:45:00

Yes - ask the school about the exam board - then buy the books

Ask the science head for suggestions as some do the higher papers

KikiDeliversCakes Thu 09-Mar-17 15:26:10

Thanks for the responses. We're AQA for all the sciences and maths. I'll double check that any books we get will be for the 1-9 grading system.

Anyone have any particular publishing house recommendations please? I've only heard of CGP ones.

Ta1kinPeace Thu 09-Mar-17 20:32:49

see what the school suggest

Astro55 Thu 09-Mar-17 21:31:04

AQA have their own website but amazon are cheaper on secondhand

BUT ask school they may have an account with them and usually half price for schools to purchase - obviously parents pay for them

happy2bhomely Thu 09-Mar-17 21:35:44

We've always used the CGP books but we've just got the Collins guides (ds is year 11, so old spec for science) and they are very good.

portico Sat 11-Mar-17 03:53:51

I have a Y9 and a Y7. I went through the rites of passage buying the vastly overrated CGP books, firstly KS3 and then 9-1 GCSEs.

I now go for more evolved texts:

AQA Sciences GCSEs. OUP have their own text books and have just published revision books. Hodder have own text books and will publish Revision Books by September. Son uses OUP books from school, and Hodder ones from me. Hodder is more robust.

CGP in their favour do produce a Fantastic Maths GCSE 9-1 textbook, it covers all boards. I just think their revision guides nad workbooks are not up to scratch. Practice Books in Maths provided by Cambridge Press ad Hodder would enhance any learning. Books are less than £10 each. Answers are online.

There is no replacing good old fashion diligent study, and exam question practice.

At KS3 science purchase the OUP Activate Books. For KS3 maths, purchase the glorious Earson Progression Workbooks. There are three tiers, each comprising 3 books. Tier 1 pitched at old SATS level 3-6, Tier 2 is 4-7 and Tier 3 is 5-8. I am using Tier 3 on my underperforming Y7, and the calibration of questions are helping.

portico Sat 11-Mar-17 03:58:18

Apologies for typos, text reproduced here:

I have a Y9 and a Y7. I went through the rites of passage buying the vastly overrated CGP books, firstly KS3 and then 9-1 GCSEs.

I now go for more evolved texts:

AQA Sciences GCSEs. OUP have their own text books and have just published revision books. Hodder have own text books and will publish Revision Books by September. Son uses OUP books from school, and Hodder ones from me. Hodder is more robust.

CGP in their favour do produce a fantastic Maths GCSE 9-1 textbook, it covers all boards. I just think their revision guides and workbooks are not up to scratch. Practice Books in Maths provided by Cambridge Press and Hodder would enhance any learning. Books are less than £10 each. Answers are available online.

There is no replacing good old fashion diligent study, and exam question practice.

At KS3 science I purchase the OUP Activate Books. For KS3 maths, I purchase the glorious Pearson Progression Workbooks. There are three tiers, each comprising 3 books. Tier 1 pitched at old SATS level 3-6, Tier 2 is 4-7 and Tier 3 is 5-8. I am using Tier 3 on my underperforming Y7, and the calibre of questions he is closed to is helping greatly.

portico Sat 11-Mar-17 03:59:17

Last sentence, should be exposed, not closed.

Why won't MN have a bloody edit function on posts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now