Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Which AQA GCSE Phys, Bio, Chem textbook is the best

(9 Posts)
portico Tue 07-Mar-17 11:05:28

Hi

A quick question to parents and science teachers, in relation to the AQA GCSE 9-1 Physics, Chemistry and Biology Subjects. Which approved textbook is used out there and how well do you rate it.

School uses OUP which I think are light in content, but very good for questions practice. Dies anyone have experience of the Hodder and Collins books, please

Rosieposy4 Tue 07-Mar-17 20:39:53

Hodder is fine, prefer the Nelson Thornes.

mumsneedwine Tue 07-Mar-17 21:27:41

We have ours on line using kaboodle. I miss proper textbooks (but they are too expensive to buy).

portico Tue 07-Mar-17 21:29:53

Son uses OUP Kerboodle, but I think they are content light for the AWA single science subjects. OUP are a market leader, never understood why?

Rosieposy4 Tue 07-Mar-17 21:40:37

Yes we actually use Kerboodle in my school, good for the extra stuff but I didn't mention that as OP was after actual text books!
I don't think kerboodle is any more content light than many of the text books, if you don't like kerboodle then discount the neslon thornes one as it is identical to the kerboolde text book without the kerboodle logos.

mumsneedwine Wed 08-Mar-17 20:45:09

My own kids prefer the CGP revision guides to work from. Think they are pretty good to ensure basics are there. Textbooks does depend on exam board.

mumsneedwine Wed 08-Mar-17 20:46:11

Sorry meant to add this link to the AQA textbooks:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/gcse-combined-science-trilogy-textbooks-print-and-digital

TheSecondOfHerName Wed 08-Mar-17 21:17:20

DS2 is using the ones that look like this, accessed via Kerboodle. I've had a look at all three.

I like the layout (subtopic per double page) and there are practice questions at the end of each topic.

However, I think they occasionally oversimplify concepts, and the text is overly wordy.

portico Wed 08-Mar-17 22:20:28

Hi

DS has OUp hard copy books, as well as Kerboodle. I brought him the Hodder Books. I think Hodder has better explanations, but OUP has better end of chapter qns. Only problem is that OUP topics are a bit scatter gun, whereas Hodder has each section aligned to the corresponding sections in the AQA spec. Will probably use a combination of both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now