Talk

Advanced search

Reserve list WGS

(18 Posts)
mollymoo12 Tue 07-Mar-17 08:44:36

Hi

We are on the reserve list for our 1st choice school- gutted about it. deadline for the school for accepts /rejects is 12 noon tomorrow 08/03/17.

we were told that we will be contacted after that if there is a place - But the deadline to accept reject our definite offer we would take also expires at 12 noon tomorrow.

Any advice - what happens- we don't know we are on the reserve list. Also if we were in with a chance would they not contact us as soon as some people rejected.

Everyone I know seems to be sitting on offers and has sat every school going!

Does WGS over offer?

Thank you

mollymoo12 Tue 07-Mar-17 08:45:51

sorry meant to say don't know where we are on the reserve list.

poisonedbypen Tue 07-Mar-17 08:48:05

What is WGS?

mollymoo12 Tue 07-Mar-17 08:52:31

Hi

sorry- Withington Girls School- part of the Manchester Schools Consortium so same offer day and same deadline to accept reject an offer but all schools then save they have a waiting list that will open after 12 noon tomorrow even though they belong to a group that seems to be about anti competition.

poisonedbypen Tue 07-Mar-17 09:34:53

Is it a private school? Maybe they will hive you an extension if you explain why? Sorry, i don't know anything about this, so will back out now smile

MrsNuckyThompson Tue 07-Mar-17 09:43:25

What happens if you accept the other place? Do you then pay a deposit?

We ended up paying two deposits for schools which weren't our first choice (places for the three schools were offered in reverse order) so we didn't lose them while waiting for confirmation from our number 1. Yes it is a waste of money in some ways but we just viewed it as part of the cost of the private education we were looking at.

After we had the confirmation of the place we did want we released the other places for someone else on the list.

Is that an option?

mollymoo12 Tue 07-Mar-17 10:47:26

Yes I suppose it is an option but then I feel bad for the people who want the place we will sit on.
Does a lot happen before September. I thought it would all be over now but I think this is still just part of the whole rollercoaster.

Did you get a place for your 1st choice on a reserve list or was it a later date for sending out offers?

It is awful waiting - DD jumped through the exam hoop- then interview hoop and now still not out of her (our) misery as no idea if a reserve list means we are still in with a chance?

chameleon71 Tue 07-Mar-17 11:26:05

most independent schools will give you an extension if you say you are struggling to decide?

I would contact the school offering a definite place and ask for an extension until Monday - and maybe arrange another tour to look around it on Friday so they don't think you are timewasters.

My friend got such an extension last year from 2 highly sought after schools and was then able to make her decision after everyone else.

IvyFoy Tue 07-Mar-17 18:48:56

I would definitely contact WGS and explain your predicament. I would also ask where on the reserve list you are and how likely it is that you will receive an offer. What is your second choice? X

MrsNuckyThompson Wed 08-Mar-17 09:14:44

The three we applied for all had different offer dates hence the predicament! I think a TON happens between now and the starting point - lots of people will be in the same position as you!

Bubbles1973 Wed 08-Mar-17 12:51:35

We declined WGS and accepted MHSG, so there is definitely one place up for grabs! Good Luck!

mollymoo12 Wed 08-Mar-17 14:19:20

Thanks Bubbles- you never know we may hear. I hope your Daughter loves her time and MHSG.

Bubbles1973 Wed 08-Mar-17 15:59:53

Thanks, did you call WGS to see where you are on the list? I really hope you get in, it's a great school, I am sure your DD will get on very well.

mollymoo12 Thu 09-Mar-17 08:11:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bubbles1973 Thu 09-Mar-17 10:11:14

Wow, if that's true about the mum and her cheque book! You have to do what you have to do, obviously I am making no assumptions about your personal circumstances but if you receive an offer from WGS after you paid deposit for 2nd choice you have to decide what to do.

The only thing I would draw your attention to is the photo on WGS twitter page of this school years first day in year 7. I counted the girls (because I am that sad smile) and there were less than 70 when I know they aim for roughly 80 girls. I don't think they are particularly oversubscribed when it comes down to it...

As an aside one of the MHSG staff told me, on an open day,that they really do not know how many girls will actually turn up in September for school, until September. So in theory there might be those parents who pay and accept all offers and make their decisions later. That could feasibly open up a place for your daughter, it might be worth giving them a call nearer the time if you don't hear.

Wish you all the best, whatever you decide to do.

mollymoo12 Thu 09-Mar-17 13:26:46

Thank you. Yes I hope there will be movement. A mad year apparently with huge amounts of applicants to all schools.

wangxiaosara Fri 10-Mar-17 08:48:35

pay and accept all offers and make their decisions later. really??
In this way, they will be liable for the first term's fee for all the offers they have accepted.

wangxiaosara Fri 10-Mar-17 08:49:46

Unless they decline some of the offers before the summer term started.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: