Advanced search

Sending DS to UK Boarding school

(9 Posts)
firstboard Tue 07-Mar-17 08:41:50

Hello everyone,
Does anyone have experience in sending DC to UK Full Boarding school, while living overseas. In our case, we are in Switzerland and DS has a firm place in one good London school. He will be joining Year 9 in September.

I understand that since we have filed Non-Resident Brit status, DS will be treated as International student for Uni admissions and he has to pay International fees.
Would he be treated differently in University admissions as well? I looked at Oxford and it seems that places are based on Merit, not Nationality.
Is it same in other UK Universities?

I would also like to know the list of things that you need to do as overseas parents - Insurances? NHS registration, etc.
Thanks .

happygardening Tue 07-Mar-17 09:54:34

NHS registration should be organised by the school, many boarding schools also offer BUPA health insurance for non emergency stuff but it's not essential. You shouldn't need contents insurance the school.
Most schools will send you a list of what you need probably early summer.

firstboard Tue 07-Mar-17 11:09:59

Thanks HG for your reply.
Yes, I got response from school that they will send me a list of things to do.

RedHareWithBlondeHair Tue 07-Mar-17 11:11:46

If you're EEA then why would he be treated as an International student in terms of Uni?

firstboard Tue 07-Mar-17 11:15:55

RedHair - We are Brit Citizens and live in Swiss, still the rule of Uni admissions are that we need Passport + 3 years of residence in UK before date of starting Uni.
A child living in Boarding does not establish "Resident" status. One parent has to live 3 years in UK with him.
Its a rule that most of us don't pay attention to !!

LIZS Tue 07-Mar-17 11:22:55

If he attends a school in UK he would be treated same as a resident for the application process ie. via UCAS with a place conditional on A level or IB grades, but pay non resident fees.

The school will arrange for him to be registered with local gp/ health centre and police if necessary. You will need to arrange a guardian for exeats and emergency contact. The head of boarding should be able to provide you with necessary details and induction information.

RedHareWithBlondeHair Tue 07-Mar-17 14:05:38

EEA students and even EU students do not pay international fees.

Lohengrin Tue 07-Mar-17 16:34:07

University fee status is complicated, but under CURRENT regulations there is no difference between UK, EU and EEA students. Of course this is all up for grabs post BREXIT.

My guess is that there will be a lot of pressure on the government to maintain the status quo as Universities will not want to miss out on the pool of EU/EEA talent. If they start charging foreign student fees, more EU/EEA students will go to the US.

There have already been suggestions that some RG Unis are looking at opening EU campuses in the event that a hard BREXIT leads to the drawbridge being raised.

firstboard Sun 12-Mar-17 11:05:45

Lizs - As long as he is treated as UK student for admissions, I am fine.
I hope all top UK Universities have same rule.

Lohengrin and Red - We don't know about status of EEA and Swiss students after Brexit.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: