Talk

Advanced search

Hockerill homework/revision question

(21 Posts)
Tamla1 Sun 05-Mar-17 13:01:29

My daughter has been offered a boarding place at Hockerill. I'm slightly worried that I wouldn't be there to 'push' her with her homework. I think she'd only do the bare minimum if I wasn't there and I assume the staff don't have time to check over everyone's homework.

The boarding itself doesn't concern me but more things like revising for exams. I can't imagine her voluntarily revising when she could be sitting in the common room with friends!

Any Hockerill/boarding school parents have any advice?!

NotYoda Sun 05-Mar-17 13:15:30

Not a Boarding School parent, but my DH went to BS, and I have teens. It's recently occurred to me that my DH finds it hard to understand why one of mine doesn't apply himself to work at home, and it's because at BS everyone's doing 'prep' at the same time, so they all get on with it. Which actually potentially reassuring for you (if my theory is right).

NotYoda Sun 05-Mar-17 13:21:07

Also, I'd recommend laying off her with the homework. She needs to learn the consequences of not doing it/doing it well enough herself. The teachers will mark it.

SimplyNigella Sun 05-Mar-17 13:24:44

I went to boarding school and one of the pluses in my view is that you learn to be self motivated and take responsibility for yourself early on. Everyone had prep at the same time and it was supervised by older pupils to make sure that you were quiet and at your desk, I assume most schools have something similar.

If your child does the bare minimum then there will be consequences which I believe is a more effective way to learn that because your mother is breathing down your neck.

Tamla1 Sun 05-Mar-17 13:39:31

Thank you. Very useful. I know they'll all be doing it at the same time, but it's more the quality I was concerned with! I wonder if the teachers notice a difference between day students and boarders homework?!

Obviously it must all work itself out as Hockerill get such great results.

She's been offered a 70% scholarship to stay at her current private school and I assumed we wouldn't get Hockerill so just trying to get my head round accepting the
place!

SimplyNigella Sun 05-Mar-17 13:53:18

The quality of homework shouldn't relate to parental input.

Tamla1 Sun 05-Mar-17 14:01:21

I think you're misunderstanding me SimplyNigella! It's human nature that if kids can watch TV or sit on their phone instead of revising then most of them will! I just want to make sure that whereas at home there's normally a parent to make sure the necessary work is done (and done correctly!), that it is supervised at boarding school enough that their standards don't drop and exams are failed through lack of revision.

NotYoda Sun 05-Mar-17 14:06:59

Tamla

It's not up to the parent to ensure the correct quality of work is done

And at BS she won't have those other distractions.

Tamla1 Sun 05-Mar-17 14:33:09

But surely as a parent if your kid has a maths exam the next day you make sure they're revising and not watching tv?!

river1 Sun 05-Mar-17 14:45:08

Hi Tamla1,
Just wanted to say hi as my dd has been offered a day place for sept and we are on the cusp of making a decision too - it means a swift house move for us as we are too far away so a big deal. Dd also has a scholarship offer from current school - though they don't offer 70% which would help!!
We went back to have a look last week and were shown round by 2 v bubbly and happy yr7 boarders who were clearly having a whale of a time but also v focused on studies too.
As your dd is clearly capable I really think that she will adapt v quickly to doing homework/revision in an environment where others are working hard too, and so I really wouldn't worry if it's your preferred school.

Tamla1 Sun 05-Mar-17 14:53:18

Thanks River. Amazing you got a Day place! I went back yesterday too and met 2 yr 7 girls. Might speak to a teacher this week just to set my mind at rest before accepting the place. Maybe meet you one day if we're both there!

SimplyNigella Sun 05-Mar-17 17:22:16

Which is why boarding schools have organised prep times where there is no TV. Most schools have a very strong work ethos and the pupils want to work and do well so they learn to take responsibility and make the right decisions.

Tamla1 Sun 05-Mar-17 17:34:59

I know they have organisedctines for prep, I was thinking more of if there's a test for example which would require additional revision time.

SimplyNigella Sun 05-Mar-17 18:12:20

It's lovely that you're so concerned and want the best for your DC, but honestly I think you're overthinking this. You've said yourself that the school gets good results and they can't achieve this if their boarding pupils are messing around and not working outside of lessons. These schools know what they are doing and if you are seriously considering boarding then you need to be prepared to let go and to trust them and your child.

Tamla1 Sun 05-Mar-17 18:28:14

You're right! It's just a whole new world for us and I just want to make sure I make the right decision! Thanks for all your advice, it's very gratefully received!

SimplyNigella Sun 05-Mar-17 18:40:03

Does your DD want to board? IME that's the most important factor here, if she wants to go then it will work.

Tamla1 Sun 05-Mar-17 18:55:22

Yes she's desperate to go!!

SimplyNigella Sun 05-Mar-17 19:56:06

Fab! Generally I think those who suit boarding and thrive in that environment are the ones who want to be there.

hertsandessex Mon 06-Mar-17 14:41:46

Sent you a PM as have direct experience of this. In summary really not an issue.

Harveypuss Wed 08-Mar-17 13:18:43

I have two kids at Hockerill, both boarders.

They have organised prep time in the evenings in a classroom, supervised by a teacher. They are all doing it together, which means they are focused and learn to be organised. They are regularly assessed throughout the year with tests etc, so any problems soon become apparent.

My DD is nearing her GCSEs and revision will be done in prep, revision clubs, and in-house. However, once on study leave, they cannot revise in their boarding houses during the day and must use the school facilities.

I wouldn't worry about the prep/homework aspect. It quickly becomes habit and the kids soon realise the consequences of not getting their prep done. It is taken quite seriously.

As a parent, I love not being stressed about homework. The kids know what's expected of them and I leave them to it! grin.

I am very happy with the school and have no complaints at all.

hertsandessex Wed 08-Mar-17 13:37:49

Harveypuss - I agree with not being stressed about homework. I have experience of boarding and day and boarding is much easier in that respect.

As for not being able to revise in boarding houses during study leave probably not a big issue as GCSE study leave is now minimal and only starts half-way through the GCSE exam timetable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now