Advanced search

Child's proof of address?

(18 Posts)
blacksea2 Sat 04-Mar-17 14:29:25


we applied for a place at a local secondary, were recently told that we got the place, and accepted it. However, today we received a letter from the council that they need to perform a "spot check" on us, and they require the usual proofs of address (council tax/utility bills) plus a document with the address and the child's name on it. Specifically, they'd like to see our child benefit or child tax credit letter. As we receive neither child benefit nor tax credit, what kind of alternative documentation with the child's name could suffice? I don't think we have any documents like this. We do have all the normal proofs of address, but obviously those don't include the child name. All the documents have to be sent back by March 15. Any advice on how to deal with this request is appreciated.


BrieAndChilli Sat 04-Mar-17 14:30:51

Do you have any medical appointment letters/child's bank account/child's trust fund/ etc

Sirzy Sat 04-Mar-17 14:31:17

Do they not have a bank account?

Could you ask primary school to provide something?

Trb17 Sat 04-Mar-17 14:55:34

Perhaps a statement from the Child Trust Fund that children of that age would have?

Mehfruittea Sat 04-Mar-17 15:01:31

Our council wanted the child's medical card, dated as issued before the date in the letter they requested. We couldn't find the medical card, got a new one but practice refused to write a letter with date we had been registered from. I was nearly sick until DH found the original card!!

I'm sure if you have the original one it will be accepted.

PettsWoodParadise Sat 04-Mar-17 16:01:30

Our LA require a child benefit letter even if that letter says we don't get CB, the CB office are used to supplying such letters, perhaps not the best use of taxpayers money but our LA insist on consistency. We had to submit at time of CAF.

blacksea2 Sat 04-Mar-17 16:46:01

Thanks for the answers.

Our child is registered with a surgery, but never visited it, so I don't think they even have a proper medical card for her. We can log in to the Patient Access system with her ID, and can see the right address in their records, but the problem is, this would likely not be enough to prove this address was also her address back in October 2016, which is the timeframe the council is asking about.

We're also thinking if her primary can help, although it's not clear what kind of evidence, other than proof of her attending the school (which is something council should already know, as it was them who allocated this primary school for her), they can provide. She doesn't have a bank or a child trust account. We plan to give the council a ring on Monday to see what kind of "alternative documentation" they are referring to in their letter.

fairweathercyclist Sun 05-Mar-17 16:34:28

Your daughter will have received a voucher for a child trust fund and possibly a top-up at 7 too (not sure when they stopped). Who did you use it with?

I can't see why they're asking for stuff with the child's name on though. Surely proof of address and birth certificate showing that you are the parent is enough? Are they trying to imply that kids live away from their parents for years on end and then conveniently come back to get into a certain secondary school?

Where was she born - do you still have her red book? Does that have your current address on it? Screenshot of library account?

Crumbs1 Sun 05-Mar-17 16:40:55


ExplodedCloud Sun 05-Mar-17 17:53:16

Passport doesn't have your address on it.

ExplodedCloud Sun 05-Mar-17 17:55:15

The GP should have an NHS card for them though. Give the surgery a call?

blacksea2 Sun 05-Mar-17 18:03:10

She was born abroad and is not a British citizen. I too don't know why the council is asking for those details - I can certainly see why they want a proof of address from the parents, but I think I should not be under obligations to demonstrate that my child is living with me. If the council suspects otherwise, the burden should be on them to provide evidence of that.

In pragmatic terms, we'll try out the surgery/GP, and a local library next week.

Ta1kinPeace Sun 05-Mar-17 18:27:16

She was born abroad and is not a British citizen.
THat explains it.
Nowt to do with the school.
All to do with the Xenophobic Theresa May and her goons at the Home Office.

blacksea2 Sun 05-Mar-17 18:33:11

Ta1kinPeace - I don't think so. Other local families got the same letter, they just target areas near popular secondaries.

prh47bridge Sun 05-Mar-17 18:34:22

All to do with the Xenophobic Theresa May and her goons at the Home Office

Doubt it. Sounds far more like a routine check that a valid address has been used for secondary school application to me.

Ta1kinPeace Sun 05-Mar-17 18:39:35

You cannot tick the normal boxes so they are giving you a selection of hoops
but I do find the assumed cynicism of the authorities very wearing
(I was not born in the UK either BTW)

BigFatBollocks Sun 05-Mar-17 18:42:39

Phone them on Monday and and ask them. Job done.

SoupDragon Sun 05-Mar-17 18:45:55

Phone them on Monday and and ask them. Job done

You mean just like the OP herself said they were going to do?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: