Talk

Advanced search

Sydenham School-some insight sought

(5 Posts)
Tinagi Fri 03-Mar-17 13:53:26

l am seeking some help here, please.Any insight from parents with girls at Sydenham School-Forest Hill.
My daughter has been offered a place.It wasn't our first choice. l am interested to hear from any parents with girls in the school or have been through the school in recent time or know and can advice with regards the school.

sydenhamhiller Fri 03-Mar-17 19:53:48

Hi - I am a local parent - it's about a 25 minute walk from our house, about 10 minute walk from our primary (2 DD at primary, a DS in y8). As you can imagine, most girls at our school go on to Sydenham School. It is very popular, and increasingly well-regarded. I met a parent from Nunhead when I was going around a different school who asked me why I was even bothering looking at other schools when my DD was easily in the catchment for Sydenham. It is increasingly parents' first choice (there were some figures quoted at the last open day I went to). There is a new Head who took her previous school from special measures (or whatever the term is) to Good, and word on the street is she wants to take Sydenham from Good to Outstanding.

We really really liked it. It has recently had a massive re-build as you probably know, and it looks fabulous and the girls are justifiably proud of it. I liked the fact that there were quite a lot of staff my age or older (mid 40s!) who had been there for years, as I think staff retention tells you a lot about any kind of organisation.

Lots of my friends have daughters there (y7-11), and they are all very happy with it, and their girls are happy too.

Hope that helps a bit? How is your DD feeling about it? I hear they have very good induction days... grin)

SoulAccount Fri 03-Mar-17 20:22:05

I know a few families with girls there and they love it and do very well there.

elektrawoman Sat 04-Mar-17 00:08:58

Hi my DD has been offered a place at Sydenham, as have most of the girls in her class, and I know that lots of us put it as first choice. I looked around lots of schools but there seemed little point in choosing a school further away when we have such a good school on our doorstep. (We are about a 20 minute walk, or quicker on the bus). Everyone I have spoken to whose girls go there are very happy with it.

Tinagi Wed 15-Mar-17 09:22:13

Hi Ladies and thank you for the response.
Well DD wasn't thrilled as she had set her heart on another school where she thinks all he friends will attend.She is a lot more settled now.we don't live far from the school.Yes,word on the street and from other parents has been positive and that assurance has gone some way.The girls do seem happy from the last open day l attended and the school is growing and positive change seem like the way forward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now