Talk

Advanced search

When do 2018 boarding school offers/ rejections come in?

(10 Posts)
photofanatic Tue 28-Feb-17 12:30:27

Hello MN,
We have applied to 4/ 5 public boarding schools for our DS in September 2018 (Year 9) and have only heard back from one school so far... we applied with good time for most of these and were wondering how much longer we might have to wait? Does it help to call up the schools? Anyone else waiting for news for Sept 2018? hmm

FutureBoardingParent Tue 28-Feb-17 14:14:50

That's a bit confusing - which schools are you talking about? Typically, the schools one would think of as public boarding schools admit via Common Entrance (with pretests in some cases) and it kind of doesn't make sense to be, properly speaking, applying for four or five, though you might of course visit and consider that many. Moreover they expect to admit from prep schools who normally understand the process and help parents through it. If you're not in a prep school, possibly you're not using the system the way they expect it to be used, and perhaps that's the problem.

Whatever the situation, ringing the school to ask about the situation is surely the right thing to do.

photofanatic Tue 28-Feb-17 14:43:26

Thank you for your feedback... we are well advised at a prep school but have ended up applying to several boarding schools as we are not yet sure where we will be living in September 2018 and our DS's grades are difficult to predict. We may be outside the UK which means the more weekly boarding schools wouldn't work, etc. Schools are Teddies, Charterhouse, King's Canterbury, Ampleforth, and Marlborough.

JamDonutsRule Tue 28-Feb-17 15:36:57

Confusing! I think just contact the schools and ask how everything is proceeding?

JamDonutsRule Tue 28-Feb-17 15:39:08

Oh, as you're applying from abroad does that mean you're not using Common Entrance?

The title of your post is confusing - there would be no acceptance or rejection until your son has taken a test such as the CE pre test or just CE!

ImSoPretty Tue 28-Feb-17 15:44:00

Surely the schools you applied to would have told you the dates results are coming out. I'm also puzzled you seem to think they're all come out on the same day - each school has its own results day, just phone them one by one and ask what date the results sent out.

photofanatic Tue 28-Feb-17 16:19:14

Right, I thought schools sent their offers out around the same time! Thank you for clearing that up for me. Schools do make their offers before CE though, so you can apply to more than one school but only accept ONE place (so you only sit CE for one school at the end of the day, where you are expected to get in). I will call the schools up then... Thank you!

FutureBoardingParent Tue 28-Feb-17 17:29:15

Charterhouse, for example, admits by pretest in year 6 (you say you are in a prep so you'd be in that standard process) so if you were going to get an offer from them you'd have had it long ago. Similarly each school will have its process. If for some good reason you haven't followed the standard process there may be the off ad hoc place, but precisely because you're then in a non-standard situation, there won't be a results day. But your prep should be handling this for you.

FutureBoardingParent Tue 28-Feb-17 17:29:48

odd, not off

photofanatic Tue 28-Feb-17 17:57:30

Ok, this makes sense. We applied late to Charterhouse and Teddies so will be hearing from them when we hear from them. The other schools we did in time so I will call them to follow up. Thank you and good luck as a future boarding parent!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now