Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Epsom College vs City of London Freemen School

(12 Posts)
NJKsw15 Fri 24-Feb-17 19:21:00

I was hoping for some ideas on how these two schools compare - my DD is currently in Yr5 at Putney High school and is not doing wel with the stress/ pressure - she is academically bright but has had her self esteem crushed in the last 6 months (she moved there from the local comp 18 months ago). She could stay there but I am very concerned over the self harm/eating disorders which are in the senior school. She likes making things from wood work to food tech... (neither of which are done at PHS)
I thought that maybe Epsom College might be good - and she could take the bus (but its an hour each way) or we could move to Epsom but then I have to find a school for my DS who is 7 and very bright though easily distracted and is at prep school and happy.. so this is why I was looking at City of London Freemen School as they seem to take children from year 3 (7/8 years old)..
please can anyone give me their thoughts on these schools especially if they have children there/ taught there etc.

PatriciaHolm Fri 24-Feb-17 20:51:41

Putney to Epsom would be considerably more than an hour in the mornings I would think!

Both are good schools, a friend teaches sport at EC and is very impressed with the girls (she teaches the girls team for her sport primarily).

lifeisaconundrumattimes Fri 24-Feb-17 20:56:34

Both are good and would fit the bill quite nicely.

I'd personally go for CLFS because it's all through to 18 so generally that is a less pressured environment. However they also get good results from everyone so a bright DS should do well there, meaning both your children can be at the same place.

That said, EC is a wonderful school and sounds like it would suit your daughter well.

If you could move down that way there are plenty of good prep schools that could cater for your DS.

I wouldn't consider journeying to either every day from Putney.

Are there any other more local schools you could consider? Perhaps Surbiton High?

user1486321186 Fri 24-Feb-17 20:57:20

I have a child at CLFS. They start there at 7 (year 3). Main intakes are 7+ 11+ it seems (we joined at 7+ so my knowledge of later entrances is patchy) I'm thrilled with it. But it's not a school for overly delicate children in my view. They expect them to be very independent from 7 but my child rose to the challenge very quickly. It took me longer to realise I wasn't going to be as hand held any longer, but that was my issue not theirs. We are still in the junior school so can't speak for the seniors but we all love it. It fits our child perfectly.

Bansteadmum Fri 24-Feb-17 20:58:11

Epsom college is much more of a traditional boarding school etc, freemens more of a day school. Freemens much cheaper. And as you mention takes DC from 7+ though if you've missed that entry point it could be quite competitive as they don't take many then until 11.

Academically freemens gets better results I think.

I have come across a number of freemenr seniors who seem normal, kind (eg good with the younger pupils) not unduly stressed out etc.

Bansteadmum Fri 24-Feb-17 21:00:25

Agree with PP that putney to either school isn't an hour and not easily do-able.

NJKsw15 Fri 24-Feb-17 21:48:34

Gosh thank you everyone for your comments - there is a school bus for EC but I think that a commute for that long for an 11 year old is going to be too much. It seems to be so hard to find a school that will just teach my children and allow them to be normal! i.e. not feel a failure at getting 80%.
I went to a GDST myself - and unfortunately think that they are all pretty much cut from the same cloth. It is interesting that the value added for Wimbledon high is -0.04 ( I am not sure what that means but EC is 0.41 and CLFS is 0.05) and I am sure that a positive is better on that front! I think that I will have to look closer to Putney - possibly at Kingston Grammar School but thank you everyone for all your help

Avebury Sat 25-Feb-17 09:55:44

What about IPS?

Mary21 Sat 25-Feb-17 12:05:27

What about Emmanuel, Thames Christian College, Kew House.
I think St Johns leather head also has a Putney bus but still a long day

BizzyFizzy Sat 25-Feb-17 15:33:49

I used to teach at Epsom College.

It is a very full-on boarding school, whether full/weekly/day boarding. If you want her to go there, have her board. Don't commute!

It's a fantastic school.

Dub2007 Wed 08-Nov-17 07:31:58

Hi all, can u advise me on these two schools in surrey? Im considering either Reigate Grammer school or Freemans for my son year 9. He is an academic kid. I appreciate if u could share your expereince.

jeanne16 Wed 08-Nov-17 08:25:25

This may not be an issue for you but I think the fees of Epsom College are far too high and i can't imagine how the school justifies them.

I would second looking at schools closer to where you live. You could try Emanuel, Queens Gate , Francis Holland or More House.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now