Talk

Advanced search

West Kent - Grammar or Private?!

(7 Posts)
plantationqueen Fri 24-Feb-17 12:11:33

Hi all,

I find myself in the lucky position of having both a highly ranked west Kent Grammar (Judd) and a green light from Tonbridge School to choose between for my current year 6 son (currently in a boys' prep school). The reality of having to make a decision between this two options will crystallise next week, and I find myself stymied with indecision on which option is best for us as a family and for my son. I am trying not to be influenced by the obvious financial benefits of plumping for a grammar school. I was wondering if any other parents had been in this situation, and if so, what option they went for and why?

Floralnomad Fri 24-Feb-17 12:15:37

My DS went from private to grammar in Kent and it worked well for us , what does your son want to do ?

plantationqueen Fri 24-Feb-17 12:17:07

He doesn't really know tbh - a lot of his friends are going to the grammars, but he changes his mind daily unfortunately!

plantationqueen Fri 24-Feb-17 12:25:00

Floral - could I ask if your son found the change in class size and environment overwhelming?

Floralnomad Fri 24-Feb-17 12:25:54

The way we looked at it , this was many years ago DS is 24 , was that if he started at the grammar and didn't get on / like it we could always find him a private option whereas you couldn't guarantee a move in the opposite direction .

Floralnomad Fri 24-Feb-17 12:27:55

No I don't think he did because on the whole the classroom is still very well behaved , I think the problem would be moving from private to normal secondary where you can't guarantee the behaviour so much .

plantationqueen Fri 24-Feb-17 12:34:55

Thank you - goodness - I wish I could be more decisive!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now