Talk

Advanced search

Surbiton high vs nonsuch

(19 Posts)
Sallyknowsnot Thu 23-Feb-17 13:32:08

Hi, looking for advice please.. my dd has been offered a scholarship at surbiton high school. We are waiting for results next Wednesday on national offers day and hopefully she should be offered nonsuch too as passed with a decent score. We are very torn as love both schools. Both equidistant and very convenient.
Love the feel of both and due to scholarship now, SHS very affordable.
Please help! Which would you go for?

gazzalw Thu 23-Feb-17 14:16:46

Nonsuch but then I'm firm believer in state education, particularly the Sutton grammars!

I would think where you live and your DD's preference (and issues about school journey time) would come into play?

Sallyknowsnot Thu 23-Feb-17 14:37:12

Thanks so much for your reply gazzalw. We live approx 15 mins drive between both schools. Of course SHS comes with all the frills etc but nonsuch ticks all the boxes too
Just worry we might make the wrong decision and regret it

gazzalw Thu 23-Feb-17 17:35:17

Great that you are well positioned for both but that probably doesn't help with decison-making!

I'm a firm believer that you can't make the wrong decision - what is your gut feeling?

I know some of the grammar schools will let you look round again after Offers Day if you phone to make an appointment (well the boys' ones used to!) Worth trying if your DD is offered Nonsuch? I think seeing a school properly in action (rather than at a heavingly busy open day event) will give you different insights and hopefully will help you make your minds up.

jeanne16 Thu 23-Feb-17 17:55:11

We paid for private schools for my DCs but I certainly wouldn't have if we had had an offer from a school such as Nonsuch. You may as well take the place and use the saved money for lots of extras.

Abetes Thu 23-Feb-17 18:42:42

Take the state option. The Sutton grammars are great - you can't go wrong.

Sallyknowsnot Thu 23-Feb-17 19:36:04

Thanks so much for your responses all. Really appreciated. And such good advice. Brilliant idea to ask for another tour of nonsuch. Many thanks

Stitchfusion Thu 23-Feb-17 19:40:33

The frills are worth paying for, let alone getting for free.
Nonsuch isnt all its cracked up to be

millyT Thu 23-Feb-17 20:28:15

My daughter is in year 7 at Nonsuch and loves it. There are so many opportunities for the girls, the school has exceeded our expectations in every way. I think my concern with private schools would be whether it can it be afforded for the whole duration of high school? Plus there are the extras of uniform/trips etc. Good luck with your decision

JoJoSM2 Thu 23-Feb-17 23:49:19

I'd go with Nonsuch as it's more academic and doesn't cost a penny. There is a lot of stuff you could do for your daughter with the saved money.

OhTheRoses Sun 26-Feb-17 10:12:10

What's the head teacher issue like at Nonsuch. The leadership has been turbulent in recent years and this always has an impact on morale, ethos and staff engagement. We had a quick look when DD moved for 6th form and got such a negative vibe we walked out. I'd be diligent in taking soundings where possible.

Sallyknowsnot Sun 26-Feb-17 12:51:17

I've heard very similar too regarding turnover of head. Not great.. think new head is from Tiffin girls
Btw millyT you mentioned your daughter is at nonsuch, would you mind me asking what the cut off score was last year on national offers day? We are in catchment
Thank you so so much x

Loconuts Mon 27-Feb-17 13:06:23

I read somewhere that cut offs last year for Nonsuch were around 315 OOC and 273 IC. Not sure if they were the inital cut offs or final ones.
Hope that helps. Good luck

Sallyknowsnot Mon 27-Feb-17 13:40:50

Thank you very much!! Definitely helps xx

millyT Tue 28-Feb-17 06:37:21

Not sure of exact score for offers, didn't get any info sent out on that, I think 300 and over was fine for in catchment though, going on what my daughter and her friends got. They give you scores for exam but offer scores vary on the amount of girls applying for places.

Loconuts Thu 02-Mar-17 23:33:05

Sallyknows how did allocation day go for you? Have you made a decision for your dd?

Sallyknowsnot Sat 04-Mar-17 13:26:18

We got nonsuch and have accepted! Big relief x

Loconuts Sat 04-Mar-17 13:44:42

That's good, congratulations. My dd is off to Nonsuch too x

Sallyknowsnot Sat 04-Mar-17 15:41:37

Oh brilliant! Many congrats. Hopefully they can be friends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now