Talk

Advanced search

QE vs WUS

(18 Posts)
GoldglowTwinkleflower Tue 21-Feb-17 14:34:18

We have offers from both. Can you please let us know which is a better option for my son? Specifically in terms of maths, science, design and technology - which school can give him even the slightest advantage over the other. Please assume for this discussions sake, our Affordability and Distance to school not be considered.

Michaelahpurple Tue 21-Feb-17 16:27:20

Sorry - being daft - QE??

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Tue 21-Feb-17 16:28:34

WUS?

DanGleballs Tue 21-Feb-17 17:41:02

QE boys?

MumTryingHerBest Tue 21-Feb-17 17:43:30

DanGleballs Tue 21-Feb-17 17:41:02 QE boys?

QE Boys is a state school and offers have not been sent out yet for this year. OP states they have an offer already so must be private.

GoldglowTwinkleflower Tue 21-Feb-17 17:56:30

Yes, that's a state school - offers are not out, But he does have a top score, So expecting a definite offer from them. WUS is Westminster Under School.

Lohengrin Tue 21-Feb-17 18:00:21

Queen Elizabeth's Barnet (State grammar) Westminster Under School (Private, fee paying, feeds to Westminster School.)
So I think the real questions are
What, if anything, is the added value from an education at Westminster?
Does it outweigh the disadvantages of being educated in a socially elite bubble?
Is it worth £150,000?

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Tue 21-Feb-17 19:07:58

You do realise that MN is pretty global, not just London centric.

peteneras Tue 21-Feb-17 19:09:14

You are not comparing like with like. WUS is a prep school preparing boys to 13 years of age whilst QEB goes all the way to A-Level although there's culling at GCSE level. It's misleading to say you have offers from both schools while you still haven't had confirmation from QEB. On a personal level, in his days DS had confirmed offers from both QEB and a similar private school like Westminster (not WUS) and I wasted no time opting for the latter. The sciences and maths taught at premier UK private schools are second to none, if that's what you are asking. And of course, the other extra curricular activities and facilities in these (premier) private schools are in many cases, out of this world! If money's no objection, I'd opt for the premier UK independents without hesitation.

ElevenPlus001 Tue 21-Feb-17 19:35:49

Agree with Peteneras. If I was in your shoes, I will chose WUS unless you worry about the coming CE exam for Great school in two years time.

GoldglowTwinkleflower Tue 21-Feb-17 19:56:41

@Lohengrin , yes, that's a better way of putting my question. Thanks.

GoldglowTwinkleflower Tue 21-Feb-17 20:01:38

Thanks @peteneras for sharing your experience.

Lohengrin Tue 21-Feb-17 20:14:34

Well, my view is that he will get an outstanding education at Westminster. He will also get an outstanding education at QEB. And he is just as likely to go on to Oxbridge etc from QEB. Once at University, it will make no difference where he went to school.
Westminster offers more frills, and you will probably get a more luxurious experience. But £150,000 plus goes a long way in the frills department - and if he went to QEB you could choose how to spend that yourself.
So basically boils down to how much cash you have floating around and how much you value the little added extras. What does your DS want?

Tissunnyupnorth Tue 21-Feb-17 21:00:23

Actually I'm not sure. My son is in year 9 at QE. The extra curricular activities are outstanding, the list of clubs, sports, trips and educational enrichment activities are way beyond anything I have experienced at a state school and I have taught at several.

FanDabbyFloozy Tue 21-Feb-17 22:59:40

Which school is closer? Is there an easier commute to either?

Doe QEB, do you sign up to their distinctive ethos - A levels chosen for you (or as close as makes no difference) and the A level cull?

No-one ever expects their child to be one of the quarter who is encouraged to leave but all these boys are smart..

Michaelahpurple Wed 22-Feb-17 20:22:41

A bit more comparable than it might appear 11+ gives a conditional place to great school and it is unheard of for 11+ boys not to manage CE. I suspect you will struggle to find many members who have good knowledge of those two schools though, I am afraid - rather given away in my case by only recognising WUS!

DanGleballs Thu 23-Feb-17 12:01:03

QEB is a very good school, the results are outstanding. My knowledge of it is outdated though. A previous headmaster held very misogynistic views which were freely shared with the boys. He isn't there anymore, thank goodness.

Trumpdespiser Thu 23-Feb-17 12:09:22

You say disregard money and commute, so I would put it down to which one your ds prefers. Personally I would set huge store by the first two factors, if it's easily affordable and closer WUS is a no-brainer, if it's not so easy and closer QEB every time. He will do very well at both schools.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now