Talk

Advanced search

More a what would you do? - Dramatic change in predicted grades.

(8 Posts)
thunderbuddy Mon 20-Feb-17 19:08:09

When dc1 started in year 9 at her new school in September (it starts at year 9) . The new school assesses on a constant basis.

In year 8 they were working at a level predicted C
In October of year 9 they were working at a High C/Low B
In December of year 9 they were working at a D level
Just got report and now at a predicted E level

Dc1 is very good in school, no behavioural issues have even been raised.
Dc1 has reported that the teacher is spending a lot of the lesson crowd controlling or giving them lectures. The teacher has had some personal problems this year and is probably stressed to the hilt but is absolutely lovely but being lovely doesn't get GCSES.

Dc1 other Maths teacher also teaches elsewhere and is regular missing with a German or history teacher in place.

I am really stressed about this now, to go from a B to an E is a huge drop and I would have hoped it would have rang alarm bells but no just sent home on a report in the post.

Help!

thunderbuddy Mon 20-Feb-17 19:10:02

Sorry that first paragraph is rubbish, I lost my train of thought, hopefully it makes sense!

HarrietSchulenberg Mon 20-Feb-17 19:29:03

Why are they still using letter grades? The new GCSE grades are from 1-9 so C, D, E etc are all irrelevant.

thunderbuddy Mon 20-Feb-17 19:33:33

They are using both. In the new grades she's gone from a 5 to a 3 to a 2.

HarrietSchulenberg Mon 20-Feb-17 19:37:49

Probably continuously reassessing basing on what teachers are learning from the as yet untested new GCSE grading system.
It is worrying, I agree. Perhaps a conversation with Head of Year might be in order.

elephantoverthehill Mon 20-Feb-17 19:49:46

Predicted and working at grades are different things.

Draylon Mon 20-Feb-17 20:01:17

Are you in a 3 tier area?

thunderbuddy Mon 20-Feb-17 20:11:41

We moved areas, her current school goes from year 9 to sixth form.
She has two targets, a target they think she can achieve and what she will actually achieve if she carries on working at the level she currently is.

It is the second target that has dropped from a C to a 5 to a 3 to a 2.
So basically if she keeps working at the level she currently is then she will achieve a level 2 or E in her exams.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now