Talk

Advanced search

DD admitted to SPGS need more information

(17 Posts)
kentmum11 Sun 19-Feb-17 20:24:23

Hi, my DD got in SPGS but we don't know any parents with girls there currently. Anyone happy to chat about their experience. Need to decided between a couple of schools and would love to hear some first hand experiences.

S999 Mon 20-Feb-17 09:16:03

We have accepted a place at SPGS for Sept. From what I gather, it isn't as scary as it's made out to be but would also love some first-hand information please!
Thanks!

Nanglo789 Mon 20-Feb-17 14:16:35

We too have accepted a place for September, after careful consideration & talking to the deputy head, i am confidient my DD will thrive there. Congrats kentmum11 and S999

highclere Mon 20-Feb-17 16:00:57

We will be accepting our offer too, haven't had chance what with being away over the half term. It is quite a leap of faith as everywhere else offered scholarships so the difference in fees is large, but our daughter has had her heart set on it for some time so here goes!

Crocus99 Mon 20-Feb-17 18:24:28

I have a DD at Spgs. She loves it and it isn't at all scary.

MrsEricBana Mon 20-Feb-17 18:26:09

I went to SPGS. Life changingly fantastic. I'd go for it.

highclere Mon 20-Feb-17 18:39:06

Thank you both!

S999 Mon 20-Feb-17 20:05:47

Thank you! Quite excited - same highclere, we have a few scholarships too but DD has her heart set on SPGS.

brightenheart Tue 21-Feb-17 10:09:57

DD1 is year7 at SPGS (from state pirmary).
We also had sets of scholarships from other schools but dd1 set her heart on SPGS and now she loves it.

What I can tell from dd1's experience,
- no official uniform but girls wear 'sports' uniform nearly everyday. So no need to worry about clothing.
- enjoy freedom(no need for strict detention rules) and learn self-organizing skill
- excellent teaching, homework is interesting
- excellent approach to modern language
- lots of clubs and activities, very encouraging
- girls respect each other without prejudice
and so on....

Once you accept the offer, just relax and enjoy the rest of primary times.
DD2 got offer and accepted as well.

cdstandingnow Tue 21-Feb-17 21:14:19

It is a school that suits some girls very well but not all. It does have a very thorough admission process though which is effective at choosing girls who will thrive there. Of course there are occasionally exceptions with heavily tutored girls who squeeze through and end up having a miserable time there but on the whole majority of offer holders are rightly placed. One of the most over subscribed schools in London. Every year dozens of girls who do very well in the assessments still get turned down, comes down to luck. If you're fortunate enough to be offered I wouldn't hesitate to accept. Congrats to your daughters!

Nanglo789 Wed 22-Feb-17 09:40:26

@brightenheart, Congratulations to your DD & thank you for sharing your DDs's experience. We have accepted the offer too. I hope the homework isn't too much. What clubs does your DD do, my DD is very excited about the various clubs they have. We are are from state primary so littel nervous smile

Is it Latin & French in year 7?

brightenheart Wed 22-Feb-17 10:56:57

Hi Nanglo789 !
Congrats to your dd too.
Once she joins the school, there will be club fairs and lots of chance to explore. My girl does Creative writing, drama club and more (not sure all the list because she chose all by herself).
What I can confidently tell is most of thing will be done by girls from very early stage(well trained at school) so there is very little need for parental involvement. I think their homework is interesting/creative but not heavily burdened.
Regarding Latin and foreign languages, do not worry. My dd never learned Latin from primary. But after one term, girls from state school also catch up with others from prep. There is ‘Discovering Language’ course for MIV and I think this is brill~, girls can explore before chosing their own.

spgs.org/academic/departments/modern-languages/

I understand the possible concern from state school parents so if you have any, let me know. I (+dd) will try to answer.

All the concerns will be treated during Tea day in June so you can relax for now.

SWBelle Wed 22-Feb-17 20:47:38

Wondering if anyone knows if SPGS ever offer from the waitlist?

Nanglo789 Thu 23-Feb-17 09:02:45

Hi Swbelle,

I am no sure if they offer from waitilist but i know at least one girl who is going to turn down SPGS. Come 1st March, more girls will take grammar offers and drop SPGS. All the best !

kentmum11 Fri 24-Feb-17 09:13:44

Has anyone decided on accepting because of it being a single sex school? Did you think that was an advantage ?

Nanglo789 Fri 24-Feb-17 10:04:54

Yes we have accepted the offer & being single sex has it's own advantages & Disadvantages. Sadly lots of top Independent & Grammar schools are single sex. Last night asked DD how she felt about going to a single sex school & she said it's going to be boring, even though few months ago she wanted to go to a single sex school - they have moments.

I went to a single sex school to a single sex school for 11 years!!!

S999 Fri 24-Feb-17 10:48:49

I'm so surprised they haven't even cashed the deposit cheque, I have it in ages ago or do they wait until the deadline?
My DD is desperate to go to a single sex school but I have to say, she has been to both girls and co-ed and even she has to admit, the girls at co-ed are much more manageable! However, we prefer single sex as she gets older and we didn't try for any co-eds, again on her insistence!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now