Talk

Advanced search

Art GCSE - Could a child do it if they can't draw?

(22 Posts)
JamDonutsRule Thu 16-Feb-17 22:26:42

Sounds like a stupid question, but if a DC was very creative and could produce good photographs, sculpture, collage, computer art / photoshop and infographics, would this allow them to take art GCSE if they were unable to draw? As in, drawing was bad enough that it still looked like that of a small child?

Or is it impossible to get around a lack of drawing ability due to the syllabus?

RandomMess Thu 16-Feb-17 22:35:27

I have no idea but I assumed they could use a choice of mediums? Some of it is written work anyway - or isn't it in these days?

I know at A level one of my friends did lace making...

Waterfeature Fri 17-Feb-17 00:33:15

Possibly. A lot of it involves preparatory work, though -- my dd has several sketchbooks full of, well, sketches. It is a lot of work. Speak to the art teacher!

FellOutOfBed2wice Fri 17-Feb-17 00:35:51

I did GCSE and AS/A level history with very little natural drawing ability. I was taught to draw and became passable but it's not my greatest skill. Got an A* at GCSE and B at A Level though. I was a very good painter and sculpter.

user1484226561 Fri 17-Feb-17 08:14:09

depends how much you care about the grade. I would assume that if you learn art, you will learn how to draw, so lots of learning but not necessarily a good grade at the end of it.

But then, since when has education been about learning? sad

BertrandRussell Fri 17-Feb-17 08:20:13

I would think so. But Art GCSE is a huge amount of work. Really, really huge.........

It's 5 years since dd did it, and I am still scarred. So is my living room floor, but that's another story.

cece Fri 17-Feb-17 08:22:44

My DD is currently in the throws of her final project for GCSE Art. She used to love Art - it was her favourite subject. Not anymore! It really has been incredibly hard work and not what she thought it would be like at all.

Freddorika Fri 17-Feb-17 08:25:30

Dd1 probably spent more time on her art gcse than all the other subjects put together!

TheresABluebirdOnMyShoulder Fri 17-Feb-17 08:30:10

As PPs have said, it is a lot of work. I remember spending hours and hours in the art studio after school and on Saturdays. They are some of my best school memories. There was also a lot of sketching involved in the prep work. It's not enough to produce an amazing final piece, you have to have the planning in place to back it up to achieve decent grades and that does involve a lot of sketching.

Freddorika Fri 17-Feb-17 08:33:09

Dd couldn't have got an A if she couldn't draw at all. If you don't mind getting a C in it and at least trying to sketch ideas then go for it.

Iamastonished Fri 17-Feb-17 08:37:56

I think it depends on the syllabus. DD had to do a lot of drawing and painting. No sculpture and hardly any photography. It was with AQA. She did it in a year and got an A.
Is photography not an option?

Madhairday Fri 17-Feb-17 08:39:23

DD is doing GCSE art and it has been a complete pain. So much work - more than all other subjects hmm it's been very stressful. She loved art before and now she's fed up.

She's not amazing at drawing but has got a lot better because they learn all the techniques. I think her material looks fabulous but it's only really at b/c level.

She wishes she'd chosen something else.

Purplebluebird Fri 17-Feb-17 08:44:23

I did art too, it's a lot of work. I did however improve my (perfectly average) drawing a lot through doing it!

MirabelleTree Fri 17-Feb-17 08:46:04

I know a couple of DC who were put off art after GCSE and only just getting back into it at end of year 13. Does the school offer photography or graphic design and if so would they consider that ?

Lack of art A GCSE doesn't stop you from doing the Art foundation later if they do a creative subject at 6th form. DD has photography GCSE , BTEC photography and will do the foundation Art in September. I'm worried about the drawing aspect but apparently it will be fine, allegedly.

BirdsongTweets Fri 17-Feb-17 14:20:30

DS an art scholar hmm, currently preparing for gcse art naturally, now hates art. It's been a real slog putting his portfolio I get her and it's still not completed. Seems to have lost all passion for the subject.

BirdsongTweets Fri 17-Feb-17 14:21:17

Portfolio 'together'

fairweathercyclist Fri 17-Feb-17 14:31:07

At my son's school you can do photography - would that be an option?

raspberryrippleicecream Fri 17-Feb-17 21:27:28

DD did Photography, it is still Art, very little taking of photos and lots of doing things with them.

As PP said it's a LOT of work. Double at least what you are thinking of when we all say a lot.

Also not advisable if you have a DC like my DD who isn't able to stop and say ok, enough.

Tigerblue Sat 18-Feb-17 10:56:06

As said before, check with the school about the syllabus - also, if they offer any other art courses. Also, the school should be able to show your DC some portfolios, examples of work.

bojorojo Sun 19-Feb-17 00:02:04

My DD did GCSE Art and it wasn't that much work! You have to do it well but some people work quicker than others. DD went on to do A level Art and A level Photography and several portfolios for university interviews. All at the same time. She just got on with it! She is not brilliant at drawing but perfected what she needed to do. She got an A for Art and and A* for Photography. I think if she had been a better at fine art, the A for Art would have been an A*. The difference was that she is not a talented "artist" in the traditional sense.

JamDonutsRule Tue 21-Feb-17 13:57:47

I think after reading your responses, Art GCSE sounds like it might be a real struggle as the workload is also so high and for a DC who can't draw I imagine it's even worse! Thanks everyone.

MyWhatICallNameChange Tue 21-Feb-17 14:08:26

At my DCs school they do two different art GCSEs - design skills and fine art. Design skills involves photography, textiles and sculpture etc, and fine art is more painting and sketching. I don't know if your DCs school offer the same?

I can't draw. I did art GCSE (it was my last choice and there was nothing else I wanted to do.) I got an F.

I have heard it's a hell of a lot of work - the exam alone is 2 days!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now