Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cedars school croydon

(9 Posts)
Positivelyinclined2017 Thu 16-Feb-17 19:56:48

I am thinking of sending my DS to Cedars in croydon. Please can anyone share their experiences positive or negative. Choosing the right secondary school is so important and I feel like I need some guidance . My DS is a little above average academically and is very sporty . Loves art and does very well in drama too. He needs a push when it comes to being social but has many friends and is on the younger side of the class as he's end of August born. I hear cedars is very small and very focused on the child. But is it really everything I hear it is?

Whatsshe0nsboutnow Thu 16-Feb-17 20:19:19

OP - All I can say to you is that there were 2 threads on here (I think it was last year) - a short one about The Cedars and a longer one about its sister school The Laurels. Both were very bizarre reading. Practically gushing in praise, in peculiar language that sounded as if it was all a promotional exercise or mission to recruit. Various posters claiming to be parents at the school yet all strangely writing in the same tone, as if in some kind of fervour. As I said very odd indeed. I think one of the posters asked for the thread to be removed in the end because certain posters were challenged about being genuine.

I would go and visit and talk to parents and teachers first hand, if you haven't already done so. It may well be a lovely school, despite all this?

Whatsshe0nsboutnow Thu 16-Feb-17 21:04:58

If you look on Advanced Search under "Opinions of the Laurels School in Croydon Please" it's still there.

Positivelyinclined2017 Thu 16-Feb-17 21:18:52

Excellent whatssheonaboutnow. Thanks. Much appreciated.

woodlysmum Thu 16-Feb-17 22:37:54

The Cedars one is still there as I read it last week. I think it was the same one as I found it quite freaky. It kept referring to Opus Dei and made it sound like a cult.
ps I am Catholic but did find it odd

Waterfeature Fri 17-Feb-17 00:31:13

I've got a daughter at The Laurels and we're very happy with it. It's an exceptional school. I don't know much about The Cedars. It's too far away for us to send our son or we'd be looking.

I'm a real, genuine poster btw grin

Positivelyinclined2017 Fri 17-Feb-17 14:01:28

Thanks woodlysmum and waterfeature - I've seen the cedars thread but it's years old so wanted to hear from recent parents if that makes sense. Sometimes new brooms sweep clean. Also I heard that the head of English at cedars is leaving. Finding the right secondary school is so difficult in croydon.good state schools are virtually non existent and the ones that are good are fully subscribed.

CSLewis Tue 21-Feb-17 22:29:27

There are some more recent updates on the thread '*The Cedars School, Croydon*' (you can find it on Advanced Search). I was also pleased to see it crop up on the 'SWLondon Boys Schools 10+/11+ etc etc' thread, alongside Trinity and Whitgift.

Disclaimer: I have two daughters at The Laurels, they (and we) love it for features that The Cedars also has: unparalleled individualised pastoral care, coupled with academic and sporting rigour. I have a son in Year 5, and I'd love to be able to send him there.

Positivelyinclined2017 Fri 24-Feb-17 07:42:56

Thanks CSLewis .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now