Talk

Advanced search

No room in classroom for student

(17 Posts)
Fedupagain1975 Thu 16-Feb-17 18:03:26

My child goes to an independent school run by an educational charity. Great school, growing and keen to increase their numbers. During this term a new child has started, and my child just told me for one of the lessons, which they have twice a week, there is not enough desks for the new students, so they have to sit on the floor! My child is in Yr 9, surely the school are not able to do this?

MommieMommyMom Thu 16-Feb-17 18:04:16

This is CRAZY....

Fedupagain1975 Thu 16-Feb-17 18:05:26

Ok, so not just me then? I am so shocked! Really feel like complaining, even though it is not my own child!

user1484226561 Thu 16-Feb-17 18:05:35

sounds quite normal to me, we frequently don't have enough chairs and tables for students.

Fedupagain1975 Thu 16-Feb-17 18:06:22

In a independent school? We pay a lot of money!

user1484226561 Thu 16-Feb-17 18:06:44

A lot of new schools have been built in the last decade, and since the sweeping education cuts, we find that a lot of the new classrooms are too small for the increased class sizes we now have.

piss poor planning, and millions wasted, but pretty par for the course.

OneWithTheForce Thu 16-Feb-17 18:07:21

Could they ask parents to donate a chair? I'd happily give up a dinner chair for a classroom.

Fedupagain1975 Thu 16-Feb-17 18:12:25

I might turn up with mine of Monday!!

Lunde Thu 16-Feb-17 18:13:20

Is there no room physically to fit extra tables/chairs? Or is there room but not enough furniture?

If not enough furniture surely they should be using some of the fees to rectify this?

Fedupagain1975 Thu 16-Feb-17 18:21:22

Apparently the teacher said there was no physical room for a desk, but DC keeps saying she doesn't understand as she thinks there is. Though that just her opinion!

Surely if the classroom is full, they shouldn't be accepting new students...

Draylon Thu 16-Feb-17 18:47:17

I guess one way to look at it is that extra students all increase the viability of the school. Is it just in one lesson in that by Y9 DC generally move between classrooms for different subjects, and is it the same DC who hasn't got room? Is there A Plan in place to manage the situation in the longer term?

Can I ask how many DC are in the class, and how big over all the school is?

An aside, I recall my village primary which I went to aged 7 in 1969. Three classes spanning 4-12 (one, only!). The senior class was a demountable/mobile (no WC!).

A developer built 40 new houses in the village, back in the day when they didn't have to contribute towards the local impact implications of their new estate.

By the time I went into seniors aged 8.5, the class was rammed! We were 3 to a double desk (4 legged one, not 6!); with a trestle table at the front and a wooden gym bench to sit on for the 3 newest up-comers from the junior class! grin. There was at one stage 42 of us in that class! However, we had an amazing teacher, Mr Owen, who was a bit of a John Keating (Dead Poets Society) character. We clever ones flew, tho were then packed off to GS a year early to make room but you wouldn't've wanted to be SEN sad.

But I digress!

MaisyPops Thu 16-Feb-17 19:09:36

When I've had 33 and 34 in my room (set up for 32), site staff gave me a couple of spare chairs and I added 1 extra to 2 tables. It was a bit of a squash but reasonable for the last tern as we just had some late additions.

A fee paying school should absolutely sort this out.

Astro55 Thu 16-Feb-17 19:12:58

DD is the last cimmer to one class - every lesson she has to go begging for a chair in another class - she sits alone facing a wall - rather than in twos facing teacher - she doesn't seem to mind at all - floor would be different

OneWithTheForce Thu 16-Feb-17 19:19:26

Does the teacher have a desk?

Fedupagain1975 Thu 16-Feb-17 19:22:47

They are in classes of 24, so not big! The school is only about 450. It not big ad I understand they are trying to grow, but not this is great for learning. Always the new kid that sits on the floor!

SnugglySnerd Thu 16-Feb-17 19:25:47

I work in a state school. When we have very large classes we use one of the folding exam desks to accommodate extras. A fee-paying school should be able to manage something!

bloodyteenagers Thu 16-Feb-17 19:34:43

That's terrible. Lack of thinking for the school/teacher to say on the short term basis all we need is a chair whilst furniture is re-jiggled. This way new student can join one of the other tables and make a group of three rotating this, or they can sit at my desk or even using one of the storage drawers etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now