Talk

Advanced search

Cheltenham Ladies boarding houses

(15 Posts)
foreverintraining Thu 16-Feb-17 17:37:08

Does anyone know if any of the junior houses still has the cubicle format? Any advice on the choice of house if visiting in person is not an option?
Thanks in advance!

S999 Thu 16-Feb-17 18:20:55

Hi! St Margaret's has the cubicle format. Glenlee definitley doesn't.

SpikeStoker Thu 16-Feb-17 20:02:16

As far as I'm aware it's just St Mag's that has the cubicles. Farnley and Glenlee definitely don't.

foreverintraining Thu 16-Feb-17 23:52:03

Thank you!

SpikeStoker Fri 17-Feb-17 16:11:26

I sorry I only answered your first question. If you can't visit in person don't worry, all the houses/housemistresses are lovely and your DD will think whichever house she's in is the best. If your DD is sporty and likely to be in lots of matches then Glenlee, St Mag's and Farnley are nearest to the sports facilities. If not then she may prefer to be nearer school as they go back to house for lunch everyday. Sidney Lodge has, IMHO, the best nickname, Slodge. And if gorgeousness is your thing St Helen's has been refurbished and Slodge are currently in Bunwell and being done. Rest assured though, you can't really make a bad choice. Every girl I've met is fiercely proud of her house. Hope this helps.

itschilly Fri 17-Feb-17 20:34:51

I was in St Mags many many moons ago and really liked having the cubicles ('cubs'). Went back a few years ago and they were still exactly the same- our names were still inside the wardrobes written in permanent marker! They had been tarted up a bit though.

Ojoj1974 Fri 17-Feb-17 23:37:55

We also need to chose. I have only seen Farnley. My DD seems keen on St Helens.
What are the house mistresses like? How do the houses differ?
Any advice?

foreverintraining Sat 18-Feb-17 04:29:33

Thx! That's comforting to know and speaks a lot about the school.

SpikeStoker Sat 18-Feb-17 15:05:08

Ojoj, if you can get to CLC my best advice would be to let your DD visit as many houses as you can and let her choose. We went for the one that we both felt the most at home in. Had we disagreed I'd have let DD choose as it will be her second homed for five years and she has to feel comfortable there. Some girls really want the shorter journey to school, others the sports fields. Some just feel they fit in with the girls already there. You aren't guaranteed your first choice so try and get your DD enthusiastic about more than one house, just in case; although I haven't met anyone who didn't get their first choice. CLC tries not to have a "sporty" house and a "musical" house etc, but most of the girls I've chatted to chose Glenlee, St Mag's and Farnley for proximity to the sports fields and often those three are put down as the three options, just in different orders. So obviously the girls in those houses like their sport on the whole. My DD has friends from various houses and they can go over to each other's houses and have friends from other houses over for birthday parties and of course forms are mixed. But if you can't visit or get round every house don't worry as every member of the house staff I've met are all lovely and they are very keen on the pastoral welfare of the girls.

Paffle Sat 18-Feb-17 15:17:25

St Mags is a long walk from College. My old house doesn't exist as a boarding house anymore. Now wondering how many of my contemporaries are on this thread.

TBH the actual house matters less than what the other girls in your year group in the house are like and you can't control that.

Anyone here a contemporary of the current Principal?

Ojoj1974 Sat 18-Feb-17 15:32:50

SpikeStoker Thank you so much. We are going to look around on 25th so hopefully it will all become clearer.
Does CLC like trunks or do they prefer holdalls? If trunks do they specify a size?

SpikeStoker Sat 18-Feb-17 15:52:20

No trunks Ojoj, suitcases. They also have a trunk scheme (additional cost, but worth it) where the girls don't bring everything home at the end of term. Lockable boxes are still an essential though.

Polly99 Sat 18-Feb-17 17:15:41

paffle I was in 2s I think when the Principal was in 6th form.

I was in Farnley (and not remotely sporty!!) I ended up there because there was space in my year. While I can't claim to have particularly fond memories of the house I did make good friends and I liked the decent-length walk back home after school. Also the field in summer.
If I were choosing for my daughter I would insist on meeting the housemistress. A good one can make a huge difference.

Paffle Sat 18-Feb-17 17:50:20

Agreed re housemistress

Wandastartup Sat 18-Feb-17 22:02:34

Eve was a couple of years above me.
Glenlee had 1 dorm of cubicles when I was there.
I think choose your house mistress is the most important advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now