Talk

Advanced search

Secondary schools in Barnet

(9 Posts)
yannyank Wed 15-Feb-17 08:59:23

We are thinking about moving to Barnet and looking at secondary school options for DS. I've looked at a few, but there are plenty that I don't know much about. Does anyone know anything about Christ's College Finchley, Friern Barnet School, Hendon School, Whitefield school? And am I right in thinking that The Totteridge Academy and London Academy, Edgware are not great?

Also, we're in a tricky situation as it'll be an in year admission - going into year 8 in Sep 2017, we currently living abroad (crown servants) and moving back to the UK in the summer. Plan is to move next door to our preferred school, but I know it's high risk, especially in London - does anyone have any advice on in year admissions??

MEgirl Wed 15-Feb-17 18:13:26

Have you looked at Mill Hill County?

Edgware is better than it used to be though it still doesn't have a great reputation. There is also QE boys.

You can call the schools to see which ones have places at the moment and enquire whether you can go on the waiting list for September. We were lucky that when we moved back the schools we were looking at (faith based) had places and held the place from March until September. Not sure if that would be a possibility now.

Good luck.

Davros Wed 15-Feb-17 23:40:17

If you are considering independent then the obvious one is Haberdashers. There's also Aldenham. I have a very good friend who lives in the centre of Barnet and her DS goes to a school called St Columba's which she is very happy with.

yannyank Thu 16-Feb-17 10:18:32

Thanks both. Yes, Mill Hill county looks good. QE boys great, but selective so I really don't know if it's even possible to get in as an inyear admission.

I have spoken to some schools, and seems like holding a space is not possible - if they have a space they have to offer it to the first on the waiting list (and I think it has to be taken up within 2 weeks) and we can't get anywhere near the waiting list till we have an address in the area.

Davros, no not considering independent - fingers crossed that the state sector can accommodate us.. !

Anyone else know anything about the schools in the OP?

Yokohamajojo Thu 16-Feb-17 13:51:39

You may want to look at Southgate School in Cockfosters and Ashmole in Southgate as well. Both considered very good. Friern Barnet has a reputation for being slightly laid back and not as academic as the two I have mentioned. Not as popular. Then you have Compton in Friern Barnet and Wren Academy also Friern Barnet, Wren is CoE

FanDabbyFloozy Thu 16-Feb-17 16:44:53

Correct info on the Totteridge Academy - it is under subscribed by far and doesn't even have a 6th form anymore. This seems to be where you get allocated if no places are available in your chosen school.

If you have faith, there are good options: JCOSS, JFS (both Jewish), Wren (CoE), Finchley Catholic High School (RC).

If not, the best options are the Compton which is very ambitious for the children, East Barnet, the Archer etc. But again it will be very hard to get a place mid year.

Is there no alternative route for crown servants (armed forces?) and school admissions? That seems rather unfair.

Davros Thu 16-Feb-17 19:38:13

I was going to say JFS if you're Jewish, I know lots who've been there

legscouldbelonger Fri 03-Mar-17 16:54:19

anyone know anything about Friern Barnet School. Difficult to find much info apart from the fact it got the deputy head from Alexandra Park School a year ago or so. Can't find anyone who has sent or knows a child who goes there.

CaurnieBred Sat 04-Mar-17 00:04:12

I have friends with children at The Totteridge Academy and they are all very happy with it. There was a new head this year and they were taken over by a new Academy Trust.

East Barnet also gets a good reputation but they are quite oversubscribed, so not sure about in-year admissions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now