Talk

Advanced search

Outwood Academy Ripon

(10 Posts)
user1487100020 Tue 14-Feb-17 19:27:25

Can anyone give me any information on this school? We are looking to relocate to the ripon area and I'm afraid my son won't pass the selective test for the granmar school and so am wondering if the alternative is a good school. Ofsted inspections aren't everything. Would like to know what the school is really like if anyone can help?

ElizabethBennettismybestfriend Tue 14-Feb-17 19:42:33

I don't know about this school but if you want a good school try King James Knaresborough

Rosieposy4 Tue 14-Feb-17 20:25:40

It is very outwood!
All to teach to a formula, currently the kids only di maths, english and science in year 11 to boost results, the sit the rest a year early. Not convinced this is in the students best interests.....

Also underwhelmed with king james in terms of the traching the kids have clearly had in main school ( teach quite a few of them in sixth form and none of them speak with enthusiasm about the quality of teaching or choice of specifications, and they are often quite keen students)

Justalittlebitblondie Wed 15-Feb-17 15:07:39

It's a personal choice, but I wouldn't send my children there - especially (I don't know if this is the case) if their sibling could be at the grammar school.,.

That said there are other options around - boroughbridge High has pupils from Ripon (there is a bus service) and if you attend church there are st Aidens and St. John fishers in Harrogate which are good and about half an hour away...

user1487100020 Wed 15-Feb-17 21:12:31

Thanks for the responses folks. We like the Ripon area and I'm worried that my son won't get into the grammar school so just need to know what the other choices are. I'll take a look at the other ones that have been suggested. Had thought we would be too far out of Harrogate to have any of their schools as an option.

Hippee Thu 16-Feb-17 00:11:20

My friend has two children at Harrogate Grammar, then moved to Ripon and couldn't get the second two in. They go to the Outwood Academy and are very happy with it.

MrGrumpy01 Fri 17-Feb-17 23:11:01

I am catchment for another Outwood school. I know someone who is very happy with her child there. But my impression was that it is very 'shiny'. The building was lovely I can't doubt that but it seemed that there was a lot of things done to make a good impression rather than nitty gritty of education.

Discipline standards are very high. However I can't argue that they have turned the school around, in just a few years they have doubled the pass rate and had the highest Progress 8 in the authority last year, so doing something right.

It wasn't for me, I just couldn't shake off a gut feeling I had but many others liked it and it has gone down as 1st choice for quite a few people.

Rosieposy4 Fri 17-Feb-17 23:13:37

Eer, no it did not have the highest progress 8 score in the authority last year.
Was that their spin on it hmm

Rosieposy4 Fri 17-Feb-17 23:14:31

Sorry, did you mean another outwood achool in another area!

MrGrumpy01 Fri 17-Feb-17 23:23:57

No I meant a different authority. I was commenting on a local one to me. As they are a MAT it seems they are all very similar in their outlook.

Sorry for the confusion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now