Talk

Advanced search

HELP NO 11+ OFFERS

(68 Posts)
mosi2014 Sun 12-Feb-17 09:16:32

DS has got no offers despite reasonable academic ability. Clearly none of the schools were right for him. No feedback given. What to do? In SW London. Prep School for 2 years and try some schools again for 13+ (very few don't do the pre-test). Ideally I would prefer a laid back school with smaller class sizes. Appreciate any suggestions.

jeanne16 Sun 12-Feb-17 09:19:05

Phone Radnor House , they might have a place.

mosi2014 Sun 12-Feb-17 09:21:19

Have a few friends kids who are waitlist on RH. Will try. Are you a parent there? Any views?

AuntieStella Sun 12-Feb-17 09:21:31

Try not to panic (easier said than done), and make sure you find something nice to do with your DS today.

Is he at a prep school now?

Were there any waiting list offers amongst the no thanks?

mosi2014 Sun 12-Feb-17 09:21:36

thanks btw!

AnotherNewt Sun 12-Feb-17 09:24:31

I don't think schools are likely to be taking new candidates at this stage in the admissions round, especially if you know they are already operating a waiting list. No harm in asking, but you need to be realistic because they are already managing their oversubscription procedures.

If you start moving away from London, the picture changes somewhat. Do you think your DS would take to weekly boarding?

mosi2014 Sun 12-Feb-17 09:25:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mosi2014 Sun 12-Feb-17 09:27:16

Thats why I was considering prep school for 2 years and then focusing on the schools that don't do the pre-test. Lots of change for him, but may be in his best interest.

mosi2014 Sun 12-Feb-17 09:28:14

possibly at 13 for weekly boarding. Not sure about now, but appreciate any suggestions for schools- will need to consider all options!

mosi2014 Sun 12-Feb-17 09:29:31

there's one possible waitlist.

AnotherNewt Sun 12-Feb-17 09:30:11

Is the school which goes to 11 a prep?

Because the advice in this situation is quite different depending on where you are coming from.

Also, did you make an on-time state school application?

helterskelter99 Sun 12-Feb-17 09:30:43

Where in SW London can he get to St George's at Weybridge or St Peters (?) atAshford?

AnotherNewt Sun 12-Feb-17 09:32:24

Right,, are you OK with posting which school has waitlisted him?

(How far schools go to their waiting lists in any particular year varies wildly, so if you'd rather keep that private, then fine. But if you say, and it's seen by a MNetter with an insight into this school this year, you might get some info.).

mosi2014 Sun 12-Feb-17 09:32:47

AnotherNewt- yes a prep. No state application.

Noitsnotteatimeyet Sun 12-Feb-17 09:33:50

Surely you've applied for state schools too? Why not see what he gets offered on March 1st? At this point the only private schools which will have places are ones which he'll either have to travel miles to or frankly aren't worth paying for

AnotherNewt Sun 12-Feb-17 09:41:40

First thing tomorrow you need to go in and see your current prep's head teacher.

It is their role to hit the phones both to plead your DS's way up the waiting list and to find out if there are any schools within commuting distance who are low on applicant numbers this year. Then to advise on which of these might be a suitable fit for your DS. Because even when it all seems panic stations, you do not want to start him at a school that's either a) distant/awkward to reach or b) expensive (or c) both) if it's not actually right for him.

Consider making a late application for a state school to cover a gap.

Schools are actually more likely to have the odd year 7 place closer to the start of term (because they think they have their list settled, as do most schools) then someone drops out. So do hold your nerve (if you can).

Also find out if your prep head can advise on which of the SW London preps which go to 13+ are likely to be a good fit for your DS and likely to prep him well for 13+ (which may again be by competitive entry). All the heads know each other, so it is an important source of advice.

tovelitime Sun 12-Feb-17 09:42:00

What does your head say? You're in a prep already so your head needs to get on the phone pronto to the head of the school where you are waitlisted. In the meantime, yes to a 13+ prep because if you haven't done a state application you need somewhere for him come September. The lists will move come march 1st when state schools offer places so you need to make sure that you're at the top to get the waitlist place

PlumT Sun 12-Feb-17 09:51:35

So sorry you are in this horrible situation. You'll prob be in limbo until the state school offers are out and the independent deadline for acceptance has passed, but I would talk to your prep school head and see if they can work on your behalf - their support is what you have been paying for. Also, it wouldn't do any harm to email the heads at the schools you applied for and express your and your dcs disappointment and that you are still very much interested in a place. Good luck.

sazzy5 Sun 12-Feb-17 09:54:28

We had this happen to a boy in my DS year, he moved to a prep school that went to 13. He is moving to a non selective school in September. All has been fine for him after what was a pretty horrendous few months of sorting it out. Good luck.

mosi2014 Sun 12-Feb-17 10:11:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ancienchateau Sun 12-Feb-17 10:13:32

Contact/call schools and let them know you are still interested despite not being on w/l and ring round other possible schools. I can think of 2 DC off the top of my head recently, who sat exams after the results were out for schools they hadn't previously considered and got in.

I know DC who have been through this. For some, places have come up despite not being on w/l after waiting list movement and state secondary results day in March. But you must ring round. And get your son's prep to do so as well.

jeanne16 Sun 12-Feb-17 10:22:21

You could consider Fulham Prep. Since they are now opening their own Senior school this September, he could start at the Prep school and then stay there for the Senior school.

mosi2014 Sun 12-Feb-17 10:38:57

Thank you to everyone for all your comments. Roll on tomorrow when I can pick up the phone. Didn't know about Fulham Prep so thats really great information. Which schools out of interest where the ones where DCs took exams after offers had been sent out!
Feeling a bit calmer now! :-)

mosi2014 Sun 12-Feb-17 11:17:35

any other suggestions appreciated too!

tovelitime Sun 12-Feb-17 11:20:58

Mosi, did he pass the exams and then not get offered on the basis of interview? If so then it's worth trying to get some feedback and maybe some interview help for him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now