Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Non-selective independant schools in SE London

(24 Posts)
SV1479 Sat 11-Feb-17 19:21:48

Dear parents,
We are looking for a non-selective independant school for our DS in South East London. He had not been able to get through the highly selective schools hence the only options we are left with are non-selective ones. We are currently living in West London and are considering to relocate to SE London. Appreciate your time in responding with suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Regards
SV

Mary21 Sat 11-Feb-17 19:43:01

Thames Christian College, Clapham,
Riverston, don't know it, has quite a big sen dept
The cedars Croydon
West London .Hampton Court House
Canbury , Kingston
Central London Elton sq upper school
I am trying to think of places that won't be full now. These are recommendations
Or try a prep for 2 years such as Newton Prep

LIZS Sat 11-Feb-17 19:45:35

Royal Russell is less selective than many.

MrsPatmore Sat 11-Feb-17 20:13:50

Colfe's, Farringtons.

PlumT Sat 11-Feb-17 20:15:57

Royal Russell and farringtons are not selective as far as I know. Colfes and St Dunstan's are selective but not 'super' like Dulwich schools (although applicant still need to be working above average for their age in English and maths).

SV1479 Sat 11-Feb-17 20:31:20

Many thanks for your kind replies. Will keep an eye out for more suggestions on this thread.

LIZS Sat 11-Feb-17 20:44:10

Ewell Castle is another although more South than Southeast London.

Mary21 Sun 12-Feb-17 08:21:52

My post above should read these are not recommendations, just school heard of on grapevine

Siennaxo1 Mon 13-Feb-17 17:07:14

I have the same problem! My 11 year old daughter applied for queens college, forest, colfes, Alleyn's and Francis Holland but didn't get into any. She is coming from a state school. As we are moving to SE1, the choices for state schools are not that great. Any recommendations would be appreciated. We are looking at northbridge house in Hampstead and perhaps Portland place and more house, so if anyone knows anything about these schools too would be great to hear!

Jaxx Mon 13-Feb-17 18:02:31

I've just posted on another thread - Thames Christian College in Clapham
Junction have a few places left.

We are going for a state option so didn't apply, but it seems a lovely place. I would have chosen it above Portland Place seems stronger academically, is on one site and fees are much more reasonable.

I have a boy, so More House not an option, but I know a couple of families with children there and they really like it.

Siennaxo1 Mon 13-Feb-17 18:22:06

Hi Mary

Your post was really helpful, thanks!
Do you know anything about Elton Sq upper school?

Siennaxo1 Mon 13-Feb-17 18:27:52

Thanks Jaxx

I will have a look at the Cristian school. Do you know if more house is quite academic? I don't really want to put her into more exams that she doesn't stand a chance of getting into.
X

Needmoresleep Mon 13-Feb-17 18:53:22

More House is not particularly academic. Catholic but not overridingly so.

Siennaxo1 Mon 13-Feb-17 21:06:31

Thank you x

Snax Tue 14-Feb-17 15:08:26

@sv1479 Depending on how far SE you plan to relocate...Wetherby Senior School could be a good option. It's relatively new and perhaps it's easier to get into at this stage; but not for much longer...hope this helps

SV1479 Tue 14-Feb-17 16:36:59

Thanks very much Snax and Lizs! Any SE location from where commuting to Central London or Canary Wharf could be easy. That is the reason for me to look for schools around SE postcodes.

LIZS Tue 14-Feb-17 16:56:34

If you're willing to head further into the suburbs, Dunottar in Reigate might be worth a look. It was a girls school but went coed a few years ago and is actively trying to recruit 50:50 boys to girls. Accessible from Sutton/Cheam and Croydon if you want a direct to commute into London.

dinkystinky Tue 14-Feb-17 16:57:58

Thames Christian College is really lovely - DS has an offer from there. We live in north west London and as its only a short walk from Clapham Junction he can get the overground there. Worth looking at.

dinkystinky Tue 14-Feb-17 17:00:37

Siennaxo - DS also has an offer from North Bridge House. I liked the school (as did he) and the interview process was very child orientated and quite gentle - which all bodes well. About 6 or 7 of his (small) class have received offers from there. The headteacher is very friendly and the children seemed sweet and friendly when we looked around a couple of times - only goes up to GCSE (same as Thames) whereas Portland Place (which we looked at but decided wasn't the right place for DS as spread over 3 sites) goes to A level.

MaryWortleyMontagu Tue 14-Feb-17 17:30:45

My daughter is at the pointer school in blackheath.

Siennaxo1 Wed 15-Feb-17 13:13:27

Thanks dinkystinky x

Michaelahpurple Thu 16-Feb-17 18:25:17

A bit left field, but the Halcyon School in central London?

beautifulgirls Thu 16-Feb-17 19:34:10

Farringtons is in Chislehurst which has a station directly into London, also several nearby areas with good train links to London. They do assess children but aren't super selective and take a broad range of ability.

SV1479 Fri 17-Feb-17 04:37:47

Thanks all smile, appreciate your responses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now