Talk

Advanced search

Kingston Grammar Reserve List for Sept 2017

(18 Posts)
Space2Be Fri 10-Feb-17 18:57:44

We received a letter from Kingston Grammar today and my son has been offered a place on the reserve list for Sept 2017? Does anyone know the chances of him actually getting offered a place? It is our first choice and we had set our hearts on this school for him?

amidawsh Fri 10-Feb-17 23:58:40

Based on previous years he has a good chance. They do not have capacity for a bulge class so are very careful with 1st round offers and do fill from the waitlist.
Good luck!

Username44 Sat 11-Feb-17 03:52:40

We were offered a place on the reserve list too. I thought I heard the Head Teacher say (at the Open Day) that 250 places were offered last year in total and they filled 95 but this doesn't sound right on reflection and I wonder if I misheard as my partner and daughter didn't hear it. Other posts on this topic, from previous years said that it helped to call the registrar which is something I hadn't considered as the letter says that the school won't know more till 5th March. I hope we get our children's first choice and it's nice to hear we stand a good chance but I don't feel lucky on this occasion somehow- though my daughter remains very hopeful and I will take heart from the reply above smile

Lohengrin Sat 11-Feb-17 08:01:08

Many KG applicants will have applied to Hampton, St Paul's, Westminster, and Tiffin as well. Some will receive multiple offers and are likely to favour these other options so I would have thought your chances were good.

Keepcalmandcarryon2017 Sat 11-Feb-17 08:19:31

Hello. We have offers from kgs and SHS, both scholarships, and are in a big dilemma. Veering towards Shs which would free up a place. I know at least 3 dd and ds who have offers from kgs but are planning to turn them down as have other preferences. So yes I would think wait list is positive as there will be masses of movement over the next couple of weeks. Hang in there!

QGMum Sat 11-Feb-17 09:27:57

Make sure you email the registrar saying that KGS is your first choice school and you would accept immediately if offered. That way you will be top of their list to call when they go to the waitlist.

Username44 Sat 11-Feb-17 10:37:30

Thank you for all the replies and original post. Yes, I was considering emailing and possibly calling in a couple of weeks. I would have thought that half of the applicants accept, you then have those that would have taken the 10+...Fingers crossed to those waiting and congrats to those with a positive result already.

Space2Be Sat 11-Feb-17 10:59:17

Thank you for all your kind messages and support. It is really helpful. I felt so disheartened yesterday as my DS had a general interview, and I suppose we led ourselves to believe he was not borderline. However, maybe the interview let him down as at times he can be shy and reserved especially if he is nervous! Who knows? Does anyone know if everyone who has had an interview but has not got an initial offer, is then offered a reserve list place? The next few weeks will be a little stressful but I know it does all generally work out for the best in the end. Well done to all those with offers and best of luck to everybody.

Username44 Sat 11-Feb-17 13:06:29

Yes, it will all work out for the best; I've been forced to remember how much my daughter still needs me. She was asked back for the general interview too and even asked to participate in the art scholarship practicals the week before so she was very hopeful. I had my reservations because I felt she was behind where she could and should have been still academically though we're aiming to catch up. We didn't have a tutor or send her to private school but I took a more active role in the last 8 months. I feel she may have come across unprepared in the interview and we hadn't practised interview questions which I feel guilty about. Some of her answers weren't confident and possibly appropriate and she said she didn't want to sound too confident / boastful, bless her! I've only heard of children being offered a place where they've known they were in the top 10 on the reserve list but this was for Tiffin. Obviously Tiffin is more competitive and those beyond 10 were rejected. We will know more on the 7th and if we are / aren't successful I will post a message but it will only be useful to those next year! The letter sounds like they really don't know and it could go either way. On the positive, I also know of children who had not made KGS their first choice and stood a good chance of being offered a place.

Space2Be Tue 07-Mar-17 09:51:41

Does anybody know if the KGS reserve list is moving? Thank you

Thisdoesnotgeteasier Tue 07-Mar-17 10:49:39

Space - I don't know if the KGS list is moving but I would encourage you to call the admissions office and 1. Reiterate your interest and 2. Get colour on whether the list is moving (and, if possible, where your DC is on the list).

Our DC was on the waitlist for two schools and we kept weekly contact with the schools through a call to the admissions officer. Ended up on Friday with both giving DC offers, so we ended up having options to consider over the weekend.

nocampinghere Tue 07-Mar-17 10:57:36

yes yes.
get calling (leave a message they will be v busy i'm sure) and follow up with an email.

you can bet the prep school heads are on it. if you don't have a prep school head you have to do it yourself.

Thisdoesnotgeteasier Tue 07-Mar-17 11:20:14

We also emailed one of the schools on Friday (had spoken a few days earlier) to basically say if spaces opened up that day or on Monday we would be able to respond positively asap. It was probably a complete coincidence but three hours later we got the call with an offer.

richmondven12 Tue 07-Mar-17 16:10:56

Good luck OP. Thisisnot, well done. Which school did you decide to go for in the end?

Thisdoesnotgeteasier Tue 07-Mar-17 16:36:34

We went with Surbiton. DD was very excited about it and I think it's a good fit for her - very sporty and academically middle of the pack.

Space2Be Tue 07-Mar-17 17:15:31

We received an email today that there was a high acceptance rate and that they will not be going to reserve list. Feeling deflated......

richmondven12 Tue 07-Mar-17 17:26:23

I am so sorry to hear Space, but I think things might be moving all the way till Easter- I would keep in touch with the registrar. Do you have a backup?
Thisnot we'll see you there, we also accepted Surbiton in the end, bar a miracle with PHS/LEH WL....

Space2Be Tue 07-Mar-17 19:04:21

Yes we do have a back up..... sort of...... but it is not really the school I wanted for him. Thanks everyone for all your support and messages, it does help, and congratulations to those who have had offers from their waiting lists.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now